Obama's Secretary for Veteran Affairs = General Shinseki
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:02:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Obama's Secretary for Veteran Affairs = General Shinseki
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Obama's Secretary for Veteran Affairs = General Shinseki  (Read 2338 times)
ChrisFromNJ

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -8.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 06, 2008, 06:04:57 PM »

http://cbs13.com/campaign08/obama.taps.shinseki.2.881494.html
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 06:09:05 PM »

Obama's administration will have the most Hawaiian-born people in American history!
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 06:14:00 PM »

FF
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 10:48:52 PM »

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=89458.0
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 10:52:29 PM »

Good choice. One of his best yet, probably.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 01:15:16 AM »

Like I said, maybe if he gets along well with Obama he might get promoted to replace Gates.  *crosses fingers*

Not because I dislike Gates, but Shinseki would be a great appointment and the very essence of anti-Rumsfeld.  Seems a waste to have him handling veteran's welfare administrative duties.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2008, 01:22:57 AM »

Not because I dislike Gates, but Shinseki would be a great appointment and the very essence of anti-Rumsfeld.  Seems a waste to have him handling veteran's welfare administrative duties.

He wouldn't be eligible until 2013. So he won't replace Gates unless Obama decides to keep Gates on for his entire first term.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2008, 02:06:07 AM »

He wouldn't be eligible until 2013. So he won't replace Gates unless Obama decides to keep Gates on for his entire first term.

Wait, what are these eligibility requirements?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2008, 02:07:14 AM »
« Edited: December 07, 2008, 02:12:13 AM by Lunar XVII »

I think that kind of thinking is why the VA is in as much trouble as it is. It can't just be seen as some dinky administrative role for anyone but the best. It needs a face that says "this matters, and we need someone important and intelligent to make it work."

Yes he would make a find SecDefense, but we need someone like this heading up the VA. This is a great pick and I hope it brings greater, more urgent funding for our veterans.

Dude, I so care about Defense 1000000000000x more than I care about Veteran's Affairs.  I don't care if I'm part of the problem, it really doesn't concern me that much if the bureaucracy is 8% more effective at covering medical prescriptions for veterans over 73.

I think Shinseki has shown the independent state of mind, intelligence, courage, and honesty to make him one of the best Secretary of Defenses in recent history.  I mean, Gates was great, but that's from merely is administrative skills.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2008, 02:14:10 AM »

Keeping Gates at defense is one way of winning the trust of the military. It'll be interesting to see how Obama handles his relations with the military, given his sparse record in the area and that most vets probably voted McCain.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2008, 02:15:44 AM »

Wait, what are these eligibility requirements?

From Wikipedia:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2008, 02:23:38 AM »
« Edited: December 07, 2008, 05:40:18 AM by Lunar XVII »

Oh thank you.  Never knew that.  I support leaving Gates on for four years then.  Not that my internet-support is the most pressing thing in Obama's mind (I hope it's #3 or #4 most important thing in Obama's mind, and I'm being modest).
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2008, 01:23:42 PM »

Keeping Gates at defense is one way of winning the trust of the military. It'll be interesting to see how Obama handles his relations with the military, given his sparse record in the area and that most vets probably voted McCain.
Well, they did, but not by an overwhelming margin. McCain only won vets 54-44. Plus, Obama has had the support of a number of retired military officers throughout the campaign.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2008, 01:39:16 PM »

Well, the cabinet is the cabinet.  Shinseki will be able to offer his valuable opinion regardless of whether he is SoVA or SoD.  And, as has been stated, this makes him the likely successor to Gates.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2008, 08:21:05 PM »

It's a good choice.  I've been a fan of Shinseki for a long time, and posted a few months ago that he'd make a fine secretary of Defense.  (Although in retrospect I think it's a good idea that Obama recruited Bush's second Defense secretary, given that we're at war, or wars actually, just now.)  I think Shinseki would also make a good choice for Veteran's Affairs, and I think it's a fitting honor for a very honorable soldier, even if he is gay.

Wonder if he even wants the job?  He's probably miffed, but I imagine that being secretary of veteran's affairs must beat selling insurance and advising bankers, which is what he has been doing ever since he pissed off Rumsfeld.  I suppose he'll take the job.  And he'll probably give ol' Donald a well-deserved middle finger.  Wouldn't you?  Living well is the best revenge.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies