Breaking news***
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:41:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Breaking news***
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Breaking news***  (Read 11220 times)
MK
Mike Keller
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2008, 07:09:32 AM »

Enough already with this nonsense.

Republicans never learn even after getting bentover backwards Nov 4.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2008, 08:04:24 AM »

Conspiracy theories are credible as long as they're about democrats, isn't that obvious?

Remember people, States is the first person to start complaining about tin-foil hats if any theory happens to attack a Republican.

For me? I hate hacks on both sides...they're equally stupid and annoying.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2008, 08:52:11 AM »

Of course had McCain won, all the lefties on here saying this is a non-issue would be all over McCain being born in the Panama Canal Zone.

I'm not a leftist. But I voted for Obama. Even if McCain had won, I would be against people making a deal out of McCain being born in the Panama Canal Zone. That's just dumb as this is dumb.

I couldn't vote because I'm not American. I wouldn't have voted for Obama even if I could have voted. But this seriously rubbish! The guy won an election, it wasn't close, he clearly had the support of the nation, it's time to move on and plan on winning the 2010 midterms. Seriously! You don't go trying to bring down governments which clearly have the support of the people just because you don't like the election result, that's how it works in third world nations where the quest to govern is more important than democracy. Democracy supercedes the party system. Give the guy a break! HE WON AN ELECTION!
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2008, 09:58:21 AM »

Of course had McCain won, all the lefties on here saying this is a non-issue would be all over McCain being born in the Panama Canal Zone.

I'm not a leftist. But I voted for Obama. Even if McCain had won, I would be against people making a deal out of McCain being born in the Panama Canal Zone. That's just dumb as this is dumb.

I couldn't vote because I'm not American. I wouldn't have voted for Obama even if I could have voted. But this seriously rubbish! The guy won an election, it wasn't close, he clearly had the support of the nation, it's time to move on and plan on winning the 2010 midterms. Seriously! You don't go trying to bring down governments which clearly have the support of the people just because you don't like the election result, that's how it works in third world nations where the quest to govern is more important than democracy. Democracy supercedes the party system. Give the guy a break! HE WON AN ELECTION!

Well, I also think this suit is trash.  But we are ruled by law, so if Obama is not a natural born citizen, then he must go and Biden must be sworn in.  The election result is only legitimate if it was conducted in accordance with the laws that were in place on election day.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2008, 10:39:21 AM »

Well, I also think this suit is trash.  But we are ruled by law, so if Obama is not a natural born citizen, then he must go and Biden must be sworn in.  The election result is only legitimate if it was conducted in accordance with the laws that were in place on election day.

Well, if the election was illegitimate, shouldn't the whole thing be thrown out and a new one held?  Seems more correct than just naming the VP who won due to an illegitimate black candidate.  Maybe Bush and Cheney should just stick around for a year or so, till a re-run can be arranged..
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2008, 11:08:29 AM »

Well, if the election was illegitimate, shouldn't the whole thing be thrown out and a new one held?  Seems more correct than just naming the VP who won due to an illegitimate black candidate.  Maybe Bush and Cheney should just stick around for a year or so, till a re-run can be arranged..

isn't there some law that basically states "if the president-elect is unable to take office, the vice president-elect will be sworn in"?  or does that only apply to after the Senate has officially voted in the electoral college?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2008, 12:01:54 PM »

isn't there some law that basically states "if the president-elect is unable to take office, the vice president-elect will be sworn in"?  or does that only apply to after the Senate has officially voted in the electoral college?

I don't know.. maybe its in the constitution.  But I'm sure something could be done about that..
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2008, 12:28:11 PM »
« Edited: December 03, 2008, 02:07:32 PM by Stranger in a strange land »

Obama is a natural born citizen. For the state of Hawaii to have a fraudulent birth certificate on record would require a conspiracy involving at least dozens of people. The state of Hawaii has already commented on this matter, stating that the Certification of Live Birth is legitimate, and they are the ultimate authority with regard to this matter. The document posted online meets all of the State Department's requirements for verification of citizenship.

This has about as much credibility as 9/11 Truth, the claim that the moon landings were faked, the Michelle Obama Whitey tape, or the claim that Trig Palin is Bristol's son.

Also, remember that the Hillary and McCain campaigns each spent millions of dollars on opposition research, and if there were even a wiff of legitimacy to this story, it would have come out during the "Kitchen Sink" phase of the Hillary Campaign, especially in view of Mark Penn's suggestion that the best strategy for defeating Obama was "othering" him, and what better way to do that than suggest that he wasn't really a natural-born citizen?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2008, 03:27:39 PM »

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/birthcertificate.asp
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2008, 03:33:13 PM »

in view of Mark Penn's suggestion that the best strategy for defeating Obama was "othering" him, and what better way to do that than suggest that he wasn't really a natural-born citizen?
Proving that he is an extraterrestrial?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #60 on: December 03, 2008, 03:34:45 PM »

in view of Mark Penn's suggestion that the best strategy for defeating Obama was "othering" him, and what better way to do that than suggest that he wasn't really a natural-born citizen?
Proving that he is an extraterrestrial?

or Mexican
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2008, 04:29:50 PM »

Forgive me because this is the first time I'm actually reading into this, but what's the craziest possible outcome?  Obama is not a natural-born citizen and Congress amends the Constitution so that he's qualified?

Congress can't amend the Constitution by itself.
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #62 on: December 03, 2008, 04:44:07 PM »

Forgive me because this is the first time I'm actually reading into this, but what's the craziest possible outcome?  Obama is not a natural-born citizen and Congress amends the Constitution so that he's qualified?

well, there's a remote possibility they could call a constitutional convention.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #63 on: December 03, 2008, 05:16:56 PM »

No, 2/3 of the states' legislatures would have to approve it.
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #64 on: December 03, 2008, 05:44:51 PM »

true...but it might be easier than the normal method (2/3 of both houses of congress + 3/4 of the state legislatures)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #65 on: December 03, 2008, 06:58:16 PM »

There actually was a thread about that. Let me see if I can find it.
ill ind

« Reply #66 on: December 03, 2008, 09:08:07 PM »

I have a hard time believing that anybody would buy into the theory that Frank Marshall Davis is Obama's father.  That's the theory advanced by Andy Martin.  Martin ran in the GOP primary for U.S. Senate in Illinois this year and the party ran away from him as fast as possible.  In fact the State of Illinois refused to give the guy a lisensce to practice law because he is a certifiable nutcase.  Too bad with the internet, any nutball can advance any theory they want and there are people who want to believe it because they want to find a reason to discredit someone they disagree with---providing a ready audience to soak up such nonsense.
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #67 on: December 03, 2008, 09:29:35 PM »

I have a hard time believing that anybody would buy into the theory that Frank Marshall Davis is Obama's father.  That's the theory advanced by Andy Martin.  Martin ran in the GOP primary for U.S. Senate in Illinois this year and the party ran away from him as fast as possible.  In fact the State of Illinois refused to give the guy a lisensce to practice law because he is a certifiable nutcase.  Too bad with the internet, any nutball can advance any theory they want and there are people who want to believe it because they want to find a reason to discredit someone they disagree with---providing a ready audience to soak up such nonsense.

Martin is also an anti-Semite, and has been labeled a vexatious litigant by a number of courts.
Governor PiT
Robert Stark
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -0.87

« Reply #68 on: December 03, 2008, 10:46:56 PM »

I doubt it. Anyone who doesn't kiss AIPAC's ass 100% of the time is an anti-semite. If he truely was why would neo-con Israel 1ster Hannity have him on his show?

Martin is also an anti-Semite, and has been labeled a vexatious litigant by a number of courts.
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #69 on: December 04, 2008, 12:07:15 AM »
« Edited: December 04, 2008, 12:33:11 AM by Stranger in a strange land »

I doubt it. Anyone who doesn't kiss AIPAC's ass 100% of the time is an anti-semite. If he truely was why would neo-con Israel 1ster Hannity have him on his show?

his views on Israel, whatever they may be, have absolutely nothing to do with the fact that he's an anti-Semite. Israel =/= Jews. Among other things, in an official legal motion, he referred to a judge as "a crooked, slimy Jew who has a history of lying and thieving common to members of his race" and later stated that his dealings with Jews made him less sorry that the Holocaust occurred.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #70 on: December 04, 2008, 12:09:54 AM »

true...but it might be easier than the normal method (2/3 of both houses of congress + 3/4 of the state legislatures)

My point was just that Congress can't just magically do this.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #71 on: December 04, 2008, 12:20:05 AM »

They could retroactively make all people born to an American parent under the age of 19 outside of the United States prior to 1963 (?, forgot when exactly the law was changed) an American citizen. (Because it would be true today, and applying it retroactively would make Obama a natural-born citizen even if he were born outside of the US.)
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #72 on: December 04, 2008, 12:32:08 AM »
« Edited: December 04, 2008, 02:13:07 AM by Stranger in a strange land »

They could retroactively make all people born to an American parent under the age of 19 outside of the United States prior to 1963 (?, forgot when exactly the law was changed) an American citizen. (Because it would be true today, and applying it retroactively would make Obama a natural-born citizen even if he were born outside of the US.)

congress can't pass ex post facto laws, but I suppose what they could do is amend the consitution, pass it to the states, and then have the house elect Obama president.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #73 on: December 04, 2008, 01:35:10 AM »

No.  They can't pass ex post facto laws.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #74 on: December 04, 2008, 02:35:29 AM »

It doesn't matter who his father is if he was born on American soil.

Excellent point.  Barack Obama's father could be Sadam Hussein or Castro and it still wouldn't matter because Barack was born on American soil.  It doesn't matter who your parents are, as long as you're born on American soil you are a natural born citizen of the United States.

McCain lost.  Obama won.  Get over it.  America rejects your racist hate-mongering point of view and if you don't like it then you can get the hell out of the country.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies