Florida GOP Primary: Mack vs. Bush?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 04:06:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Florida GOP Primary: Mack vs. Bush?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Florida GOP Primary: Mack vs. Bush?  (Read 4650 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 03, 2008, 06:15:59 PM »
« edited: December 03, 2008, 06:17:48 PM by Lunar Sr. »

Jeb has pretty much stated his very large interest in running.

But here's another:

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/news_politics/2008/12/source-mack-ext.html

One well-placed GOP source tells us it is "extremely likely" that Republican U.S. Rep. Connie Mack IV of Fort Myers will jump into the open race for the U.S. Senate, now that incumbent Mel Martinez is retiring.

"It will be a wide open race," said the source, who asked not to be named.

Mack is the son of former U.S. Sen. Connie Mack and would have to be considered a serious candidate on the GOP side, given the strong name recognition he'll bring to the race.

Stay tuned.

Note: Two famous politician's sons
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 06:31:28 PM »

Yes!  Go Connie!  This would be excellent.  Hopefully Bush doesn't run, Mack would be a superb addition to the Senate.  Bush would be a 'meh' addition.

What is so hot about Connie?  I am just asking, since you seem almost orgasmic over the guy.  What causes you to assume that level of agitation? Smiley
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 06:36:40 PM »
« Edited: December 03, 2008, 06:41:02 PM by Lunar Sr. »

Yes!  Go Connie!  This would be excellent.  Hopefully Bush doesn't run, Mack would be a superb addition to the Senate.  Bush would be a 'meh' addition.

What is so hot about Connie?  I am just asking, since you seem almost orgasmic over the guy.  What causes you to assume that level of agitation? Smiley

....Connie gave a big endorsement of Romney during the primaries, obv Roll Eyes Smiley
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 06:49:28 PM »

GO CONNIE!!!!
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 07:00:17 PM »

Even without my concerns about Mack, I would still want Jeb and he'll win fairly easily. This would be a very dumb move for Mack.
agcatter
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 07:23:48 PM »

I can't see him running if Jeb runs.  A big if I still believe.

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 08:14:39 PM »

Even without my concerns about Mack, I would still want Jeb and he'll win fairly easily. This would be a very dumb move for Mack.

Concerns with what?

The guy left his wife for Congresswoman Mary Bono. For some reason, I remember being disgusted when I heard this. I'm pretty sure it was because there weren't any serious problems (at least not reported) with his ex-wife. I obviously don't know what went on in the marriage but people can do some pretty low things.
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 08:58:02 PM »

I thought Jeb should have ran two years ago when he could have maybe won us a senate seat. I’m not sure if I’d want him in there now though. He may be popular in Florida, but I think the less Bushes(Bush's?) we have connected with the party for the next few decades, the better.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 09:02:51 PM »

Jeb is 55 now.

Any outside chance at a presidential run (should he succeed) in '12 (less likely) or '16 (slightly less less likely)?

Or will the Bush name continue to be poison in 2016?  I mean, George H.W. Bush got trounced in '92 but that didn't stop his son from rising to the top. 
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 09:07:22 PM »

Or will the Bush name continue to be poison in 2016?  I mean, George H.W. Bush got trounced in '92 but that didn't stop his son from rising to the top. 

Big difference.
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 09:07:56 PM »

Jeb is 55 now.

Any outside chance at a presidential run (should he succeed) in '12 (less likely) or '16 (slightly less less likely)?

I like Jeb. I’ve watched him whenever a hurricane comes in, and was always stupidly impressed by him giving speeches in Spanish as well as English. That could be a big help for us, at least theoretically. However, even if people forget about Bush or he does some stuff to rehabilitate his image, I think the GOP’s tired of being considered the “Bush party”. He could run, but I don’t think he’d get too far. Too many others hungry for it , and if the GOP wants to be competive again, we need to move away from the Bush era, and I don't think we can move from one to another.

And please someone bump this in 8 years if I am proven wrong.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 09:09:24 PM »

Big difference.

Word.  Of course.

It'd be a longshot of a longshot, but an interesting one for political junkies to consider.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2008, 09:30:08 PM »

Mack would never challenge Bush in a primary period. But if he did I would definately support Mack. He has been a committed conservative and has served his district well. Unlike some sons of polticians who just run on the family name(Casey) Mack is his own man with a very good record. A strong fiscal conservative and opponent of Terrorism and Dictators like Hugo Chavez. He challenged Joe Kennedy Jr's efforts to bring in oil from Venuezuela to give to poor Americans and I like people who aren;t afraid to fight with a Kennedy especially and difficut issues like that. I really wasn't surprised by his endorsement of Mitt Romney considering his record. He also has a good record on Immigration an  A- from Americans for Better Immigration. Much better than Martinez who has a D. Bush is also Pro-Amnesty and that is the only thing that keeps me hoping he doesn't run. Mack is also very young(41 or 42 I believe) and the GOP needs to attract more young candidates to appeal to younger voters. His family name provides appeal to older voters who have fond memories of his popular father who was reelected in 1994 with 70% and who have no reason not to be impressed with the younger Mack.

Phil unless you have more details about the situation I wouldn;t make assumptions about his divorce and marriage.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2008, 09:41:30 PM »
« Edited: December 03, 2008, 09:43:13 PM by North Carolina Yankee »

I thought Jeb should have ran two years ago when he could have maybe won us a senate seat. I’m not sure if I’d want him in there now though. He may be popular in Florida, but I think the less Bushes(Bush's?) we have connected with the party for the next few decades, the better.

I agree. He and Mike Johanns(R-NE) could have ran in 2006 and possibly gained us Senate Seats that year. Instead Johanns decided to become a cabinet member and avoided a 2006 run against Ben Nelson(D-NE) who I think he could have beaten. Then he hijacked an open Senate seat in 2008 from a young conservative rising star, state Atty Gen Jon Bruning.

Likewise Bush avoided a race against Bill Nelson(D-FL), whom Bush could have beaten, and now might hijacked an open 2010 race from another young conservative rising star Rep. Connie Mack IV.

Who would have thought Nebraska and Florida with have so much in common. No wonder the GOP is in such bad condition when our best candidates refuse to challenge Dems and instead go for easy open seats and deprive the next generation of Senators from getting elected. 
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2008, 11:06:59 PM »

I saw some article earlier today already crowning Jeb as the leader of a "Southern Republican Rebellion" against Obama in 2010. Interesting idea...
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2008, 11:20:12 PM »

Jeb would've made a good PResident. It's a shame his brother probably ruined any chances.
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2008, 12:16:37 AM »

Jeb's definitely a more competent guy than his brother, but I disagree with his social conservatism a lot.  There was an example I was gonna mention, but I didn't want the thread going off topic, so I'll give a lamer one:  He made "In God We Trust" the state motto, which isn't a big important deal, but it still irritates me on a separation of church and state level.

I don't know too much about Connie Mack, but Wikipedia did say he opposed the PATRIOT ACT and the bailout, so those are two big plus signs...  As a libertarian though, I'm sure he's done a totally justifiable good deed through Government regulation or intervention that I'll hate him for Tongue

That said, if Bush runs I think he'd almost certainly be the GOP candidate, because like others have said, he's just very popular here.
catmando
Rookie

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2008, 02:12:48 AM »

Connie Mack IV is my congressman and is wildly popular in District 14 -- he wins with 60-65 percent of the vote. But there is no way he would challenge Jeb if former Gov. Bush decides to run. That would be political suicide.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2008, 02:16:20 AM »

Oh boy, nepotism.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2008, 02:20:45 AM »

Connie Mack IV is my congressman and is wildly popular in District 14 -- he wins with 60-65 percent of the vote. But there is no way he would challenge Jeb if former Gov. Bush decides to run. That would be political suicide.

It's possible though that he and Bush are playing chicken with one another to formally declare.   If Mack declares first in an attempt to force out Bush, he might be committed if Bush calls him out.

I wouldn't be so sure.  Mack also has a great last name in Florida politics, and although it's older, at least Mack hasn't been trashed by a sitting president with god-awful approval ratings with the the same last name....

I think it'd be 70/30 odds in favor of Bush, but I think Mack would have a solid shot at it.  It depends on whether Bush has been cultivating the connections he needs or not since he exited office...

*I have no idea about Florida politics, but I'm just a bit skeptical everything that assumes anything
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2008, 02:01:20 PM »

I would like to see this guy Marco Rubio make a run.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2008, 06:39:37 PM »

Jeb Bush is an excellent choice and one I'd support 150%.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2008, 06:47:17 PM »

I would like to see this guy Marco Rubio make a run.
I doubt he could win. His name recognition in Florida is quite low and he would never be able to match up to Bush or Mack.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2008, 06:49:32 PM »

Big difference.
true. George HW Bush wasn't near-universally reviled like his son.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2008, 07:52:24 PM »

I think that the GOP has an excellent shot at retaining this seat, no matter who gets the nomination.  I'm both excited about Connie Mack and Jeb Bush (more so Mack), and think they would be excellent senators, and quite possibly be leaders.

Jeb will probably get the nomination, though.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies