I came out...kind of.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:51:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  I came out...kind of.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9
Author Topic: I came out...kind of.  (Read 21879 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: December 09, 2008, 07:14:34 AM »

There's nothing quite like threads about homosexuality really... unusual that Jmf isn't one of the main protagonists though. He must be ill.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #76 on: December 09, 2008, 07:33:20 AM »

Good luck, MSU.

At least defend yourself, anyway, considering there's a large portion of the population engaging in a concerted effort to treat us as second-class citizens. Acting as if we're just straight people with different sexual habits is fairly counter-productive to the movement.
Uh.. I'm really not sure what you're getting at here. We are just like everyone else, we just have different tastes. This attitude that gay/bi/whatever people are so different but we should have equal rights frankly just sends mixed messages.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #77 on: December 09, 2008, 07:37:50 AM »

There's a difference between trying to blend in to such an extent that it resembles self-loathing, and being an activist.

And not exactly powerful words from someone who's afraid to do anything in public that might lead people to suspect you'll do something 'gay' later on.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #78 on: December 09, 2008, 07:39:43 AM »
« Edited: December 09, 2008, 07:48:46 AM by Mint »

There's a difference between trying to blend in to such an extent that it resembles self-loathing, and being an activist.

I don't 'try to blend in.' I'm just low key. People that know me on campus and elsewhere are aware about my orientation. I just don't go around constantly reminding people of that fact.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I could bring up some of your flamboyant behavior but that would be irrelevant. You have your style, I have mine. And so does everyone else. Also, frankly being out isn't realistic for some people.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #79 on: December 09, 2008, 07:42:09 AM »

My point is that if your "we're just like everyone else and don't have to do anything special" tripe actually meant something you wouldn't be so hesitant. Words, and actions, they're different.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #80 on: December 09, 2008, 07:43:34 AM »

My point is that if your "we're just like everyone else and don't have to do anything special" tripe actually meant something you wouldn't be so hesitant. Words, and actions, they're different.
In some settings I may be more paranoid or embarrassed. But that's applied to a lot of things in my life, which I've worked hard to over come. I'm shy, that's just how I am.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #81 on: December 09, 2008, 10:56:38 AM »

You should read the bible a little more.

Yes.  Especially the part about "the hill of foreskins".    @@

riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #82 on: December 09, 2008, 11:13:01 AM »

For some reason like half my friends here at MSU are LGBT (in fact, at least one of each, though one double-counts for G and T Tongue), and they seem to be finding plenty of resources if they need any.  Each group of residence halls has its own LGBT group, but you can go to any you want Smiley

Really? We don't even have a LGBT group on campus.

we do at work.  i went to a meeting.  lots of old lesbians. 

grossgrossgrossgrossgrossssss
Rin-chan
rinchan089
YaBB God
Japan

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: 5.57

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #83 on: December 09, 2008, 11:15:00 AM »

Wow, this thread grew fast lol  It was brand new before I went to bed last night... lol

I'm very happy for you, MSUfan!! *hugs* Smiley

Rin-chan
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #84 on: December 09, 2008, 11:16:41 AM »

Congratulations! I hope life allows you many more opportunities to be so bold. And, speaking from the other end, it's always great to feel trusted as the person someone comes out to; my twin brother came out to me first, back in high school, and it was great to know that he trusted me enough.

For some reason like half my friends here at MSU are LGBT (in fact, at least one of each, though one double-counts for G and T Tongue), and they seem to be finding plenty of resources if they need any.  Each group of residence halls has its own LGBT group, but you can go to any you want Smiley

There almost certainly is. They keep a low profile in a lot of places and aren't always recognized by the college as an official organization. But even BYU probably has one.
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #85 on: December 09, 2008, 11:20:19 AM »

oh yeah, and congrats to the em su fan.  it's been about 13 months for me.  only gets better!
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #86 on: December 09, 2008, 01:15:59 PM »

Wooooooow.  The extra special part of that is that calling him a derogatory term is surrounded by "no disrespect" and "not that I have anything against them".  What I truly find disgusting is that vitriol like this can even be considered a "view", as if it's a political issue and not just an expression of the culture of hate.

You're trying to mold people to the lifestyle you are a part of by forcing them to pretend to be someone they're not.  That poor man you knew is probably tormented every day with the torture of having to live someone else's life out of fear of what might be done to him as an open homosexual.  At least MSUfan has the balls to come out and be who he really is even in the face of such a massive movement of hate at ignorance against him.

I mean no ill will to MSU and him being homosexual, just as a christian I believe in helping others find god if I able to reach them.  

Why so much rejection to that?

Seems its you guys that have something against the bible and religion in general, which is why i'm actually getting a bored with this forum. Its basically young kids who reject religion or conservative causes other then on economics ( which fits with most who are in college these days). I pick up on things quickly.

Well, your attempt to mold folks into embracing  your version of a higher power is fine as long as you are sensitive to your efforts being unwelcome, at which time you promptly cease and desist. Nothing is more obnoxious than a hectoring, arrogant, know it all, sanctimonious preacher type.

I don't know really why folks get hung up over other people's sex lives. I have always found that rather curious behavior.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #87 on: December 09, 2008, 01:32:35 PM »

MSUfan, looks like I found this thread a bit late, but I just wanted to say congrats to you sir.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #88 on: December 09, 2008, 02:36:34 PM »

No disrespect to MSU, but dude this isn't a good thing to admit you're a fag. Not that I have anything against them.

Oh, I wish I'd read this before I posted a theory of your behavior other than "troll."
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #89 on: December 09, 2008, 02:40:16 PM »

I came out at about your age, only it was 14 years ago. There's no question in my mind that choosing to live my life honestly and openly was the best decision I ever made, and I have never had a day's regret. Good luck to you with whatever path your life takes from here.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #90 on: December 09, 2008, 02:44:02 PM »

Oh, and send my congrats to ty. It's good to have someone to have a bit of fun with, bt more importantly to trust. Why did he tell you he was gay in the first place, if I can ask?
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #91 on: December 09, 2008, 02:44:49 PM »

Third, I don't see any reason to want to come out to my parents, although this may have to do with the nuances of their attitude.  I think my parents (or at least my dad) wouldn't mind me being gay, as long as I didn't tell them about it.  And if so, why should I disrupt their tranquility?

For some people, this may make sense. If the parents will never come to terms with it at all, and are likely lying to themselves about what is going on because they recognize on some level they can't deal with it, then there is nothing else to be done.

On the other hand, by continuing to keep your life separate for them as you get older and assert your independence, you are denying both of you the opportunity for a full and honest relationship. You open the door to perceptions of hostility, ungratefulness, and lack of respect. You may be presuming bad intentions, obliviousness, or an unwillingness to adapt that is not present. My father was not happy, and is not happy, that I am gay, but our relationship was worse when I was keeping it a secret from him and he felt angered and disrespected that I kept him at arms' length and resented him for reasons he could not control. Now, everything is better, even if it will never be perfect--he loves my partner and I've managed to make us full members of the family, even if I know he will never be completely comfortable.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #92 on: December 09, 2008, 02:45:01 PM »

MSUFan, I am curious, do you support gay marriage? I see your social score is very far to the right.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #93 on: December 09, 2008, 03:29:36 PM »

First off, both of my parents did vote for Obama. They're your more New Deal type Democrat's and usually Economics trump Social issues for them. It's also tradition to vote Democratic in my family.

My father is the worst, though. I don't know if I'll ever be able to confront someone with my sexuality that said "Queers are going to burn in hell." Part of the problem is my sexuality. Being Bi presents kind of a problem when you know that you could simply suppress half of your attraction and just have relations with women (which I've been doing for the past couple years).
However, I just feel I wouldn't be true to myself if I let a man I really, really liked slip by just because I'm afraid. I try to live with as few regrets as possible.

As for Keller, I'm not surprised by anything he's said. The contradictions and the ignorance in his statements are expected. The only thing that saddens me is the fact that there are far to many people like him in the world. I'd also advise you to update your viewpoint. The Catholic Church now even accepts Homosexuals.... sort of. They view the attractions as O.K. but advise not to act on them. 

Again, I feel great for this one step. I'll probably tell a couple of my other friends soon, but I don't want to rush into it. Thanks for the congratulations, everyone. Smiley

Oh, and send my congrats to ty. It's good to have someone to have a bit of fun with, bt more importantly to trust. Why did he tell you he was gay in the first place, if I can ask?

We've been best friends ever since middle school. I kind of already knew. The signs were there and I guess he was trying to tell me through actions without saying it, really. We've confided in each other for a long time. After he told me, I felt I could tell him without fear of retribution.

Oh, and the "fun"... I have to admit, it was different from what I expected. Interesting, but different.
MSUFan, I am curious, do you support gay marriage? I see your social score is very far to the right.

Yes.

My social score more involves my opposition to Abortion.

Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #94 on: December 09, 2008, 06:19:38 PM »

Congratulations! I hope life allows you many more opportunities to be so bold. And, speaking from the other end, it's always great to feel trusted as the person someone comes out to; my twin brother came out to me first, back in high school, and it was great to know that he trusted me enough.

There almost certainly is. They keep a low profile in a lot of places and aren't always recognized by the college as an official organization. But even BYU probably has one.

Depends on how it is done I think. I have a gay friend who told his sister and told her not to tell anyone. She cried. Then he waited a year. Then he told her again. And she cried again. Weird Catholic family, I guess.

Anyway, congratulations. The only thing I have to say is, live your own life after what you percieve to be right. Don't let all these people with ideas about society interfere with how you want to construct your personal life. That's what should matter to you.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #95 on: December 09, 2008, 09:41:02 PM »

This thread makes me remember why I am glad to be a conservative
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #96 on: December 09, 2008, 10:56:08 PM »

It is me or we, homosexuals, are overrepresented here?

Congratulations, MSUFan. I would like to have the same courage than you.
RosettaStoned
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.45, S: -5.91

« Reply #97 on: December 09, 2008, 11:28:11 PM »

I guess it shows that us homosexuals are political junkies!
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #98 on: December 09, 2008, 11:40:15 PM »

This thread makes me remember why I am glad to be a conservative

Don't you claim libertarianship?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #99 on: December 09, 2008, 11:48:07 PM »

I guess it shows that us homosexuals are political junkies!

Or people are way more open about their sexuality online. Still I would say only maybe 5-10% of this forum is gay. Would be cool if somebody did a census or something......
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies