I came out...kind of. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:01:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  I came out...kind of. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I came out...kind of.  (Read 21951 times)
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: December 09, 2008, 02:36:34 PM »

No disrespect to MSU, but dude this isn't a good thing to admit you're a fag. Not that I have anything against them.

Oh, I wish I'd read this before I posted a theory of your behavior other than "troll."
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 02:40:16 PM »

I came out at about your age, only it was 14 years ago. There's no question in my mind that choosing to live my life honestly and openly was the best decision I ever made, and I have never had a day's regret. Good luck to you with whatever path your life takes from here.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 02:44:49 PM »

Third, I don't see any reason to want to come out to my parents, although this may have to do with the nuances of their attitude.  I think my parents (or at least my dad) wouldn't mind me being gay, as long as I didn't tell them about it.  And if so, why should I disrupt their tranquility?

For some people, this may make sense. If the parents will never come to terms with it at all, and are likely lying to themselves about what is going on because they recognize on some level they can't deal with it, then there is nothing else to be done.

On the other hand, by continuing to keep your life separate for them as you get older and assert your independence, you are denying both of you the opportunity for a full and honest relationship. You open the door to perceptions of hostility, ungratefulness, and lack of respect. You may be presuming bad intentions, obliviousness, or an unwillingness to adapt that is not present. My father was not happy, and is not happy, that I am gay, but our relationship was worse when I was keeping it a secret from him and he felt angered and disrespected that I kept him at arms' length and resented him for reasons he could not control. Now, everything is better, even if it will never be perfect--he loves my partner and I've managed to make us full members of the family, even if I know he will never be completely comfortable.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 09:52:55 AM »

One lesson from the 60s radicals sticks in my mind at certain moments - Youngsters really are so very easy to indoctrinate (in fact, they're the easiest).

What are you trying to say?

It's Sam.

Yet the implications are clear.

Yes, and no more relevant for being so. People have their hobby horses and their desires to see the world work a certain way. Life moves on.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies