GOP Nominee for 2012. Includes nearly every possibility! (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:44:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  GOP Nominee for 2012. Includes nearly every possibility! (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who will it be?
Gov. Sarah Palin
Gov. Bobby Jindal
Fmr. Speaker Newt Gingrich
Fmr. Gov. Jeb Bush
Sen. John McCain
Vice President Dick Cheney
Fmr. Mayor Rudy Giuliani
Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger
Gov. Charlie Crist
Mayor Mike Bloomberg
Gov. Sonny Perdue
Gov. Linda Lingle
Rep. Ron Paul
Gov. Tim Pawlenty
Gov. Haley Barbour
Gov. John Hoeven
Rep. Mike Pence
Gov. Mark Sanford
Fmr. Gov. Gary E. Johnson
Sen. Jeff Sessions
Gov. M. Jodi Rell
Sen. Joe Lieberman
Gov. Mike Rounds
Sen. Lisa Murkowski
Gov. Rick Perry
Fmr. Sen. Chuck Hagel
Gov. Jon Huntsman, Jr.
Gov. Mitch Daniels
Sen. Mike Johanns
Gov. Jim Douglas
Gov. Bob Riley
Sen. John Ensign
Fmr. Sen. John Sununu
Sen. Richard Burr
Sen. Martinez
Sen. Johnny Isakson
Sen. Tom Coburn
Sen. Mike Crapo
Sen. Lindsey Graham
Sen. Jim Demint
Sen. Sam Brownback
Sen. John Thune
Sen. Lamar Alexander
Sen. Bob Corker
Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchinson
Sen. John Cornyn
Sen. Mike Enzi
Sen. John Barrasso
Fmr. Ambassador Alan Keyes
John Cox
Other
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: GOP Nominee for 2012. Includes nearly every possibility!  (Read 4077 times)
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« on: December 01, 2008, 03:54:50 PM »

From the list, Mike Pence.  Though Tim Pawlenty looks like another fellow who will appeal to most Republicans, too.  Perhaps a few more than Pence, even.

If the economy is in horrible shape like it is now, I'd say Romney's stock rises.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 04:26:07 PM »

Why not? Huckabee is like Reagan in almost every sense. They both began their careers out of politics, then both became popular two term governors in their respective states. Both ended up second in the primaries during a Democrat year and both made very impressive performances. I am confident that just like Reagan, Huckabee will emerge on top next time and win.

You simply dislike Huckabee and bash him whenever he is mentioned.

I don't mean to bash him and I'm sorry if I comes off that way.  It's just that I don't think he'd be successful as the GOP's standard-bearer.  He has almost no economic bona fides except for his recent support of the Fair Tax, which not all Conservatives support and has almost no shot of ever being sold to the American people.  Plus, the fact that his only experience prior to being Lt. Governor was as a Baptist minister will only scare away independent voters.

Ronald Reagan was governor of the most populous state in the Union.  He arrived on the national scene as the Conservatism to Nixon's moderacy.  He was part of a movement that continued for twelve years, culminating in the 1980 election.  Mike Huckabee won the Iowa primary and provided some witty comments during the debates.  Comparing him to Reagan is like comparing 2008 Tampa Bay Rays to the '27 Yankees. 

He seems like a nice guy and relatively smart, but I see no reason why he should ever be President of the United States. 

Pretty good assessment.  Huckabee and Reagan both have that folksy charm.  But you're spot-on.  There's a reason Huck had trouble attracting fiscal conservatives.  What boggles my mind still is that he had trouble pinning down a lot of social conservatives like James Dobson.  They were a perfect match on the issues Dobson cares most about. 

However, with a few years to figure out what went wrong and hone his message, Huckabee could indeed be a force to be reckoned with. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies