Breaking news***
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:53:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Breaking news***
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Breaking news***  (Read 11230 times)
Daniel Z
Switzerland

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -5.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: December 04, 2008, 04:01:06 AM »

Is there any proof at all that Obama was born in Kenya? If not this I don't see why this is an issue.
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #76 on: December 04, 2008, 04:35:56 AM »

Hillary isn't even constitutionally eligible for SoS but seemingly no one cares.

Can you explain me why ?
What is the theory ?
Daniel Z
Switzerland

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -5.91

« Reply #77 on: December 04, 2008, 05:14:00 AM »

Hillary isn't even constitutionally eligible for SoS but seemingly no one cares.

Can you explain me why ?
What is the theory ?
Because the pay level for the SOS has increased by about $4,000 since Clinton was elected to the Senate. The Emoluments Clause in the constitution prevents members of Congress from being appointed a government office that has had a pay raise during their term in Congress. Congress will probably lower the SOS salary, to its previous level so Clinton can serve.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #78 on: December 04, 2008, 07:11:11 AM »

Can you explain me why ?
What is the theory ?
Because the pay level for the SOS has increased by about $4,000 since Clinton was elected to the Senate. The Emoluments Clause in the constitution prevents members of Congress from being appointed a government office that has had a pay raise during their term in Congress. Congress will probably lower the SOS salary, to its previous level so Clinton can serve.
However, that fix really is in line only with the spirit of the Constitution, but not the letter.

Wiki article that tells you all you need to know
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #79 on: December 04, 2008, 07:20:21 AM »

Oh, OK, I was aware of that problem, but, even if I'm not a fan of Hillary, let's drop this point...

When this article of the Constitution was written, there wasn't a similar pay system.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #80 on: December 04, 2008, 10:05:50 AM »

Why is this six pages?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #81 on: December 04, 2008, 03:57:40 PM »

Can you explain me why ?
What is the theory ?
However, that fix really is in line only with the spirit of the Constitution, but not the letter.

Wiki article that tells you all you need to know

I don't think the Saxbe fix is a valid fix for the problem; however, this is one part of the Constitution that I'd be willing to overlook.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #82 on: December 05, 2008, 06:48:10 PM »

Oh, OK, I was aware of that problem, but, even if I'm not a fan of Hillary, let's drop this point...

When this article of the Constitution was written, there wasn't a similar pay system.

No, absolutely not. We will not "drop" the issue. If it's a constitutional issue it most certainly needs to be brought to the forefront, immediately. And I don't believe you can just "lower" the pay scale and be in line with the constitution.

however, this is one part of the Constitution that I'd be willing to overlook.

Seriously?
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #83 on: December 05, 2008, 07:04:33 PM »

Because stupidity generates more debate than well thought out opinions in which most posters share common ground.

That and the fact that threads filled with hot air tend to rise and swell like balloons.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #84 on: December 05, 2008, 07:43:01 PM »

No, absolutely not. We will not "drop" the issue. If it's a constitutional issue it most certainly needs to be brought to the forefront, immediately. And I don't believe you can just "lower" the pay scale and be in line with the constitution.

Well, luckily, no one cares, and the rest of us will keep on living our lives. Also I don't remember you being outraged when they got rid of habeas corpus or spied on Americans or passed the PATRIOT Act or elected Bush President with the Supreme Court, but I guess it was all Republicans doing that, instead of a LIBRUL.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #85 on: December 05, 2008, 08:01:12 PM »

Seriously?

Saxbe fixes have been common in administrations of both parties... It's honestly never been a big deal.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #86 on: December 05, 2008, 08:31:31 PM »

Well, luckily, no one cares, and the rest of us will keep on living our lives. Also I don't remember you being outraged when they got rid of habeas corpus or spied on Americans or passed the PATRIOT Act or elected Bush President with the Supreme Court, but I guess it was all Republicans doing that, instead of a LIBRUL.

Well moron, since you already know all my stances on those issues you are correct to slam me on that. But I'm not going to discuss this issue with you anymore. I'll spend my time typing a lengthy post for a more legitimate poster. On top of that, you weren't even here when those so called issues came to light.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #87 on: December 05, 2008, 08:33:16 PM »

Seriously?

Saxbe fixes have been common in administrations of both parties... It's honestly never been a big deal.

Yeah, the Constitution only matters when the issue is important to you.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies