Future of Puerto Rico (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:50:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Future of Puerto Rico (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What would you prefer
Independent Country

51st State

Commonwealth

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 67

Author Topic: Future of Puerto Rico  (Read 13094 times)
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« on: December 20, 2008, 09:12:46 PM »

Is there any reason other than racism/bigotry against the Spanish language that people oppose Puerto Rican statehood?

It would almost certainly elect two Democratic Senators.

Not necessarily true.  They currently have a republican governor.  I think we must put an end to the status quo, not only in Puerto Rico but in the other territories as well.  All other territories became states at some point so it really doesn't sit well with me that these insular territories have had that status for more than a century in some cases.
Either give them statehood or set them free.
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 09:33:51 PM »

Not necessarily true.  They currently have a republican governor.  I think we must put an end to the status quo, not only in Puerto Rico but in the other territories as well.  All other territories became states at some point so it really doesn't sit well with me that these insular territories have had that status for more than a century in some cases.
Either give them statehood or set them free.

Yes and no. They have a penepe governor who happens to be affiliated with the Republicans. Take statehood/commonwealth out of the picture (which divides the Democratic voters but not the Republican ones) and you have a solidly, solidly Democratic state.

Of course, there would probably be a minor leftist pro-independence party active at the state level. But think Vermont (plus independence, and of course the reasons for voting Democratic or Republican would be very different from Vermonters).

I'm thinking Bronx, not Vermont Wink

A solid Democratic state doesn't equate to two Democratic senators.  Arkansas is a solid republican state and they have two democratic senators.  Local politics will always be influenced by factors very different than the ones that determine national politics.

My point is that territories are no different than colonies (you belong to us, but you're not one of us, therefore you cannot vote) and in the year 2008 it's disgraceful that we still have them.
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 12:17:40 AM »

).

On October 23, 2007, that Resources Committee unanimously approved a substitute bill of HR900, which establishes that before 2009, a first plebiscite will be held in which Puerto Ricans will be asked if they desire to maintain their territorial status, in a yes or no question. The bill states that should the No as the favored choice, either another plebiscite asking between statehood, independence or an associated republic, or a constitutional assembly would follow thereafter, by choice of the United States Federal Court of Puerto Rico. The bill is yet to be considered by the United States House of Representatives, waiting for enough votes to carry a debate. Several organizations in Puerto Rico, such as the Puerto Rico Lawyer's College, have pledged to lobby against it, in an effort to prevent the solution of the status issue.

I really hate how against finding a solution to this issue Puerto Rico appears to be.  I also hate how apathetic the U.S. Virgin Islands appear to be.  There's no discussion at all about whether they would like to be become a state or independent.  What's so appealing about being U.S. property?
In Guam and the Northern Mariana Islands it appears that the majority is in favor of statehood and while they would be a small state, I believe it is necessary that we find a solution to this problem once and for all.  I'm not sure what can be done about Samoa though.  They're too far from Hawaii or the Mariana Islands and too small to become a state.  Maybe we should just let them go?
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 10:09:13 PM »

How is that racist? They have been leaching off the govt. and they hardly pay any taxes.
It's not so much what he said, but the sentiment in general.  Is there any reason to oppose statehood, ie giving full natural-born US citizens the right of representation and voice in presidential elections, other than bigotry toward Puetro Ricans or the Spanish language?
They do get a lot of benefits that they otherwise wouldn't have as US citizens and the govt should force them to make a choice. I know enough Puerto Ricans and I've had this discussion before.
I can agree with that, but surely they would vote for statehood over being cast loose?

I'm not so sure about that to be honest.  I think such an election would be much closer than many believe it would be.  I agree though.  Territories need to either become states or independent.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies