Has anyone read The Nine by Jeffrey Toobin?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 07:23:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Has anyone read The Nine by Jeffrey Toobin?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Has anyone read The Nine by Jeffrey Toobin?  (Read 4303 times)
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 05, 2008, 09:31:13 PM »

I've read the prologue and first chapter, but am concerned that it might just be a hit piece against strict-constructionism.  I don't yet subscribe to any theory of how to read the Constitution, but would rather not read 350 pages of Scalia, Thomas, etc. getting ripped apart.  If he criticizes them here and there, that's fine.  But I don't want to waste my time reading something written with explicit political motivation.

Any insight?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 10:34:24 PM »

I found it very enjoyable; it's not an attack on Scalia and Thomas, although it is harsh on Thomas sometimes.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 04:47:19 PM »

I found it very enjoyable; it's not an attack on Scalia and Thomas, although it is harsh on Thomas sometimes.

Thanks!  I'll definitely continue reading it. 
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 04:53:42 PM »

Read it last Christmas.  From what I remember the book didn't attack Nino so much as it was more scathing of Thomas (his lack of questions during oral argument).  I seem to remember, maybe incorrectly, that it depicted Scalia somewhat favorably if only to shiat on Thomas by comparison though nothing as vitrolic as a lot of the other usual criticisms.

paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 04:57:30 PM »

Read it last Christmas.  From what I remember the book didn't attack Nino so much as it was more scathing of Thomas (his lack of questions during oral argument).  I seem to remember, maybe incorrectly, that it depicted Scalia somewhat favorably if only to shiat on Thomas by comparison though nothing as vitrolic as a lot of the other usual criticisms.

Yeah, that type of criticism is not unexpected and I have no problem with it.  I just wasn't sure if the entire book was based around it.  I appreciate the input. 
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2008, 05:48:38 PM »

I read it shortly after it debuted. It was, alas, full of errors--some of them stark. But perhaps most of them (or even all of them) have been corrected in subsequent editions.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2008, 05:54:38 PM »

I read it shortly after it debuted. It was, alas, full of errors--some of them stark. But perhaps most of them (or even all of them) have been corrected in subsequent editions.

Interesting.  I have the first edition, so I'll keep an eye out for those issues.  If it gets to be too much I'll see if I can get hold of a more recent edition.
Jeff from NC
Rookie

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 08:12:16 PM »

I can't speak to its accuracy, but I loved the way it described each judge.  He doesn't really take ideological sides, though he does come down on the court pretty hard for Bush v. Gore.
Jeff from NC
Rookie

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2008, 08:22:43 PM »

I followed the link, and thought that that article was a pretty unjust review.  He paints of the picture of the book that I don't remember, basically pulling random quotes that are supposed to show how Toobin treats the justices with disdain.  In fact, Toobin portrays all of them as human beings with strengths and flaws.  Furthermore the reviewer complains that Toobin doesn't cite his sources.  While that may not fly in academia, in journalism (especially political journalism) without anonymous sources you don't get much news.  C'est la vie.  The fact that Toobin didn't interview Rudman - who cares?  Finally he decries an "insistent reductionism" of the Justices' views into left and right.  The book does not go into legal theory too heavily, but this is also unfair, since the reviewer mainly cites Bush v. Gore - which came down to a partisan vote.

Sorry, just had to say my piece about that review.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies