John Sharp declares bid for Texan Seat (Update: So does White) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:41:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  John Sharp declares bid for Texan Seat (Update: So does White) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: John Sharp declares bid for Texan Seat (Update: So does White)  (Read 4380 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« on: December 09, 2008, 01:33:37 PM »
« edited: December 13, 2008, 01:26:50 PM by Oph1622 »

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/politics/topstories/stories/120908dntexsharp.42adf930.html

AUSTIN — Former Comptroller John Sharp announced Monday that he will run to succeed Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison, who could resign next year to challenge the Republican governor.

Mr. Sharp, a moderate Democrat and political veteran, said he will file the paperwork Jan. 1 to begin raising money for the race.

Ms. Hutchison has opened an exploratory committee to challenge Gov. Rick Perry in the 2010 Republican primary for governor.

That would trigger a political scramble for her Senate seat. Her term runs through 2012, but if she leaves Washington before then, a special election would be held to fill the seat.

On Monday, Mr. Sharp, 58, served notice he intends to seek the seat whenever it opens.

"I will be a candidate whether the election is in 2012 or any time before then," Mr. Sharp said. "Texans face tough challenges that call for innovative solutions, and that’s what our campaign is all about."

Mr. Sharp is a pro-life Catholic with potential appeal to rural and suburban voters who are among the state GOP’s most reliable voters in recent elections. He has long been seen as the Democrat best positioned to win a statewide race, though he lost bids for lieutenant governor in 1998 and 2002. The latter came against Republican David Dewhurst, a potential GOP candidate for Ms. Hutchison’s seat.

The Sharp camp was heartened by a recent survey by a GOP pollster that found the Republican Party is losing support among Texas voters who say they are more open to voting for Democrats.

Republican consultant Craig Murphy said that there are some demographic trends that Democrats hope will benefit them “but not something overnight” likely to shake GOP dominance in state politics.

"We just had an election, and that's a poll to beat all polls," he said, noting Texas voters supported John McCain for president and re-elected Republican John Cornyn to the Senate.

Mr. Sharp’s early announcement was seen as an effort to discourage other potential Democrats. Among potential Democratic contenders are Houston Mayor Bill White; former Dallas Mayor Ron Kirk, and Dallas state Rep. Rafael Anchia.

Among Republicans mentioned are state Sen. Florence Shapiro, former Texas Secretary of State Roger Williams, Texas Railroad Commissioner Michael Williams, and Mr. Dewhurst.

Mr. Sharp served in the state Legislature from Victoria and was elected to the Texas Railroad Commission and as comptroller.

He and Mr. Perry were students together at Texas A&M but became politically estranged until 2006, when San Antonio megachurch pastor John Hagee brokered a reconciliation that led to the governor appointing Mr. Sharp to lead a commission to craft a property tax overhaul.

Mr. Sharp was instrumental in crafting the new tax code that cut school property taxes and created a new business tax. He works for the Dallas-based business tax-consulting firm Ryan & Co.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 02:05:11 PM »

Yay! Sharp is probably the only Democrat in Texas, besides Mayor Bill White, who can win the open seat.

He's the last Democrat to be elected statewide in Texas, so I feel good about it
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 06:46:22 PM »

Another seat that the pads the Democratic numbers but is really just another Republican

Party membership is almost as important as ideology when it comes to technical cloture votes.

And hell, running a moderate who can win > losing to a Cornyn

Ironically, the pro-life movement would gain with a Hutchison-Sharp switch.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 11:48:17 PM »

The article theorizes that he announced early to intimidate them.  Who knows if it will work though.

Also, isn't Hutchison at least somewhat likely to retire in 2009, making her replacement a normal election?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 09:49:57 PM »

Wait for the opposition to become clear

My suspicion, knowing nothing of Texan politics, is than the primary might be a bit on the crowded side and a less-than-awesomely electable person may rise to the top.  I mean, the GOP would still be favored, but it won't  be the ideal candidate... I suspect.  I don't know how much control the Texas and National GOP has over influencing candidacies in Texas (like, pressuring out unwelcome competitors).

This is reasonably likely to end up as a crapshoot where a lot of people compete since they won't have to give up their dayjobs.  I would be slightly inclined to say that Sharp has an easier time clearing the field than anyone who comes to mind on the GOP side.  In addition, if Barack Obama pledges through backchannels to endorse Sharp, it may discourage competitive competition to sharp's candidacy (and Obama could always endorse/campaign for Sharp even if he faces honest minority candidates).  Even further, aren't most of the prominent Democrats white in this state?  Noriega just got his small balloon popped...

Anyway, my completely uninformed guess is that Sharp, with support from the DNSC, will win the primaries and will face someone farther to the right than Cornyn.  But Obviously Sharp would still be favored to lose.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 11:35:09 PM »
« Edited: December 11, 2008, 12:13:44 AM by Mars »

I imagine that most people on the forum are not from Texas, but we're still able to provide our inclinations filled with infinite I'm not sure's without your attempted internet bullying.  Obviously people will make mistakes, but posts filled with reservations are hardly the ones to target. 

At least when I try and be an internet macho, I do it on less humble posts. 
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2008, 06:47:02 PM »

Could Perry appoint himself to Hutchison's seat and trade places with her?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2008, 07:01:13 PM »

Hmmm.  Hadn't thought of that.  Legal, but politically I'm not sure that would fly.  Interesting....  Perry is not that popular in Texas BTW.

He'd have a better shot against White than Hutchison though, no?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2008, 07:13:29 PM »

Someone would try and primary him in the Senate race too though...?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies