GOP Nominee for 2012. Includes nearly every possibility!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:12:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  GOP Nominee for 2012. Includes nearly every possibility!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Who will it be?
Gov. Sarah Palin
Gov. Bobby Jindal
Fmr. Speaker Newt Gingrich
Fmr. Gov. Jeb Bush
Sen. John McCain
Vice President Dick Cheney
Fmr. Mayor Rudy Giuliani
Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger
Gov. Charlie Crist
Mayor Mike Bloomberg
Gov. Sonny Perdue
Gov. Linda Lingle
Rep. Ron Paul
Gov. Tim Pawlenty
Gov. Haley Barbour
Gov. John Hoeven
Rep. Mike Pence
Gov. Mark Sanford
Fmr. Gov. Gary E. Johnson
Sen. Jeff Sessions
Gov. M. Jodi Rell
Sen. Joe Lieberman
Gov. Mike Rounds
Sen. Lisa Murkowski
Gov. Rick Perry
Fmr. Sen. Chuck Hagel
Gov. Jon Huntsman, Jr.
Gov. Mitch Daniels
Sen. Mike Johanns
Gov. Jim Douglas
Gov. Bob Riley
Sen. John Ensign
Fmr. Sen. John Sununu
Sen. Richard Burr
Sen. Martinez
Sen. Johnny Isakson
Sen. Tom Coburn
Sen. Mike Crapo
Sen. Lindsey Graham
Sen. Jim Demint
Sen. Sam Brownback
Sen. John Thune
Sen. Lamar Alexander
Sen. Bob Corker
Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchinson
Sen. John Cornyn
Sen. Mike Enzi
Sen. John Barrasso
Fmr. Ambassador Alan Keyes
John Cox
Other
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: GOP Nominee for 2012. Includes nearly every possibility!  (Read 4050 times)
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2008, 04:26:07 PM »

Why not? Huckabee is like Reagan in almost every sense. They both began their careers out of politics, then both became popular two term governors in their respective states. Both ended up second in the primaries during a Democrat year and both made very impressive performances. I am confident that just like Reagan, Huckabee will emerge on top next time and win.

You simply dislike Huckabee and bash him whenever he is mentioned.

I don't mean to bash him and I'm sorry if I comes off that way.  It's just that I don't think he'd be successful as the GOP's standard-bearer.  He has almost no economic bona fides except for his recent support of the Fair Tax, which not all Conservatives support and has almost no shot of ever being sold to the American people.  Plus, the fact that his only experience prior to being Lt. Governor was as a Baptist minister will only scare away independent voters.

Ronald Reagan was governor of the most populous state in the Union.  He arrived on the national scene as the Conservatism to Nixon's moderacy.  He was part of a movement that continued for twelve years, culminating in the 1980 election.  Mike Huckabee won the Iowa primary and provided some witty comments during the debates.  Comparing him to Reagan is like comparing 2008 Tampa Bay Rays to the '27 Yankees. 

He seems like a nice guy and relatively smart, but I see no reason why he should ever be President of the United States. 

Pretty good assessment.  Huckabee and Reagan both have that folksy charm.  But you're spot-on.  There's a reason Huck had trouble attracting fiscal conservatives.  What boggles my mind still is that he had trouble pinning down a lot of social conservatives like James Dobson.  They were a perfect match on the issues Dobson cares most about. 

However, with a few years to figure out what went wrong and hone his message, Huckabee could indeed be a force to be reckoned with. 
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2008, 06:42:01 PM »

If Obama has a successful first term, then I don't imagine the shrewder Republicans sacrificing themselves. If Obama has a poor first term, we might see some more credible candidates.

If Obama has a good first term, it will be Romney.

If Obama has a poor first term it should be Crist.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2008, 11:02:34 PM »
« Edited: December 02, 2008, 11:18:52 PM by North Carolina Yankee »

WHAT?Huh How could you forget Mike Huckabee??

Anyway, if Obama is unpopular and turns out to be another Carter, then the Republicans will naturally go the way of Reagan and nominate Huckabee (who like Reagan was second in the primaries during a Democrat year).

If Obama is popular, then they will nominate Giuliani or Palin as a "throwaway card" so as to not damage candidates like Huckabee who actually have a chance in 2016.

Anyway, I predict the former situation. So, Huckabee is the nominee, wins the election and becomes the new Reagan.

Problem Huck was not second. He came in third in overal popular votes. Check the primaries page on this site. He was also third in the delegates till Romney got out and his delegates started to drift over to McCain as Romney had wished. Huck is no Reagan. Huck is a reincarnation of Huey Long. If he or anyone like him is nominated I can guarrantee less then 100 Electoral votes.

Caucusus                               Primaries                          Total             
Romney         135,490 38.0%                     4,525,036 21.73%            4,538,526
Huckabee        85,545 24.0%                     4,179,514 20.07%            4,265,059

Romney beat Mike Huckabee to come in second in the popular vote by 273,467 votes. Of the 85,000 Huck got in Caucusus nearly half 40,000 came from his Iowa win and was based almost solely on Evengelicals. Huck came in 6th among non Evangelicals in IA. Huckabee would need a very divided field to win and I doubt he will get that like he had in 2008. Prediction:Mike Huckabee will never be President of the US and will never be nominated by the GOP. 
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2008, 12:20:48 AM »

Huckabee has charm. I cannot find anything unappealing about his personality.

Romney has nostalgia. He reminds me of the 50's, a great decade I never lived in.
Nixon in '80
nixon1980
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.84, S: -5.39

« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2008, 01:21:09 AM »

Prediction:Mike Huckabee will never be President of the US and will never be nominated by the GOP. 

This goes without saying.
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2008, 07:08:37 AM »
« Edited: December 03, 2008, 07:13:30 AM by big bad fab »

No Romney, no Huckabee....
No Cantor, no Petraeus....

No Olympia Snowe, no Susan Collins (if you also want the very highly unlikely)
No Condie Rice, no Bill Owens, no Rick Santorum (if you also want the zero-chance).
Arnie and Mel Martinez are foreign-born.
Cox is a Chris, not a John.

OMG.
Just lock this thread.
And post a new one.

(BTW, I would have voted Pawlenty if it'd be a good poll).
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2008, 12:20:12 PM »
« Edited: December 03, 2008, 12:34:02 PM by officepark »

Prediction:Mike Huckabee will never be President of the US and will never be nominated by the GOP. 

This goes without saying.

Yet you include 51 others, many of which have a much smaller chance than Huckabee of being nominated. Do you seriously think that Dick Cheney, Sonny Perdue or Jodi Rell (all included) would even seek the nomination, let alone actually being the nominee? This proves that your exclusion of Huckabee is not based on your/North Carolina Yankee's prediction/personal opinion. It is based on your disrespect for Huckabee and your refusal to include him as a candidate because of your bias toward him (might I add that this comes with no apparent reason, unless of course you are a RINO).
Nixon in '80
nixon1980
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.84, S: -5.39

« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2008, 10:01:32 PM »

OK EVERYBODY, LISTEN UP!

I messed this one up by not including Huckabee and Romney, that was a typographical mistake... as for all the others people have suggested (i.e. Santorum, Patreus, Snowe, Collins, etc), those are all people I actually forgot, and you are right to point them out.

I'M LOCKING THIS THREAD because I'm tired of people pointing out how absent minded I am... I'll redo it and post a new one soon.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies