Whose economic views do you prefer?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:24:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Whose economic views do you prefer?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Whose economic views do you prefer?
opebo

South Park Conservative

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 41

Author Topic: Whose economic views do you prefer?  (Read 4555 times)
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2008, 10:16:24 PM »

Huh

The kibbutzim are as close as the world comes to communism. She's quite right.

opebo, of course. SPC still hasn't adequately explained to me how courts would remain impartial under his model.

I'd hope an Israeli would correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't Kibbutzes (this is English, I'm using English plurals) become a tourist trap and not a serious part of the Israeli economy?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2008, 04:48:38 AM »

opebo, of course. SPC still hasn't adequately explained to me how courts would remain impartial under his model.

Thank you, Xahar.  Though, to be fair, the impartiality of courts is hardly a strong point of mine either.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2008, 06:35:09 AM »

I like neither. Opebo's however are rigid and oppressive and would lead to disaster for everyone. A libertarian world is at least free to change in response to down-sides and a lot of people would prosper. I could hope to be one of them.

Hah, are you an automaton of your class?  Oh, that's right, everyone is.

Personal insult without even a pretense of responding to what I said? And even a general statement that comes dangerously close to trying to establish a general truth?

You're losing your touch, old man.

Anyway, I guess the key point here is that I would be allow to leave SPC's state and move to a saner one. I probably wouldn't under Opebo's system, since it would collapse immediately if free movement was allowed. That's why the former would be preferable.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2008, 11:19:19 AM »

SPC's economic views amount to --

You want roads, a clean water supply, a police force to protect you and a military to defend you against attack -- and you're sh*t outta luck.

How could anyone vote for him?  Even if Opebo IS crazy...  Tongue
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2008, 12:18:07 PM »

Obviously myself, of course. I'm kind of scared by BRTD's recent obsession with me.

You want roads, a clean water supply, a police force to protect you and a military to defend you against attack -- and you're sh*t outta luck.

They wouldn't be non-existant, there would just be more than one provider. Currently, the government provides roads for non-profit, leading to lower quality and more traffic. If roads were private, they would be of higher quality and people would drive less often, meaning less traffic, lower gas prices, and less pollution. Privatizing water would lead to more incentive to take care of our lakes and oceans, since the owners lose money if their waters are dirty. Privatizing water would put an end to overfishing, since one would now have to pay to fish on another's water, and less pollution, as the water owner would make sure that there isn't any garbage on his property, just as a homeowner doesn't want any garbage on his front lawn. If you have seen my thread in the Individual Politics board, you would see that from my and my family's experiences with the police in its current monopolized form, in most instances they seem to be little more than organized gangsters. Simply from my own experience, the police have broken the speed limit and violated pedestrian's rights to give someone a ticket, tried to convince my grandmother that she and not the ambulance had commited a crime, gave my dad a ticket when his car was in the airport parking lot because his front license plate was gone (incidentally, it was there when my dad parked there), etc. One instance where the police could have provided help to my family, when my grandfather was mugged and shot, they didn't even show up until after he died. And that's just my family's experience with the local police. I'm sure David Koresh, Randy Weaver, and Elian Gonzales could tell you even better stories about the feds. I doubt that a private police force that had to rely on customers rather than forced taxpayers would spend much less time enforcing victimless crimes and much more time enforcing actual crimes, like rape, theft, and murder. As far as the military, our country hasn't been invaded since 1776, and any other head of state would be crazy to invade a country of 80 million gun owners.

Sorry for hijacking the thread. I will divert any other discussion of my views to the Political Debate board.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2008, 01:27:42 PM »

I like neither. Opebo's however are rigid and oppressive and would lead to disaster for everyone. A libertarian world is at least free to change in response to down-sides and a lot of people would prosper. I could hope to be one of them.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2008, 01:33:25 PM »

SPC,

You have already gone on record saying the military should be exclusively funded with private donations.  How can anyone have a serious discussion with you about anything relating to government and public policy.  I can't even call your ideas anarchist because that would be a disservice to anarchists.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2008, 01:35:56 PM »

SPC,

You have already gone on record saying the military should be exclusively funded with private donations.  How can anyone have a serious discussion with you about anything relating to government and public policy.  I can't even call your ideas anarchist because that would be a disservice to anarchists.

You say that, and yet you haven't even bothered to respond to my points. Also, please replain from discussing this here. I have already made a thread in the Political Debate board devotede exclusively to debating my ideas.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2008, 05:17:49 PM »

How is SPC winning this?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2008, 10:18:09 AM »

Forum stupidity.  Its a very right-wing forum economically, E-head.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2008, 10:27:52 AM »

Forum stupidity.  Its a very right-wing forum economically, E-head.

yes, yes...and we all hate ns, too.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2008, 06:52:44 PM »

From a recently bumped thread:

They could say, what's the difference between you and a Republican?

Who me?  A revulsion to theocracy I suppose.  I do like the right-wing economics, of course.

So please everyone shut up with the nonsense that opebo switched to his current positions in one day.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies