LA-04 Runoff, Predictions and Results
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 01:33:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  LA-04 Runoff, Predictions and Results
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10
Author Topic: LA-04 Runoff, Predictions and Results  (Read 20045 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: December 07, 2008, 01:23:30 PM »

The district is probably protected by the Voting Rights Act.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #201 on: December 07, 2008, 01:33:27 PM »

I think it's more likely that LA-06 will get dismantled. LA-02 snakes out to take the AA precincts and the rest gets divided up among the surrounding districts.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #202 on: December 07, 2008, 01:45:33 PM »
« Edited: December 07, 2008, 01:50:18 PM by cinyc »

There will be pressure to keep a black majority district in the general area, I think. Which may have interesting knock-on effects in neighbouring districts.

If the 2006 census estimates are correct, that district is going to be a real gerrymander - snaking from New Orleans to East Baton Rouge Parish.  I can't think of another way to pick up a large minority population.  Outside of the part of Jefferson Parish that's already in the district, most of the New Orleans suburbs are fairly white.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #203 on: December 07, 2008, 02:04:04 PM »
« Edited: December 07, 2008, 02:19:58 PM by Ronnie »

Changing the subject, is there any chance Carmouche can still win?  He announced that there are still some provisional ballots left to count, and there will be a recount.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #204 on: December 07, 2008, 02:45:00 PM »

Changing the subject, is there any chance Carmouche can still win?  He announced that there are still some provisional ballots left to count, and there will be a recount.

Louisiana uses electronic voting machines, so there's not really anything to recount. I doubt there will even be 350 provisional ballots, let alone enough for Carmouche to come out ahead. Barring some major tabulation error by a poll worker, there's not really any chance of Carmouche winning.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #205 on: December 07, 2008, 02:51:54 PM »

Louisiana uses electronic voting machines, so there's not really anything to recount. I doubt there will even be 350 provisional ballots, let alone enough for Carmouche to come out ahead. Barring some major tabulation error by a poll worker, there's not really any chance of Carmouche winning.

Why don't they have those electronic machines in every state?  We wouldn't have this problem in Minnesota if this were the case.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #206 on: December 07, 2008, 02:53:11 PM »

Why don't they have those electronic machines in every state?  We wouldn't have this problem in Minnesota if this were the case.

85% infrastructure costs, 10% federal certification issues, 5% they freak a lot of people out.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #207 on: December 07, 2008, 02:54:49 PM »

There will be pressure to keep a black majority district in the general area, I think. Which may have interesting knock-on effects in neighbouring districts.

If the 2006 census estimates are correct, that district is going to be a real gerrymander - snaking from New Orleans to East Baton Rouge Parish.  I can't think of another way to pick up a large minority population.  Outside of the part of Jefferson Parish that's already in the district, most of the New Orleans suburbs are fairly white.
Lots of rural Blacks along the river. You could probably cut parts of New Orleans out.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #208 on: December 07, 2008, 02:55:20 PM »

That late holding of Bossier precincts that suddenly gave Fleming the lead I think warrants an examination.  Is there a reason why they waited liek 40 minutes to count those precincts?  Shades of Illinois 1960.  
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #209 on: December 07, 2008, 02:57:12 PM »

That would be a racial gerrymander, which would likely be struck down by the courts.  What will likely happen is that LA-02 will have to be extended further out into Jefferson parish, making it slightly whiter and a little more Republican, but not enough to save Cao. 
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #210 on: December 07, 2008, 02:59:36 PM »

the "looks like Dardenne knows how to do his job" comment right after that came in got me chuckling... Grin

That late holding of Bossier precincts that suddenly gave Fleming the lead I think warrants an examination.  Is there a reason why they waited liek 40 minutes to count those precincts?  Shades of Illinois 1960. 
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #211 on: December 07, 2008, 03:04:05 PM »

That late holding of Bossier precincts that suddenly gave Fleming the lead I think warrants an examination.  Is there a reason why they waited liek 40 minutes to count those precincts?  Shades of Illinois 1960.  

Sorry to break it to you, but Bossier is overwhelmingly Republican.  Fleming did as well as I expected over there.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #212 on: December 07, 2008, 03:09:44 PM »

Sorry to break it to you, but Bossier is overwhelmingly Republican.  Fleming did as well as I expected over there.

It suspiciously got about 10 points more Republican after that late vote holding. 
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #213 on: December 07, 2008, 03:12:54 PM »
« Edited: December 07, 2008, 03:14:47 PM by cinyc »

Lots of rural Blacks along the river. You could probably cut parts of New Orleans out.

Not enough though.  You'd figure a 2012 Congressional district is going to need at least 650,000 people.  A majority would be 325,000.  According to the 2006 census estimates, there are 131,000 African Americans in Orleans Parish and 114,000 in Jefferson.  According to the 2000 census in areas with no estimates, there are 19,000 African Americans in St. John the Baptist Parish, 15,000 in Ascension, 17,000 in Iberville,  12,000 in St. Charles, 10,000 in St. James, 6,000 in Plaquemines and 5,000 in St. Bernard (2000 data).  Assuming you could somehow sweep every African American in these  parished into one district, it only adds up to about 330,000 - barely a majority.    And because drawing those lines would pretty much be impossible, you'd still be short, which means the district would have to take in parts of East Baton Rouge Parish.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #214 on: December 07, 2008, 03:17:04 PM »

It suspiciously got about 10 points more Republican after that late vote holding. 

Really?  I remember Bossier being fairly stable throughout the reporting.

In any case, they were probably reporting out of the Shreveport and Bossier City part of the parish when you think his vote total jumped.  I don't know for sure.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #215 on: December 07, 2008, 03:18:40 PM »

I don't see anything suspicious, lol.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #216 on: December 07, 2008, 03:19:43 PM »

That late holding of Bossier precincts that suddenly gave Fleming the lead I think warrants an examination.  Is there a reason why they waited liek 40 minutes to count those precincts?  Shades of Illinois 1960. 

Really?  I remember Bossier being fairly stable throughout the reporting.

In any case, they were probably reporting out of the Shreveport and Bossier City part of the parish when you think his vote total jumped.  I don't know for sure.
Half of Bossier was the last stuff to be reported. Now they may be multiple reasons for that, most of them entirely legit. And the final dump was somewhat more Republican than the first half (again, multiple possible explanations, including the most likely one that's entirely legit) - I don't know if it was ten points, but in this close a race it was the difference between Carmouche by, like, 50 and Fleming by 350.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #217 on: December 07, 2008, 05:39:48 PM »

Electronic voting machines are (thankfully) completely illegal in Minnesota.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #218 on: December 07, 2008, 07:08:16 PM »

Is anyone curious as to what Charlie Cook will rate this race (for 2010) when he updates his site?  I'm guessing Likely Democratic Pickup.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #219 on: December 07, 2008, 08:25:08 PM »

Is anyone curious as to what Charlie Cook will rate this race (for 2010) when he updates his site?  I'm guessing Likely Democratic Pickup.

I was thinking the same thing.  He usually doesnt rate an incumbent at anything worse than a tossup, but it would be a major stretch to call this one anything less than Likely Dem. 
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #220 on: December 08, 2008, 02:39:46 PM »

02 you're talking I suppose?
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #221 on: December 08, 2008, 02:42:55 PM »

omg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! diebold!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #222 on: December 08, 2008, 06:52:54 PM »

Yeah
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #223 on: December 10, 2008, 09:20:32 PM »
« Edited: December 10, 2008, 09:23:54 PM by Ronnie »

Just as I thought.  Charlie Cook rates LA-02 as likely D in 2010.

I have to complain about him rating LA-04 as tossup, though.  Boo.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #224 on: December 10, 2008, 09:26:05 PM »

Just as I thought.  Charlie Cook rates LA-02 as likely D in 2010.

I have to complain about him rating LA-04 as tossup, though.  Boo.

Yeah, that's ridiculous. Carmouche was the only Dem who had a shot at the seat. Even if he runs again, it's still likely Republican.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies