Draft...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 03:06:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Draft...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Would you support a draft?/Do you believe we will have a full draft again?
Yes/Yes

Yes/No

No/Yes

No/No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 64

Author Topic: Draft...  (Read 6161 times)
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2004, 11:03:39 PM »

No it's not....the Constitution granted Congress the power to "raise and support armies", and the draft is included in this.  This was explicitly reaffirmed in Rostker v. Goldberg in 1981.

I would support a draft, but I think it should be a "public service" draft, and not purely military.  It should require all young adults to perform a few years of service to their country.  People who don't want to join the military could join AmericaCorps, Teach for America, or another public works project...I'm sure there would be many more choices if this "draft" was enacted.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2004, 12:03:24 AM »

Raising and supporting armies is one thing. Forcing people to enter into armies is another.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2004, 06:31:28 AM »

Raising and supporting armies is one thing. Forcing people to enter into armies is another.

What would the constitution be worth if we lacked the strength to defend ourselves from occupation by those who don't support the constitution?

Is the draft constitutional?  I'm sure you could get different answers depending on which judge ruled on it.  Then of course there would be the issue of whether women should be included.  Doctrinaire feminists well beyond draft age would argue yes, while others would take their usual "have it both ways" approach toward feminism - giving women all the "opportunities" that men have without any of the obligations.

It is more a political than legal judgment.  One of the great flaws of our society, particularly today, is that we reduce every question to a legal issue.  Things are not so black and white.  If used judiciously, I think a draft is acceptable.  If it were taken to an extreme, such as requiring all people to give 20 years of their life to public service during peacetime, or something like that, then it would not be acceptable.

There are advantages and disadvantages to having a draft vs. an all-volunteer army, both to the armed forces and society as a whole.  One thing a universal public service require would do is to tie our young people in with the idea of community involvement, which could have very good effects beyond just military capability.

But there are also disadvantages to a draft and public service requirement, such as the need to enforce it, and to administer the service of millions of young people and supervise it.  This would be a massive undertaking, one whose benefits may not be worth the huge effort that would be involved.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2004, 01:24:33 AM »

I would support a draft, but I think it should be a "public service" draft, and not purely military.  It should require all young adults to perform a few years of service to their country.  People who don't want to join the military could join AmericaCorps, Teach for America, or another public works project...I'm sure there would be many more choices if this "draft" was enacted.

I actually think that this isn't a bad idea at all.  I don't think it would be unreasonable to ask people to contribute something to their country during a war.  Many draft dodgers just didn't exactly like the idea of going die for a cause that they didn't believe in; they probably would not have objected to supporting the troops.  Having made the personal choice to be a pacifist in life, I would not at all be an effective soldier, but I would certainly be willing to do something else.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2004, 11:16:17 AM »

If Kerry wins, No/Yes...
If Bush wins, No/No...
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2004, 11:36:04 AM »

If there was actual threat to the US, ala WWII, and a draft was necessary, then yes I'd support it.  But I don't see a draft becoming necessary in the foreseeable future.  But if the draft were reinstated, and I were drafted, I wouldn't dodge it.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2004, 12:28:42 PM »

I think that the odds are with us that a draft will NOT be reinstated.

But, God forbid, if one were to ever pop up again, I would enlist voluntarily before getting drafted, just like my father did in Vietnam.  Better to get a good, safe position than being drafted onto the front lines.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2004, 03:00:36 PM »

Amendment XIII

Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

Therefore, both the WWII and Vietnam drafts were unconstitutional.
weallbleed
Rookie

« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2004, 03:52:16 PM »

If Kerry wins, No/Yes...
If Bush wins, No/No...

Even if Kerry was stupid enough to introduce it, why would the Republican Congress pass it? It would be much more logical to use it as a wedge issue and guarantee a landslide victory in 2006. Plus it would basically doom Kerry in 2008.

Liberals who claim Bush is planning on bringing back the draft are just as naive though, even if he wanted to, the GOP Congressional leaders are smart enough not to give the Democrats exactly what they need to take Congress in 2006. Any party that seriously pushes for a draft is dooming itself to permanent minority status.
TheWildCard
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2004, 04:04:06 PM »

This is kind of an open ended question because in some points in our country's history we've needed to have a draft, World War II for example. Do I think we need one now? No, not at all I think we have enough troops so that we can re-station a few and bring up reserves way before a draft is necessary.

Now do I think it will ever be reinstated? It depends. If at some point we have to fight a ground war with N.Korea or China or some other major military power then we will probably need to have a draft.

I feel we should only have drafts if our National Security and Freedom is in danger.
MN-Troy
Rookie

« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2004, 07:43:08 PM »

Let's get one thing straight: A military draft is not coming back on the Bush administration. Yes there is a bill to reintroduce a military draft in the House and Senate and a dozen or so sponsor of the bill. President Bush and Donald Rumsfeld oppose the bill. The entire Republican delegation and all but a few Democrats oppose the bill. The one's (not the denizens of this board) who are perpetuating this lie are engaging in nothing but scare mongering.

The military does not want warm bodies and low morale. We learned that lesson well in Vietnam where troop morale was low. Troop morale in our volunteer military today is high, and that is important. The military does not need a draft to reinforce the ranks because the enlistment and reenlistment ranks are high.

I am kind of surprised why none one has brought the question of why the U.S. still has men when they turn 18 register for Selective Services. The first reason is just in case, but the other reason is it a cheaper to keep the current system then to start over from scratch.

The idea of a military draft is not coming back, but it's possible there could be a draft in case of a domestic emergency. That emergency might include a NBC attack or a major natural disaster where able bodies are needed.

The draft is not coming back.
nomorelies

« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2004, 08:36:05 AM »

Draft is only necessary in a military crisis.

We will only have that if you re-elect Bush.

Bush will bring back the draft.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2004, 03:33:30 PM »

Draft is only necessary in a military crisis.

We will only have that if you re-elect Bush.

Bush will bring back the draft.

Can you even supply an arguement? Or do you just post false trollish comments?

Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2004, 08:38:59 PM »

I hope not.  If it's for Iraq, buh bye America, hello Canada!!!!  

If I'm going to die, it better be for something meaningful.  Besides, if Bush visited, I'd prolly spit in his face.  Wouldn't earn me too many friends.  
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2004, 11:09:21 PM »

I would not support a draft under any circumstances. The government should not be able to force anyone to fight if they don't want to. If the government can't convince enough citizens to volunteer to fight in a war, then that is proof positive that we shouldn't be fighting the war.

I trust that Americans would be willing to fight in a war if they felt it just, more than I trust politicians and government officials to decide for us whether or not it is in our best interests to risk our lives.
Redefeatbush04

« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2004, 06:29:30 PM »

Bush has openly opposed a draft, but I am not quite sure what Kerry's position on this is. I do know that he wants to increase the troop size by 40,000. That either means he is going to draw troops from places such as Germany where they are no longer needed and put them in Iraq, or there will be a draft.
Bogart
bogart414
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -5.39

« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2004, 06:43:07 PM »

I don't support a universal draft. I don't think it's necessary. All that would need to happen to increase the size of the military is to increase the authorization. There are plenty of volunteers to fill the slots.

As to whether we will EVER have a draft again--difficult to say. I can imagine major worldwide conflicts that may require it--however unlikely they may seem at this point.
George W. Bush
eversole_Adam

« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2004, 10:19:28 PM »

No and No
WiseGuy

« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2004, 10:19:23 AM »

No/No
I don't believe we should have a draft, because if your fighting force has a large percentage of people who were forced to go, it's not going to be an effective fighting force. 

That said, if my Country ever needed troops that badly, I would enlist in a second. 

If the draft was reinstated, I agree with Gov NickG that there should be a "public service" option for those who do not want to join the military.  I also think there should be a rule that the legislators who sponsor the draft bill and support it should go first!  lol
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2004, 12:39:09 PM »

No / No
W in 2004
Rookie

« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2005, 01:04:46 PM »

I would not support a draft under any circumstances. The government should not be able to force anyone to fight if they don't want to. If the government can't convince enough citizens to volunteer to fight in a war, then that is proof positive that we shouldn't be fighting the war.

I trust that Americans would be willing to fight in a war if they felt it just, more than I trust politicians and government officials to decide for us whether or not it is in our best interests to risk our lives.

I actually agree with Nym90 on something!  If the government needs more troops to wage a war, it should increase wages.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2005, 02:33:50 PM »

This is kind of an open ended question because in some points in our country's history we've needed to have a draft, World War II for example. Do I think we need one now? No, not at all I think we have enough troops so that we can re-station a few and bring up reserves way before a draft is necessary.

Now do I think it will ever be reinstated? It depends. If at some point we have to fight a ground war with N.Korea or China or some other major military power then we will probably need to have a draft.

I feel we should only have drafts if our National Security and Freedom is in danger.

I've got to come down with Gov. Wildcard.

The could be situations where the US could face a serious military threat from a large nation (China, India, or Russia) or from a group of  medium sized nations (Egypt-Sudan and the Maghrib) where troops would be needed.

An Irag or Afghanistan?  No.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2005, 06:53:37 PM »

Only in the most extreme cases, like a World War II, would a draft be needed (or helpful).

The draft in the 1960s brought in a wave of malcontents who poisoned the Army.  Read "American soldier" by Tommy Franks, who details his struggles in dealing with dopers and punks who were in the Army as a result of the draft and were finishing their duty after Vietnam.  They hurt the whole organization.  Drafted soldiers are simply inferior to volunteers.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2005, 07:42:02 PM »

Drafted soldiers are simply inferior to volunteers.

I wouldn't go quite that far, but I would say that volunteers have better moral; they, at some level, want to be there.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2005, 07:44:25 PM »

Drafted soldiers are simply inferior to volunteers.

I wouldn't go quite that far, but I would say that volunteers have better moral; they, at some level, want to be there.

John Ford's statement would be accurate if he put "who don't want to be there" after "drafter soldiers".  If the draftee was just too lazy to sign up and didn't mind going, he'd probably be on par once his life was on the line, but if the soldier was really averse to going off to war (and even worse, if the soldier is somewhat of a pacifist), he would not be nearly as effective as volunteer soldiers.  He just wouldn't be into it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies