Future of Puerto Rico (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:37:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Future of Puerto Rico (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What would you prefer
Independent Country

51st State

Commonwealth

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 67

Author Topic: Future of Puerto Rico  (Read 13103 times)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« on: December 20, 2008, 01:08:59 PM »

Is there any reason other than racism/bigotry against the Spanish language that people oppose Puerto Rican statehood?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 12:28:50 AM »

who cares if we change the flag?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 12:01:56 PM »

American Samoa is on the other side of the International Date Line of Guam and the NMI's, which combined with the cultural difference makes it a poor pick for being part of the state.  I'd suggest making Guam/NMI a state and offering annexation into that state to any of the trust territories (I bet they would all take it, but if they don't, fine).  American Samoa could be given the option of joining Hawaii, independence, or status quo.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 04:17:54 PM »

Let the leaches go, it's long past due.
Racist much?

The only fair answer is to let them become a state.  It's time they received representation (and paid taxes).
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 12:56:05 AM »

How is that racist? They have been leaching off the govt. and they hardly pay any taxes.
It's not so much what he said, but the sentiment in general.  Is there any reason to oppose statehood, ie giving full natural-born US citizens the right of representation and voice in presidential elections, other than bigotry toward Puetro Ricans or the Spanish language?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 12:57:08 AM »

Gee, I wonder why people here picked 51st state, could it be that they want basically more free EV's to the Dems?
Anyone who cares about what America means would support statehood, regardless of what party the new state would vote for.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 04:08:02 PM »

How is that racist? They have been leaching off the govt. and they hardly pay any taxes.
It's not so much what he said, but the sentiment in general.  Is there any reason to oppose statehood, ie giving full natural-born US citizens the right of representation and voice in presidential elections, other than bigotry toward Puetro Ricans or the Spanish language?
They do get a lot of benefits that they otherwise wouldn't have as US citizens and the govt should force them to make a choice. I know enough Puerto Ricans and I've had this discussion before.
I can agree with that, but surely they would vote for statehood over being cast loose?

They shouldn't even have 3 EV's to begin with.
Your partisanship is incredible...or do you actually believe in taxation without representation?  It is a grave injustice what we do to the people in our nation's capital (!), not allowing them a say in Congress, and now you want to take their presidential vote away too, just because it doesn't vote the way you want it to?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies