If Allen never utters those faithful words....
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:07:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  If Allen never utters those faithful words....
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If Allen never utters those faithful words....  (Read 3060 times)
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 04, 2008, 08:40:57 PM »

....and goes on to win his race by about 10-15 points not only keeping his seat but keeping the GOP in control of the senate:

Does Allen with the 2008 nomination?
If Allen enters, but loses, who wins the nomination?
If McCain is the nominee who wins Virginia?
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 09:28:49 PM »

I think McCain never enters the race, and Allen wins the nomination.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 10:23:59 PM »

Well, Huckabee still would've won Iowa.  But what would've happened with Romney?
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 11:05:15 PM »

You don't think Allen could've won?  Didn't Huckabee take a lead in the polls only a short time before the cauci?
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 11:17:36 PM »

I don't know how George Allen praying has anything to do with this.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 11:19:03 PM »

I see Allen as sort of an alternate Thompson.  It would only be a matter of time before some kind of stupid comment.

Oh.  I never really knew that much about him.  I just assume that, had he beaten Webb and ran for President, he would've been the "establishment candidate".
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 11:20:58 PM »

You don't think Allen could've won?  Didn't Huckabee take a lead in the polls only a short time before the cauci?

I think he could've.  I don't think he would've.

I see Allen as sort of an alternate Thompson.  It would only be a matter of time before some kind of stupid comment.

Agreed.

I don't know how George Allen praying has anything to do with this.

I think Down meant fateful.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008, 11:23:13 PM »

He took the lead in late November, about five weeks before the caucus.  Of course, he'd been gaining in the polls for some time before that:

And I agree with the proposition that, if Allen had been in the race and been seen as a credible candidate as late as spring 2007, Thompson never would have run.  Everyone else still would have run.

paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2008, 11:31:17 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

He took the lead in late November, about five weeks before the caucus.  Of course, he'd been gaining in the polls for some time before that...

Ah.  My mistake.

And I agree with the proposition that, if Allen had been in the race and been seen as a credible candidate as late as spring 2007, Thompson never would have run.  Everyone else still would have run.

Am I correct in my assumption that Allen would've been the establishment candidate?  That might've deterred other Senators from running, no?  I think he would've polled well in Iowa and might've been able to hold that lead.  It seemed as though Huckabee was a last resort for the typical Iowa Republican. 
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2008, 11:50:48 PM »

Am I correct in my assumption that Allen would've been the establishment candidate?  That might've deterred other Senators from running, no?

He would have been as much the "establishment candidate" as Thompson was in the spring of 2007 (before Thompson actually entered the race).  That is, the kind of candidate who the GOP establishment was comfortable with, but not one who the establishment would have unanimously rallied around like they did around Bush in 2000 or Dole in 1996.

80% of becoming the "establishment candidate" is the establishment concluding that you're inevitably going to win the nomination anyway, so they'd better rally around you in order to be in your good graces.  I don't think Allen would have been that kind of frontrunner (if he ever would have been the frontrunner at all).

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2008, 12:12:56 AM »

He would have lost by more than McCain. Also he probably would have ended up calling Obama a macaca anyway. Barack and macaque even rhyme. He just wouldn't have been able to resist the urge.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2008, 12:27:17 AM »

He would have lost by more than McCain. Also he probably would have ended up calling Obama a macaca anyway. Barack and macaque even rhyme. He just wouldn't have been able to resist the urge.

Heh, good point. If Allen called Obama macaca, he would have made McCain's performance look good.
pragmatic liberal

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2008, 03:24:56 AM »

The whole "macaca" incident revealed all kinds of skeletons from Allen's closet: reports that he had been involved in racist intimidation in high school, numerous former associates (even including Larry Sabato!) attesting to Allen having made racist remarks or used the N-word in his youth.

Perhaps had Allen early on acknowledged having made "racially insensitive" comments in his youth, he could have gotten away with it, though it would still have been a severe handicap. However, given how incompetently he handled the fallout of that in real life, I really don't think he would have handled it any better in a presidential campaign. Seriously, I think it's quite possible Allen would have imploded well before Iowa.

(And Allen was already a flawed candidate even without the Macaca comments or his history of racism -- he was, superficially, a Bush clone who was already losing popularity in his home state. By mid-'07, it would have been clear he'd have been headed to a big loss if he were the nominee and a lot of the Establishment would have bolted.)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2008, 05:30:04 AM »

McCain would definitely have run anyway. I'm not sure how Allen would have done, but I'm inclined to think he would not have won the nomination. I'm pretty sure he would have made it easier for McCain to win New Hampshire, anyway.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2008, 06:55:49 AM »

Allen wouldn't have won by 15 points. He wouldn't have lost of course, but this was Virginia in 2006. Far too many newly partisan Democrats for this partisan a Republican to win a blowout. That race would have tightened pretty much no matter what.

Allen running for President is quite likely. Him winning the nomination less so. Thompson presumably wouldn't have run, and Allen would have taken part of Romney's non-Mormon vote. Does that keep him viable for long enough to prevent the stampede of establishment conservatives to McCain? Perhaps. Probably not.

Heh, good point. If Allen called Obama macaca, he would have made McCain's performance look good.
Everybody who considered running for the 2008 Republican nomination would have made McCain's performance look good. McCain's performance was good. Allen wouldn't have needed to call the Democratic nominee names in order to go down Goldwater (or at least, say, Willkie) style.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2008, 02:29:48 PM »

Nothing would have prevented McCain from seeking his life long dream of becoming President, regardless of who ever else may have been a candidate for the GOP nomination.

Under the circumstances as described in this scenario, Allen would have been a good possibility for VP.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2008, 11:20:13 PM »

DWDL has this nasty habit of hearing cliches through spoken word, and then spitting them out incorrectly when remembering phonetically and attempting to transcribe into text.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2008, 11:26:07 PM »

DWDL has this nasty habit of hearing cliches through spoken word, and then spitting them out incorrectly when remembering phonetically and attempting to transcribe into text.

You know what they say, it takes two to tan a goat.

But that's like adding incense to the inquiry.
Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2008, 09:34:02 AM »

He's probably dyslexic.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2008, 03:34:27 PM »

Yeah, there was the whole "mute" point thing LOL
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2008, 12:28:40 AM »

Jay Leno would like to make an on-topic addition to this thread using a BRTD favorite word "cul-de-sac:"

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies