World's oldest person dies, aged 115
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 03:43:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  World's oldest person dies, aged 115
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: World's oldest person dies, aged 115  (Read 2528 times)
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 28, 2008, 10:41:29 AM »

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27944486/

World's oldest person dies at 115
Edna Parker didn't drink or smoke; outlived her husband by nearly 70 years
The Associated Press
updated 4:40 p.m. ET, Thurs., Nov. 27, 2008

SHELBYVILLE, Ind. - Edna Parker, who became the world's oldest person more than a year ago, has died at age 115.

UCLA gerontologist Dr. Stephen Coles said Parker's great-nephew notified him that Parker died Wednesday at a nursing home in Shelbyville. She was 115 years, 220 days old, said Robert Young, a senior consultant for gerontology for Guinness World Records.

Parker was born April 20, 1893, in central Indiana's Morgan County and had been recognized by Guinness World Records as the world's oldest person since the 2007 death in Japan of Yone Minagawa, who was four months her senior.

Coles maintains a list of the world's oldest people and said Parker was the 14th-oldest validated supercentenarian in history. Maria de Jesus of Portugal, who was born Sept. 10, 1893, is now the world's oldest living person, according to the Gerontology Research Group.

Parker had been a widow since her husband, Earl Parker, died in 1939 of a heart attack. She lived alone in their farmhouse until age 100, when she moved into a son's home and later to the Shelbyville nursing home.

Although she never drank alcohol or tried tobacco and led an active life, Parker didn't offer tips for living a long life. Her only advice to those who gathered to celebrate when she became the oldest person was "more education."

'She's never been a worrier'
Parker outlived her two sons, Clifford and Earl Jr. She also had five grandchildren, 13 great-grandchildren and 13 great-great-grandchildren.

"We don't know why she's lived so long," Don Parker said before his grandmother's 115th birthday. "But she's never been a worrier and she's always been a thin person, so maybe that has something to do with it."

Parker taught in a two-room school in Shelby County for several years after graduating from Franklin College in 1911. She wed her childhood sweetheart and neighbor in 1913.

But as was the tradition of that era, her teaching career ended with her marriage. Parker traded the schoolhouse for life as a farmer's wife, preparing meals for as many as a dozen men who worked on her husband's farm.

Parker noted with pride last year that she and her husband were one of the first owners of an automobile in their rural area.

Coincidentally, Parker lived in the same nursing home as 7-foot-7 Sandy Allen, whom Guinness recognized as the world's tallest woman until her death in August.

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

RIP
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 02:32:07 AM »

RIP.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 04:51:11 PM »

Indeed. It's awe-inspiring that she managed to live perfectly fine on her own until 100 and seemed pretty coherent all her years. She must have lived an amazing life with plenty of stories to tell.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 04:53:55 PM »

paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 12:18:54 AM »

RIP.

I wonder how many more people are left from the 19th century.  Come to think of it, does anyone know if there are any American WWI vets still alive?  I think the UK has 3. 
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 04:17:10 PM »

RIP.

I wonder how many more people are left from the 19th century.  Come to think of it, does anyone know if there are any American WWI vets still alive?  I think the UK has 3. 

One US WW1 vet from what I understand. Plus their are about 4 confederate widows still alive who refuse to be identified.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 07:27:24 PM »

RIP.

One US WW1 vet from what I understand. Plus their are about 4 confederate widows still alive who refuse to be identified.

I don't think it counts unless they were married to the soldier while he was fighting.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 07:30:46 PM »

RIP.

I don't think it counts unless they were married to the soldier while he was fighting.

They get money from the govt.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 07:38:42 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_surviving_veterans_of_World_War_I
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 07:44:19 PM »

RIP.

They get money from the govt.

Well, it shouldn't count.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008, 12:48:28 AM »

Only one man left who fought in the trenches.  What I would give to have a conversation with him. 
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2008, 01:03:13 AM »

WWI is fast disappearing from living memory. The poilu is already extinct.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2008, 01:18:04 AM »

Also worth noting that 15 WWI veterans have died in 2008, including the last from each of the Central Powers.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2008, 01:59:31 AM »

That's too bad. I've heard about this woman. Very interesting life. Isn't it true that the last doughboy lives in West Virginia?

Gee, I wonder how long it will be until the last WWII vet dies or when the last Vietnam vet dies. Perhaps by then, there will be many becoming centurarians, instead of 1 in 100 or 1 in 1000.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies