Crazy Election Idea
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:08:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  Crazy Election Idea
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Crazy Election Idea  (Read 10313 times)
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 06, 2008, 09:02:48 PM »

As we all know, during the average election year, the course of an election is usually both decided, and known, by the time the race moves out West.  This can drastically depress turnout in a number of Western states.  Now, this might not have much effect on Presidential contests, but down ballot races can often be drastically affected.  Case in point, poor old Dino Rossi.

So here is my proposal, and I know it might be pie-in-the-ski, but...

Have the Pacific states vote on Monday.  Don't suppress the results.  Don't do anything specific.  Just hold the election, report the results, and go on with your business.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 10:01:25 PM »

It'd depress turnout out East.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 10:26:21 PM »

How about keeping polling booths open longer on the east, so that all polling places across the country close at the same time? Means you wouldn't find out the result until Wednesday morning, but it would solve the problem.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 04:47:39 AM »

Don't start counting ballots until polls close everywhere.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 11:24:05 AM »

As we all know, during the average election year, the course of an election is usually both decided, and known, by the time the race moves out West.  This can drastically depress turnout in a number of Western states.  Now, this might not have much effect on Presidential contests, but down ballot races can often be drastically affected.  Case in point, poor old Dino Rossi.

Have the Pacific states vote on Monday.  Don't suppress the results.  Don't do anything specific.  Just hold the election, report the results, and go on with your business.
Split the congressional elections from presidential and state elections.

Congress has the authority to set different dates for congressional and presidential elections.  It also has the authority to require congressional elections to be held separate from state elections, on separate ballots, in separate buildings, etc.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 01:18:02 PM »

Why?  The Pacific states aren't likely to come even close to making up even a quarter of the EV any time soon.  And if they ever do, then we'll just change it later.
defe07

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 02:09:30 PM »

How about this idea and having the networks start making projections on a state only when at least half of the precincts have their votes counted?
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 02:25:43 PM »

Okay, assume that this plan was enacted and California, Oregon, Washington, Hawaii and Alaska voted on monday.

The last states to close on tuesday would be presumably the next states over. Then THEY would have reduced turnout since the election would already be decided before polls close. Then what?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2008, 04:44:46 PM »

Okay, assume that this plan was enacted and California, Oregon, Washington, Hawaii and Alaska voted on monday.

The last states to close on tuesday would be presumably the next states over. Then THEY would have reduced turnout since the election would already be decided before polls close. Then what?

No, because then we are only talking an hour or two at most.  There really wouldn't be enough time between poll closings in the east and the announcing of results to have a significant impact.  Once PA, Ohio and Florida are called, most people pretty well know that the game is over.  But they aren't likely to be called within an hour.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2008, 09:36:10 PM »

How about this idea and having the networks start making projections on a state only when at least half of the precincts have their votes counted?

That's what I was trying to say. I like the addition of not having projections called before half the votes are counted.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2008, 11:39:40 PM »

That's what I was trying to say. I like the addition of not having projections called before half the votes are counted.

But that'd take too long: people want fadst information, and the free market dictates that they will get it. Any law to mandate them to wait would be ridiculous.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2008, 12:33:40 AM »

But that'd take too long: people want fadst information, and the free market dictates that they will get it. Any law to mandate them to wait would be ridiculous.

It would also be unconstitutional.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2008, 01:05:33 AM »

A marxist arguing in favour of the free market??? What is the world coming to?
defe07

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2008, 11:53:15 PM »

It would also be unconstitutional.

Got a good point there.
Four49
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.42, S: -8.09

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2008, 06:10:31 PM »

Split the congressional elections from presidential and state elections.

Congress has the authority to set different dates for congressional and presidential elections.  It also has the authority to require congressional elections to be held separate from state elections, on separate ballots, in separate buildings, etc.

That really wouldn't be a problem.  Every four years, people vote for the state offices and U.S. Senate and Congress on Monday, then for POTUS on Tuesday.
dunn

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2008, 04:58:13 AM »

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2009, 03:59:36 PM »

Just close polling stations at the same time nationwide. So what if it's 10pm in New York and only 5pm in Hawaii?
And yes, Congress could prescribe that.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2009, 11:56:41 PM »

Close polls at midnight Eastern Time.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »