CBS - Violation of Journalistic Ethics ?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 01:18:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  CBS - Violation of Journalistic Ethics ?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Did CBS behave in a morally wrong way
A clear and absolute Ethical Violation

I Thinnk it was morally OK.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 17

Author Topic: CBS - Violation of Journalistic Ethics ?  (Read 1538 times)
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 21, 2004, 10:40:42 AM »
« edited: September 21, 2004, 11:22:47 AM by The Vorlon »

It has been reported, and the Kerry campaign has confirmed, that during the "research" process for the Dan Rather story on the Bush's National guard service that CBS News placed Burkett, the "source" for their story in contact with Joe Lockheart of the Kerry campaign.

To Quote the RNC:

"The fact that CBS News would coordinate with the most senior levels of Sen. Kerry's campaign to attack the president is a stunning and deeply troubling revelation," said Dan Bartlett, White House communications director.

Is the RNC right?

It CBS actively introducing Bartlett to Kerry campaign people in some ways even more troubling than the fact they ran a false story?

ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2004, 11:44:35 AM »

Informing the Kerry campaign in advance so they adn the DNC could prepare to us ethe coming story to attack Bush is an ethical violation.

That the DNC did use this warning to prepare such an ad is very telling about the situation internally in the DNC and the Kerry camp.  They should have announced the CBS contact in advance, bashed the media (always a popular position) and denounce the story.  They would have gained 2-3% in the polls.
Light Touch

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2004, 12:16:02 PM »

It CBS actively introducing Bartlett to Kerry campaign people in some ways even more troubling than the fact they ran a false story?

It is for me.  It's one thing to dig for dirt too actively -- it's another to work towards a partisan agenda.  The former is informed by the latter.
elcorazon

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2004, 12:21:40 PM »

vorlon is continuing to push the republican talking points.
Light Touch

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2004, 12:25:24 PM »

This cuts broader than just Republican agendas -- this is a serious issue of journalistic integrity.

(Nothing new to us Libertarians, but now it's being openly directed at the Rs, too.)
stry_cat

Political Matrix
E: 6.25, S: -1.38

P P P
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2004, 12:35:49 PM »

You're mixing ethics and morality in this poll.  They're not the same thing.   What CBS did IMHO is a violation of both, but some people might not see it in that way.

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2004, 12:40:27 PM »

Journalists don't have ethics. Period.
Besides neither party has any room to speak as far as biased journalism goes.
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2004, 01:13:02 PM »

Yes, It is a GOP talking point, but to paraphrase Dan Rather.. "answer the question"...

Should a journalist be, in advance of  the actua airing of the story, be putting a antibush source in contact with the Kerry campaign.

Should CBS be actively acting as a conduit of anti-bush information to the Kerry campaign..?

Answer the question.. Shocked

It may be a GOP talking point, but it is a LEGITIMATE GOP point IMHO.

Again..

Should CBS be actively acting as a conduit of anti-bush information to the Kerry campaign..?

is this right or wrong...?

It is a simple question...

elcorazon

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2004, 01:23:50 PM »

Yes, It is a GOP talking point, but to paraphrase Dan Rather.. "answer the question"...

Should a journalist be, in advance of  the actua airing of the story, be putting a antibush source in contact with the Kerry campaign.

Again..

I guess I need to understand exactly what they did to answer.  If they just said, hey Kerry, here's somebody on your side so you might want to work together.  I'd say that's wrong.  If they were poorly attempting to get a feel for whether there was more info out there that could be gotten by the possible comparison of notes (sort of a lame attempt at confirming a source), then not so much.

My original post was basically a joke, dealing with your point that the "mainstream media" mimics the DNC talking points, and the fact that you seem to be starting a thread a day or more on this subject (which is for the most part not a part of the campaign, but a media blunder).
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2004, 01:53:58 PM »

BTW... I HATE the media.. Wink

Again..

I guess I need to understand exactly what they did to answer.  If they just said, hey Kerry, here's somebody on your side so you might want to work together.  I'd say that's wrong.  If they were poorly attempting to get a feel for whether there was more info out there that could be gotten by the possible comparison of notes (sort of a lame attempt at confirming a source), then not so much.

My original post was basically a joke, dealing with your point that the "mainstream media" mimics the DNC talking points, and the fact that you seem to be starting a thread a day or more on this subject (which is for the most part not a part of the campaign, but a media blunder).
cwelsch

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2004, 05:17:26 AM »

If the source is a presidential campaign then that should be the story: "X Campaign Denounces Opponent As Wife-Beater, Huguenot" instead of acting like it's objective.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2004, 07:47:02 AM »

Moral?  Ethical?  Tough to say.  I think they were stupid for not taking the time to ensure all the t's were crossed and i's dotted before running a potentially "lethal" news segment against a sitting President.  Now there is talk of federal laws being broken.  Just plain stupid on CBS's part.
VietnamVeteran
Rookie

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2004, 07:56:52 AM »

I think Dan Rather needs to resign to retain some sort of credibility to CBS (what it has left)

Not only has he a problem with Republicans but also every 16 years. Bush in 2004, Bush in 1988 and Nixon in 1972.

Its time to go Rather.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies