"Dr. Evil" Karl Rove gives interview and election analysis
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:56:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  "Dr. Evil" Karl Rove gives interview and election analysis
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "Dr. Evil" Karl Rove gives interview and election analysis  (Read 3521 times)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 23, 2004, 11:11:29 AM »

Interesting article in today's Washington Times of an interview with Karl Rove.

http://washingtontimes.com/national/20040923-122118-6902r.htm

Some notes:

[snippet]President Bush expects to help Republicans gain up to four Senate seats and seven House seats in November and already is running Sen. John Kerry out of states that had been considered battlegrounds, White House political strategist Karl Rove said yesterday. [/snippet]

[snippet]The man credited with engineering Mr. Bush's victorious 2000 campaign bragged of chasing Mr. Kerry out of a half-dozen states that were considered battlegrounds earlier in this year's contest. He said the list soon would grow to include Ohio, which is widely considered the most crucial state in the election. [/snippet]

[snippet]Mr. Rove said he thinks the president is five to six percentage points ahead of Mr. Kerry nationally, although the Bush campaign is not conducting national polls. However, Mr. Rove said, "We have an army of pollsters" doing extensive sampling in battleground states.
    "We've taken all the battleground states and molded them together so that we're doing 600 sample a night or 800 sample a night in every battleground state and then aggregating all of those," he said. [/snippet]

[snippet]He said a fiery speech by Mr. Kerry on Monday, followed by combative rhetoric on the campaign trail on Tuesday and yesterday, suggests Mr. Kerry will "go on the offensive" next week.
    "He will be the best debater the president's ever faced," Mr. Rove said. "We underestimate Kerry at our peril. He's very good at this; he thinks about it; he's an aggressor; he goes in there flailing." [/snippet]

More at link above
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2004, 11:13:18 AM »

...not conducting national polls.  Yeah right.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2004, 11:15:16 AM »

They've continually said they haven't conducted national polls for four years.  

I see no reason to doubt that, as it wouldn't make much sense to lie about something pointless like that.
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2004, 11:17:58 AM »

re national polls:

I actually believe him.

If Bush gains 4% in Rhode Island - does it matter?
If Kerry gains 8% in Wyoming.. does it matter...?

Rove has 20 states he looks at, and polls the stuffings out of them.

Why waste time, energy and money polling Utah...?
VietnamVeteran
Rookie

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2004, 11:22:18 AM »

Vorlan your map needs explaining.

Start with Maine and New Hampshire being in the Bush column? Evidence to show this trend please.

You would put your life on it that if the election was held today Bush would tie Oregan and win Maine?

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2004, 11:33:09 AM »

Start with Maine and New Hampshire being in the Bush column? Evidence to show this trend please.

You would put your life on it that if the election was held today Bush would tie Oregan and win Maine?

As the first Maine is darker red then the 2nd Maine is blue, I don't think he's predicting Bush to take Maine.
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2004, 11:38:19 AM »
« Edited: September 23, 2004, 11:43:22 AM by The Vorlon »

Maine

Maine is divided into 2 Congressional Districts.

Maine awards 1 EV to the winner of each district, and 2 to the overall state winner.

In 2000 Gore won CD1 by about 8% and CD2 by just 2% (average over the state of 5% or so)

My "map" divides Maine into it's two CDs.  I have Kerry up solid in CD1, with Bush marginally up in CD2.

Bush lost CD2 in 2000 by just 2%, given that Bush is up 4% or so Nationally and has a very helpful Hunter's Rights Ballot measure in Maine to help him in Maine CD2, I think a marginal Bush lead in CD2 is reasonable - Indeed shifting Maine CD1 a shade towards Bush is also not irrational IMHO, I just want to see some more polling before I do it.

New Hampshire is a mixed bag.

Mason Dixon has Bush up 9% (which I do not believe)
ARG, which is based in New Hampshire and has an "ok" record polling the state says Bush is up 2%. - ARG has also been running very cold for Bush this year, so the fact ARG has Bush up a bit has a little extra weight with me.

The Rasmussen Bot Poll has Kerry up 6%

Both the M/D and Bot are likely wrong, with the truth likely being in between - a marginal Bush lead... I think Wink

IF I am not sure on a state, I just leave it for who won in 2000 BTW

Oregon

We have 6 polls recently - and they divide 3 / 3

Mason Dixon says Bush by 4
Riley Rersearch Says Bush by 1
Survey USA says Bush by 1

ARG says Kerry By 2
Rasmussen says Kerry by 7
Research 2000 says Kerry by 7

The problem here is that the two best firms (Mason-Dixon and Research 2000) are at the opposite extremes - if the polls were 3/3 and both Research2000 and Mason-Dixon were in the same group, I'd take that group over the other.

Looking over the SurveyUSA sample I am inclined to think Kerry has a modest advantage, but I'd have to think about it a bit.

In 2000, Gore + Nader beat Bush by about 5.5%. Take 4% off this for Bush's National lead and Kerry by 1 or 2% seems like a fairly common sense probability.  As well, if you average the 6 recent polls, Kerry comes out up about 1.5% or so.

I'll go with marginal advantage Kerry (o-2%) till I see another poll..

ok.. Wink ?

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2004, 11:47:45 AM »

So what's the yellow on your map for?
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2004, 12:00:22 PM »

States are under review is all.. no current projection...
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2004, 12:14:43 PM »

Those are the states which Vorlon is running strong in.  Wink
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2004, 12:23:48 PM »

Yup.. Smiley

I have two VERY detailed polls of Minnesota and PA to go over.

I think Minnisota stays slight Kerry and PA slight Bush, but I want to think it over a bit

Oregon goes very light red
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2004, 12:34:43 PM »

Yup.. Smiley

I think Minnisota stays slight Kerry and PA slight Bush, but I want to think it over a bit

You are the guru, Vorlon.  I'm sure many of us are looking forward to your prediction, as well as your revisions as we get closer towards election day.

BTW . . . I have a revision for you regarding Hawai'i.  You can let Kerry have Oahu (since he'll most likely win the state anyway), but can us Independents claim an island of our own?  I'm thinking Kauai or Maui for starters, or even Ni'ihau (since they are autonomous to begin with).  Smiley
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2004, 12:44:32 PM »

Yup.. Smiley

You are the guru, Vorlon.  I'm sure many of us are looking forward to your prediction, as well as your revisions as we get closer towards election day.

BTW . . . I have a revision for you regarding Hawai'i.  You can let Kerry have Oahu (since he'll most likely win the state anyway), but can us Independents claim an island of our own?  I'm thinking Kauai or Maui for starters, or even Ni'ihau (since they are autonomous to begin with).  Smiley

Autonomy for Hawaii.. I like it Wink

I am starting to think Bush is actually really opening this thing up a bit.  Party ID in state and National polls is consistently shifting 4-5 points towards the GOP. (ie very close Dems to Reps - something like 37/37/26 or so)  It is not just 1 or 2 or 5 polls either, it it dozens and dozens of them...

This is interesting to watch.. Shocked
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2004, 03:26:59 PM »

Acctually, I don't doubt it.  National polls are a waste of time and money, if you think about it.  The EV is what's important and thus, state polls are all that matter.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies