Anyone want to step up and defend consensual incest being legal (but a bad idea)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:52:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Anyone want to step up and defend consensual incest being legal (but a bad idea)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Poll
Question: ?
Keep the government out of the bedroom

No, scientifically sound rules of society should triumph

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 33

Author Topic: Anyone want to step up and defend consensual incest being legal (but a bad idea)  (Read 16516 times)
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2008, 07:03:46 PM »

Gotcha. Smiley
Countess Anya of the North Parish
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2008, 07:38:41 PM »

I think it has nothing to do with it being legal. No one will know unless you post it in you tube. It comes down to morals.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2008, 07:52:07 PM »

I think it has nothing to do with it being legal. No one will know unless you post it in you tube. It comes down to morals.

You know, contrary to popular belief, people have actually known about consensual incest and incest in general long before YouTube was around and well known.
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2008, 08:31:56 PM »

You know, contrary to popular belief, people have actually known about consensual incest and incest in general long before YouTube was around and well known.
Yeah but now people are always on the computer so they don't stick there nose in their nabores lives as much.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2008, 09:20:44 PM »

I hope that was an intentional typo.
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2008, 09:30:20 PM »

whopse
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2008, 09:33:28 PM »

Unless we get the technology to genetically alter fetuses in the womb(and removing the risks associated with incest) I'm leery of increasing acceptance for incest. Once we get that technology the game changes.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2008, 09:37:32 PM »

Unless we get the technology to genetically alter fetuses in the womb(and removing the risks associated with incest) I'm leery of increasing acceptance for incest. Once we get that technology the game changes.

This isn't about acceptance, this about legality.  I think most people here acknowledge there should be a taboo about this just like there is a taboo against landmines.

How do you answer the critiques in this thread about drinking or smoking during pregnancy (which are probably more heavily associated with genetic defects).  We don't have to be accepting of incest, or pregnant drinkers, but what do we do with them when we discover them?
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2008, 09:42:00 PM »

Should be legal. I would not bestow government recognition on incestuous "marriages," though.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2008, 10:11:52 PM »

Keep the government out of the bedroom.  Once it leaves the bedroom (marriage licenses, kids), I'm fine with it being illegal.

So, what should happen if the neighbors report that two siblings have six kids next door?

Foster family the kids and a fine?

A fine.  They can keep the kids.  The whole point of the law is because incestual intercourses often results in kids with defects.  If you can fix that, I'm fine with it, as long as nobody knows about it.
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #60 on: November 29, 2008, 11:39:00 PM »

What is the need for a fine because you've given birth to an incestuous, handicapped child?* It's sure as hell not the government's concern. At least, it shouldn't be. This speaks of a greater underlying mentality of regulation, and unaccepted diaviations of the norm that some of you think should be punished.

I think it's ridiculous to legislate against incest, even if the child is born with some handicap, you don't have to raise them.

*And not all children of incestuous relationships are born 'defective'.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #61 on: November 30, 2008, 12:22:37 AM »

Good post Earth.

I find this issue amusing since there is no clear-cut answer.  It's a  ridiculous minority of cases, but yet it can easily be used as a strawman or a logical tool to tear holes into any number of socially liberal arguments (that I support).

And I'd like everyone on this thread to discuss the legal extent that incest should be allowed and the penalties.

Stop short of marriage?  If so, WHY?

Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #62 on: November 30, 2008, 12:48:05 AM »

No law should be made either way. It should, of course, be socially frowned upon and viewed as morally unacceptable. 

Plus, it's just damn sick, dude.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #63 on: November 30, 2008, 01:01:41 AM »

The question isn't whether it's sick.

The law is forced to make a decision somewhere.  Should it allow kids?  Marriage licenses?  And if not, on what basis should they be refused?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #64 on: November 30, 2008, 01:12:11 AM »

The law is forced to make a decision somewhere.  Should it allow kids?  Marriage licenses?  And if not, on what basis should they be refused?

Based on the same reason polygamy is illegal - it'ss been shown to be unhealthy (or at least that's what some on the forum had argued when I said I thought it could be ok.  Then people gave statistics of spousal abuse, and I was willing to accept polygamy as illegal).
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #65 on: November 30, 2008, 01:17:29 AM »

What's the punishment for Polygamy anyway?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #66 on: November 30, 2008, 01:19:39 AM »

I voted "No", but what are you going to do, anyway? This seems more like a social thing than a criminal thing. Perhaps convicts of this crime should be dealt with in a compassionate, medical way than a hard and fast criminal way.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #67 on: November 30, 2008, 01:23:26 AM »

I voted "No", but what are you going to do, anyway? This seems more like a social thing than a criminal thing. Perhaps convicts of this crime should be dealt with in a compassionate, medical way than a hard and fast criminal way.

I want more than just platitudes though!

Define the exact extent the law should take and why.

Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #68 on: November 30, 2008, 01:28:02 AM »

Are you sure? I mean, "sick" is the the reason a lot of things are banned for the basis of being morally reprehensible and uncouth. Just look at some of the state laws in Alabama/Georgia...it being "sick" would be apt reason to ban in plenty of states/counties.

However, I suppose if a child is produced, then the child should be taken away for proper care while the parents are served with a hefty fine and threatened with jail time if another child is produced.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #69 on: November 30, 2008, 01:32:47 AM »

I want more than just platitudes though!

Define the exact extent the law should take and why.

This is a very tough issue to look into, though. Perhaps no closer than second cousin, unless there is proof that the sexual partners are incapable of producing children. There should also be no recognition of inter-family marriage because it would complicate the legal benefits allowed between the members.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #70 on: November 30, 2008, 01:34:14 AM »

And if not, on what basis should they be refused?

Because it's sick (thinking more of relationships between very close relatives here). Which isn't, actually, an awful reason to ban something. Another reason, of course, is the link with abuse. There are also serious problems with consent. And so on.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #71 on: November 30, 2008, 01:45:45 AM »

I am split on this issue... Really split.

I don't like the idea of standing in the way of two consentual adults in love... But I also know that incest is potentially dangerous for offspring.

I'll err on my libertarian side and say that the government should not stand in the way, although I would hope that they would choose to adopt rather than procreate if they wanted children.
danny
Israel

« Reply #72 on: November 30, 2008, 12:11:05 PM »

Based on the same reason polygamy is illegal - it'ss been shown to be unhealthy (or at least that's what some on the forum had argued when I said I thought it could be ok.  Then people gave statistics of spousal abuse, and I was willing to accept polygamy as illegal).

If there's spousal abuse involved why cant just prosecute for that?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #73 on: November 30, 2008, 04:46:59 PM »

If there's spousal abuse involved why cant just prosecute for that?

That's what I said, but some on the forum (and at the time, it was Democrats) argued against polygamy.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #74 on: November 30, 2008, 07:23:34 PM »

And I'd like everyone on this thread to discuss the legal extent that incest should be allowed and the penalties.

Stop short of marriage?  If so, WHY?

I would not "outlaw" incestuous marriage; at least, if by that you mean a law forbidding any two people, forming an incestuous couple, from living together in a manner roughly analogous to marriage.

As for state bestowal of marital status, that is a complicated issue. But the institution has normative and cultural significance; I would not have the government "overrule" societal values on this point. In granting marital status to an incestuous couple, the state makes a social statement that this is a morally legitimate relationship.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies