Florida GOP Primary: Mack vs. Bush?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:26:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Florida GOP Primary: Mack vs. Bush?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Florida GOP Primary: Mack vs. Bush?  (Read 4640 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2008, 08:57:44 PM »

I would like to see this guy Marco Rubio make a run.
I doubt he could win. His name recognition in Florida is quite low and he would never be able to match up to Bush or Mack.

I'm sure he means if Jeb and/or Mack don't run. Rubio wouldn't challenge his mentor (Jeb) and I think everyone knows that.
catmando
Rookie

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2008, 04:29:12 AM »

How so? Both Jeb and Connie have solid records of accomplishments to stand on.
catmando
Rookie

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2008, 04:34:20 AM »
« Edited: December 12, 2008, 04:37:07 AM by catmando »

Connie Mack IV is my congressman and is wildly popular in District 14 -- he wins with 60-65 percent of the vote. But there is no way he would challenge Jeb if former Gov. Bush decides to run. That would be political suicide.

It's possible though that he and Bush are playing chicken with one another to formally declare.   If Mack declares first in an attempt to force out Bush, he might be committed if Bush calls him out.

I wouldn't be so sure.  Mack also has a great last name in Florida politics, and although it's older, at least Mack hasn't been trashed by a sitting president with god-awful approval ratings with the the same last name....

I think it'd be 70/30 odds in favor of Bush, but I think Mack would have a solid shot at it.  It depends on whether Bush has been cultivating the connections he needs or not since he exited office...

*I have no idea about Florida politics, but I'm just a bit skeptical everything that assumes anything

Once Jeb announced he was interested, Connie couldn't get out a press release fast enough saying that he fully supports the former Governor and that he would make a great senator. Jeb is that popular here and Connie would never challenge him. No Republican would. Now it is a waiting game. Connie will let Jeb make the first move.
catmando
Rookie

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2008, 04:44:43 AM »

I would like to see this guy Marco Rubio make a run.

A real long shot ... poor name recognition. He also would have a hard time pulling the numbers a Republican needs in North Florida. Mel Martinez underperformed in North Florida (3-5% behind W) and almost lost to Betty Castor in 2004. But Bush was able to pull him across the finish line.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2008, 04:27:14 PM »

Indeed. President's son vs. Senator's son.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2008, 04:29:52 PM »

Write in John Fogerty!
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2008, 05:19:49 PM »

Jeb is 55 now.

Any outside chance at a presidential run (should he succeed) in '12 (less likely) or '16 (slightly less less likely)?

Or will the Bush name continue to be poison in 2016?  I mean, George H.W. Bush got trounced in '92 but that didn't stop his son from rising to the top. 

HW got kicked out in 1992 pretty much because of the economy, not because of anything horrible he did.  As time passed during the 90s, I think opinion towards him warmed, which gave his son a chance.

Bush 43 is completely different.  I doubt feelings will warm to him afterwards one bit.

Frankly, I can't see another Bush being elected President until the next generation, at best.  As such, if Jeb wants public office, Senator from Florida is probably the best he can get.  And he'd have to be considered the favorite in a general election - his approval rating was sky-high when he left office, even as his brother's was not.

Also, if Jeb Bush runs, no other quasi-sane Republican will run in the primary.  Bank on it.
catmando
Rookie

« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2008, 04:52:03 AM »

If nepotism is always assumed by family relation, then it "MUST" also apply to:
1. Jerry Brown
2. Al Gore
3. Hillary Clinton
4. Evan Bayh
5. Anyone named Kennedy
6. Anyone named Daley
7. Anyone named Rockefeller
8. Anyone named Jackson.

Correct?
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2008, 04:57:04 AM »

Jeb is 55 now.

Any outside chance at a presidential run (should he succeed) in '12 (less likely) or '16 (slightly less less likely)?

Or will the Bush name continue to be poison in 2016?  I mean, George H.W. Bush got trounced in '92 but that didn't stop his son from rising to the top. 

HW got kicked out in 1992 pretty much because of the economy, not because of anything horrible he did.  As time passed during the 90s, I think opinion towards him warmed, which gave his son a chance.

Bush 43 is completely different.  I doubt feelings will warm to him afterwards one bit.

Frankly, I can't see another Bush being elected President until the next generation, at best.  As such, if Jeb wants public office, Senator from Florida is probably the best he can get.  And he'd have to be considered the favorite in a general election - his approval rating was sky-high when he left office, even as his brother's was not.

Also, if Jeb Bush runs, no other quasi-sane Republican will run in the primary.  Bank on it.

Well, my money is that if Jeb Bush made a run in 2016 (let's assume President Obama were re-elected), than not only would likely odds favor a Republican victory that year, but Bush would have all conservative support, most of the primary locked up, fantastic funds, the popular record as a two-term Governor and Senator from a large swing state....it could happen.

Never say never.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2008, 09:05:58 AM »

If nepotism is always assumed by family relation, then it "MUST" also apply to:
1. Jerry Brown
2. Al Gore
3. Hillary Clinton
4. Evan Bayh
5. Anyone named Kennedy
6. Anyone named Daley
7. Anyone named Rockefeller
8. Anyone named Jackson.

Correct?

9. Casey
10. UDALL
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2008, 04:12:28 PM »

Jeb Bush will never be president. He'll likely spend a good 3 or 4 terms in the senate, maybe become Majority Leader. Jeb Bush's popularity with hispanics could help GOP grassroots.

George P. Bush will be president, I believe though.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies