Clinton nominated as SOS
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:35:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Clinton nominated as SOS
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Clinton nominated as SOS  (Read 3064 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 01, 2008, 11:20:09 AM »

Surprised at no thread as it's official now.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 11:44:44 AM »

Already been talked to death.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 12:55:58 PM »

Well not quite since she can't officially be nominated until Obama is inaugurated.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 03:00:37 PM »

Probably a politically smart move, though I'd really rather have someone else...
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 03:03:56 PM »

Clinton is a risky choice, but could pay huge dividends if successful.

By the way, I'm kind of uneasy about Obama's Iraq withdrawal policy knowing that Gates and Jones will have a huge say.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 04:08:59 PM »

Probably a politically smart move, though I'd really rather have someone else...

Agreed. Hell, I'd rather have Senator Lugar as Secretary of State rather than Senator Clinton.

By the way, I'm kind of uneasy about Obama's Iraq withdrawal policy knowing that Gates and Jones will have a huge say.

He'll probably flip-flop on his Iraq policy once more, like he has done so many times during the campaign. If Obama as President does decide to withdraw American troops from Iraq I would be truly surprised.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 04:11:51 PM »

Well, he did say today that he's sticking to the 16 month withdrawal plan for combat troops. However, he did leave himself a way out when he said he'll listen to what Gates, Jones and his generals have to say.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 05:43:56 AM »

I would have rather had Richardson, but I'm sure Clinton will perform the job competently.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 06:03:10 AM »

Smart move for the both of them.

Hillary's thinking = 2016 and making sure that she can boost her resume.

Obamas thinking =  Don't have to worry about her in 2012 pulling a Ted and I get a strong person to handle things abroad, while I handle things on the home front.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 09:18:04 AM »

This is really russian roulette.  How do you reign her in and have her go out and preach YOUR agenda instead of hers, Mr. President-Elect?

MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008, 09:30:10 AM »

This is really russian roulette.  How do you reign her in and have her go out and preach YOUR agenda instead of hers, Mr. President-Elect?

Good question.

It could be that Obama doesn't trust his own foreign policy agenda and cares more about issues on the home front. 
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2008, 09:31:52 AM »

Good question.

It could be that Obama doesn't trust his own foreign policy agenda and cares more about issues on the home front. 

My next question is - How in the hell do you ever fire her?  You can't she's bullet proof.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2008, 09:39:49 AM »

Good question.

My next question is - How in the hell do you ever fire her?  You can't she's bullet proof.

She will just step down.  She's clearly doing this for gain, not because she likes working with Obama. I see her steping down in 2012 regardless of the of the type of job she does in those 4 years. Hillary wants to be president and what better way to sure up any experience questions for down the road.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2008, 09:41:48 AM »

Good question.

She will just step down.  She's clearly doing this for gain, not because she likes working with Obama. I see her steping down in 2012 regardless of the of the type of job she does in those 4 years. Hillary wants to be president and what better way to sure up any experience questions for down the road.

I agree, I guess I was just saying she has the job til SHE decides she doesnt.  That's not a position to put yourself in if you're Obama....but he's no dummy, so we'll see.
Trilobyte

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2008, 09:48:38 AM »

Good question.

Easy. Bush never had to fire Paul O'Neil or Colin Powell; they got the hint and left after it became clear they were being alienated by the administration.

Not that I think this is what Obama will do to Hillary. There is actually a good chance that things will go well.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2008, 10:00:40 AM »

Good question.

I agree, I guess I was just saying she has the job til SHE decides she doesnt.  That's not a position to put yourself in if you're Obama....but he's no dummy, so we'll see.

These 2 really don't like eachother that's what I personally think, however they respect eachother in a strange way. 

Wacthing the press conference and seeing both of them stand there heres the bubbles:

Hillary - I really should be the president elect if it wasn't for that damn MSM...2012 is out of the question, so I'll wait until 2016 and by being sec state, just so if this SoB has a great presidency .. they'll have no choice but to give it to me then.

Obama - I'm in over my head on this foreign policy stuff and would rather put trust in somebody who's on my level... also I don't have to worry about this Bitch trying to pull a Ted Kennedy on me if I slip up in 4 years... win win.

They are both thinking ahead.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2008, 10:35:25 AM »

Hillary is not even Constitutionally eligible for this office.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Article_One_of_the_United_States_Constitution#Clause_2:_Independence_from_the_executive
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2008, 11:47:58 AM »

Correct.

They will just lower the pay level back down before Jan 20.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2008, 11:57:00 AM »

Too bad about not having a real secretary of state, but I suppose Clinton is about as good as it gets for an amateur one.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2008, 12:48:35 PM »

Good question.

Oh geez. I thought the primary would put an end to this "Hillary is unbeatable, you can't ever have your way with her." nonsense. Of course Obama can screw her over, he already did!
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2008, 02:52:48 PM »

what a slap in the face to all who bled for Obama during the primary season.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2008, 02:54:22 PM »

what a slap in the face to all who bled for Obama during the primary season.

I know for a fact that Hillary is the right choice for Sec of State. The UK is very happy about it! Thats why!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies