SPC (and other libertarians) Political Views Discussion Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:11:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  SPC (and other libertarians) Political Views Discussion Thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: SPC (and other libertarians) Political Views Discussion Thread  (Read 30543 times)
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 13, 2008, 12:29:05 PM »
« edited: March 10, 2009, 06:49:17 PM by Senator SPC »

This will serve as the official thead for those who wish to debate my views.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 01:43:06 PM »

Why do you believe crack dealers are better role models for inner city black kids than Barack Obama?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 08:33:02 PM »

Anarchist court doctrine is where we left off, I think.

How would you ensure that courts stay impartial if they are privately funded?
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 01:42:01 AM »

Why do you believe crack dealers are better role models for inner city black kids than Barack Obama?

Simply, crack dealers are entrepeneurs who find ways around artificial constraints on their business. On the other hand, Obama has threatened to steal now, steal later, or indirectly steal hundreds of billions of dollars on the faux basis of "stimulating the economy".
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 01:52:53 AM »

Anarchist court doctrine is where we left off, I think.

How would you ensure that courts stay impartial if they are privately funded?

First off, if any of your family members has ever fought a traffic ticket, you would know that monopolized courts aren't impartial, and usually side with the entity that pays their salary. Also, judges today supress jury nullification/substantive due process in favor of procedural due process, meaning that they have no power to declare someone innocent even if the defendant commited a victimless crime. Second, if a conflict between two parties were to arise, the insurance companies of the respective parties would have to come to an agreement over which court to use, a process that I wouldn't expect to be hard. Third, just as in civil lawsuits today, I doubt most cases would even be settled in court. Instead, I would bet that the insurance companies would reach an out-of-court settlement.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 01:54:18 AM »

Simply, crack dealers are entrepeneurs who find ways around artificial constraints on their business. On the other hand, Obama has threatened to steal now, steal later, or indirectly steal hundreds of billions of dollars on the faux basis of "stimulating the economy".

Grow up, please.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008, 01:56:37 AM »

Let's say that Private Security Corporation A is losing its business to Private Security Corporation B, so it springs a surprise attack and murders Private Security Corporation B's employees. The owner of the destroyed corporation sues the owner of Private Security Corporation A. However, the owner of Private Security Corporation A is very rich and buys out the court with donations. How does the law prevail here?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2008, 02:08:00 AM »

It seems more direct than buying off politicos like rich people do today.  Is it worse?  I don't know.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2008, 02:09:31 AM »

It seems more direct than buying off politicos like rich people do today.  Is it worse?  I don't know.

Well, our courts are still reasonably fair, even if the laws they enforce aren't always.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2008, 02:09:51 AM »

I should disclaim that my views do not reflect those of all libertarians, though I would be happy if other libertarians wanted to defend some of my views.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2008, 02:16:36 AM »

Grow up, please.

You didn't seem to refute the argument. Could you care to explain how any of the hundreds of billions Obama plans to spend for "stimulating the economy" is voluntarily received? Try not paying your taxes to see what I mean.

Let's say that Private Security Corporation A is losing its business to Private Security Corporation B, so it springs a surprise attack and murders Private Security Corporation B's employees. The owner of the destroyed corporation sues the owner of Private Security Corporation A. However, the owner of Private Security Corporation A is very rich and buys out the court with donations. How does the law prevail here?

First off, if the owner of Private Security Company A is very rich, why would he care so much about losing business as to order an attack on the other companies' employees? Second, you act as if similar situations don't happen under monopoly government. I don't believe that any of the ATF agents involved with Waco or Ruby Ridge had a day of jail time. Third, if the court is corrupt, they will never have any clients again, thus being a net monetary loss.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2008, 02:20:54 AM »

First off, if the owner of Private Security Company A is very rich, why would he care so much about losing business as to order an attack on the other companies' employees? Second, you act as if similar situations don't happen under monopoly government. I don't believe that any of the ATF agents involved with Waco or Ruby Ridge had a day of jail time. Third, if the court is corrupt, they will never have any clients again, thus being a net monetary loss.

Let's say he's paranoid and wants to destory all potential competition.

People get destroyed over much smaller things here. Have you ever heard of Watergate?

Or, the corruption attracts other rich people, who bring their cases their to buy out the court. How is the authority of a court guaranteed, at any rate?
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2008, 02:36:47 AM »

Let's say he's paranoid and wants to destory all potential competition.

People get destroyed over much smaller things here. Have you ever heard of Watergate?

Or, the corruption attracts other rich people, who bring their cases their to buy out the court. How is the authority of a court guaranteed, at any rate?

If private courts would be as vulnerable to corruption as you claim they are, why do you think a court that has a monopoly would be less corrupt and not more corrupt.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2008, 02:45:21 AM »

First off, if the owner of Private Security Company A is very rich, why would he care so much about losing business as to order an attack on the other companies' employees?
If that's true then Bill Gates would not be working day and night to promote Microsoft.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2008, 02:49:32 AM »

First off, if the owner of Private Security Company A is very rich, why would he care so much about losing business as to order an attack on the other companies' employees?
If that's true then Bill Gates would not be working day and night to promote Microsoft.

Non-sequitor. A more accurate example would be Bill Gates ordering an attack on Apple headquarters.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2008, 03:01:33 AM »

taxation= stealing? Uh, no.
Four49
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.42, S: -8.09

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2008, 07:53:53 AM »

Taxation = stealing.  When you take somebody's money against their will, you're stealing it. 
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2008, 06:38:50 PM »

There's no winning an argument with people who hold such simplistic views, E'head.  I have a few of them in my family. 

They say big guv'mint is stealing from them in taking their "hard-earned" tax dollars.

And then they are the first to bitch, piss, whine and moan about potholes, no new jobs, lousy schools and crime.  Ironically, they are also among the first to trumpet their patriotism.  Odd, that.  When I pay my taxes, I feel like I am doing my patriotic duty...even if I don't like the way all my money gets spent.

If it wouldn't ruin our country (and it would, I think) I wish we could try one generation with absolutely no taxation.  I suspect experiencing life in New Somalia would put a permanent stake right through the heart of "me first" conservatism.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2008, 06:51:30 PM »
« Edited: December 14, 2008, 06:56:14 PM by Boris »

How would privately-funded courts even enforce their rulings? And what would stop people from setting up their own courts in order to benefit themselves? And how would you maintain the hierarchy of courts if they're privately funded?
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2008, 09:17:05 PM »

Try not paying your taxes and see what will happen. In my view, anyone who takes goods by threatening the owner of the goods is a thief. A voluntarily-enforced tax is an oxymoron.

How would privately-funded courts even enforce their rulings? And what would stop people from setting up their own courts in order to benefit themselves? And how would you maintain the hierarchy of courts if they're privately funded?

Nobody would use a court set up solely for the benefit of the judge. Courts with neutral judges would have the most customers, since they would be best at dispute resolution. Court rulings would be enforced by the insurance companies who were disputing. The insurance companies would lose more by not enforcing the ruling than by providing the other insurance company restitution for the crime that their client has commited. As a result of this, rates would rise for that client, and they would be slightly higher for any client deemed likely to commit crimes.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2008, 09:32:18 PM »

How come no government-less communities have succeeded to date?
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2008, 09:46:29 PM »

Try not paying your taxes and see what will happen. In my view, anyone who takes goods by threatening the owner of the goods is a thief. A voluntarily-enforced tax is an oxymoron.
Perhaps, but the alternative would be essentially safety and rule of law only for those who could afford it. Even a sales tax requires some sort of coercion for enforcement. To say nothing of the political radicalism, crime and poverty that emerges in societies with no state-created social safety net.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2008, 09:56:09 PM »
« Edited: December 14, 2008, 10:26:38 PM by Boris »

Nobody would use a court set up solely for the benefit of the judge. Courts with neutral judges would have the most customers, since they would be best at dispute resolution. Court rulings would be enforced by the insurance companies who were disputing. The insurance companies would lose more by not enforcing the ruling than by providing the other insurance company restitution for the crime that their client has commited. As a result of this, rates would rise for that client, and they would be slightly higher for any client deemed likely to commit crimes.

That makes little sense. How would a plaintiff and a defendant even decide on which court to go to? Presumably, both would want to go to courts that they've respectively funded. And how would insurance companies enforce payments? You'd need some sort of police or law enforcers. And you'd essentially be destroying the entire court hierarchy and nullifying and sort of authority of any courts, but ok. I don't feel like arguing so I'll just concede defeat and assume that you're right
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2008, 10:23:04 PM »

They'd let the churches run the court system.
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2008, 10:24:10 PM »

Here in Libertopia where the sky's grey and the water tastes like metal we get reminded by the corporate loudspeakers about our freedom every single day. Semper Liberty!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies