Cameron Parish, LA is a disgusting place.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:39:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Cameron Parish, LA is a disgusting place.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Cameron Parish, LA is a disgusting place.  (Read 14655 times)
MK
Mike Keller
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2008, 08:55:56 PM »

Along with his skin color, his name probably made many southerns uncomfortable, and the churches no doubt sent out flyers and other crap propaganda. I have witnessed this type of disgusting campaigning among the vermin. My mother's side of the family is HEAVILY evangelical, and votes that way. (except for my grandmother, who would never vote for Bush  back when she was in her right mind)  One of my kind of aunts sent my aunt, (who fronts as a Christian) an email about the 'Obama was raised Muslim' and 'he won't pledge to the flag' While my undoubtably retarded cousin in some way visited, my aunt spread this to her and my grandmother. My grandmother didn't believe it, her Obama hating hadn't yet kicked in. Nevertheless these people get motivated by this crap, this is how Rove gathered the evangelicals in 04, these rumors, like saying Kerry wanted to ban the bible and legalize gay marriage. Unfortunately, since most Christians have no brains and are led around like zombies to everything their church says, it sticks.

This much is true.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2008, 08:05:21 PM »

% vote, David Duke (runoff, 1991).
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2008, 10:01:37 PM »

If it wasn't for that owning on Meet the press Duke might have actually won the Governorship. I still can't believe this state even allowed this guy to run for Gov. 
LanceMcSteel

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2008, 10:34:57 PM »

Perhaps God is on to something when he continues to slam racist red states with hurricanes and tornadoes.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2008, 04:06:25 AM »
« Edited: November 23, 2008, 05:56:26 AM by Lewis (Scooter) Trondheim »

Meh. Don't remind me. Besides,

% vote, Strom Thurmond (Senate candidacies, any year).

they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2008, 01:17:09 PM »

I suppose this is noteworthy too:

Then again, there is also this:

MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2008, 02:44:28 PM »

Think god for Tim Russert.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2008, 10:10:13 PM »

cinyc,

Just pre-empting a tiff by pointing out that:

1. The Obama supporters arguing cogently here have basically stated that there wasn't sufficient issues difference 2000->2004, nor cultural difference, to account for a uniform swing in the opposite direction.

2. The swinging of those black counties had much more to do with higher black turnout because of an excited voting base than racism, which is the implication of #1

That puts the point of whether an affirmative racial vote is superior to a negative racial vote or not.

I think we've gotten into better nuance than that in this thread already though.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2008, 10:21:19 PM »

cinyc,

Just pre-empting a tiff by pointing out that:

1. The Obama supporters arguing cogently here have basically stated that there wasn't sufficient issues difference 2000->2004, nor cultural difference, to account for a uniform swing in the opposite direction.

2. The swinging of those black counties had much more to do with higher black turnout because of an excited voting base than racism, which is the implication of #1

That puts the point of whether an affirmative racial vote is superior to a negative racial vote or not.

I think we've gotten into better nuance than that in this thread already though.

Fine.  I've deleted my original post.  I wouldn't want to add an argument that isn't nuanced.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2008, 05:24:25 AM »

Now I want to know what it was. Angry
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2008, 01:07:59 PM »

Based on Alcon's reply I'll guess it was one of those "OH BUT BLACKS VOTED EVEN MORE STRONGLY FOR OBAMA!" red herring stupid posts.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2008, 04:38:46 PM »

Based on Alcon's reply I'll guess it was one of those "OH BUT BLACKS VOTED EVEN MORE STRONGLY FOR OBAMA!" red herring stupid posts.

Not quite.  It took issue with the unnecessarily incendiary subject of this post and asked whether the original poster would say the same thing about minority areas that swung to Obama but didn't swing to other Democrats.  And if not, why not.   

The fact is that no area is a "disgusting place" because of who they voted for or why.  There are many posts here by childish Democrats denigrating Republican areas as evil, but very few the other way.  Yet when someone tries to point this out, they get shouted down.

It also asked what David Duke did in the 1990s to deserve being kept off the Louisiana ballot.  As far as I remember, he wasn't a convicted felon at the time.  Disagreement with someone's repulsive political views should not be enough to keep somebody off of the ballot.  Why shouldn't the voters get to decide (as Louisianans did wisely)?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2008, 04:42:11 PM »

Since that's basically the same as saying this board has more Democrats than Republican, which it obviously does, why would you get shouted down?  Except by the people you're criticizing, but obviously you object to what they're doing, so...no real surprise there.

I don't think anyone's arguing that "the voters shouldn't get to decide" either (Huh), but just that the sudden realization of the awesomeness of the Republican Party between 2004 and 2008 seems less likely than racial/cultural/tribalist voting.  I think you have to intentionally strain to take it the way you're taking it.

not sure that makes it a 'disgusting place' though.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2008, 05:18:29 PM »

I must say, it's quite interesting that you say Landrieu having a French surname is why she did so much better than Obama in Louisiana (something I somewhat agree with) and then go on to use 1991 as further proof. What? A Klansman against a 3/4 Cajun man (who was the first Catholic Governor of Louisana in a long time)? Sorry, but Cajun Country voting for Edwards over Duke really doesn't prove anything.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2008, 05:35:19 PM »

I don't think anyone's arguing that "the voters shouldn't get to decide" either (Huh), but just that the sudden realization of the awesomeness of the Republican Party between 2004 and 2008 seems less likely than racial/cultural/tribalist voting.  I think you have to intentionally strain to take it the way you're taking it.

Here:

If it wasn't for that owning on Meet the press Duke might have actually won the Governorship. I still can't believe this state even allowed this guy to run for Gov. 

It seems to me that Mike Keller was saying Louisiana voters should have never been able to vote for or against David Duke because the state shouldn't have let him run in the first place.  Why not?  And if the state barred David Duke from the ballot because some folks don't like him, what would have stopped them from barring anyone else from the ballot?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2008, 05:58:47 PM »
« Edited: November 25, 2008, 06:01:52 PM by Alcon »

I doubt he literally meant that, but I had him on ignore without noticing.  Either way, that's one person in a thread of people.  I had thought (can't remember now since your post is gone) that you used a plural?

Well, whatever, comment withdrawn if not.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2008, 06:02:06 PM »

I doubt he literally meant that, but I had him on ignore without noticing.  Either way, that's one person in a thread of people.  I had thought (can't remember now since your post is gone) that you used a plural?

No.  My original post was primarily directed at Mike Keller's comment.  The thread headline was a secondary issue in the post.  I doubt I used a plural when addressing Mike Keller's comment.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2008, 06:04:37 PM »

Ah, my apologies then!
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2008, 07:06:45 PM »

I must say, it's quite interesting that you say Landrieu having a French surname is why she did so much better than Obama in Louisiana (something I somewhat agree with) and then go on to use 1991 as further proof. What? A Klansman against a 3/4 Cajun man (who was the first Catholic Governor of Louisana in a long time)? Sorry, but Cajun Country voting for Edwards over Duke really doesn't prove anything.

Fine; here's the 1990 Senate election:

% David Duke (again). Note that the Democrat in this election was from Shreveport and had an obviously Scottish name (Bennett Johnston).
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2008, 08:09:05 PM »

That's better. But it's still a white versus white race.

1995 Governor - White Republican versus Black Democrat
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2008, 08:20:33 PM »

That's better. But it's still a white versus white race.

More importantly it was a race between a fairly conservative white Democrat versus an openly and viciously racist Republican. Balking at voting for a black man is one thing, voting for the former head of the Klan is quite another.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2008, 08:46:10 PM »

Obama won two white plurality parishes in LA, Caddo and East Baton Rouge; while its three regions all saw modest Republican swings

Dave
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies