No Southerners in Obama's Cabinet
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:05:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  No Southerners in Obama's Cabinet
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: No Southerners in Obama's Cabinet  (Read 24488 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2008, 12:57:38 PM »

Wait, so people actually believe Obama did this on purpose? I see the article did its job.

I don't believe Obama to be even half as disgraceful as his hardcore, Internet fanatics.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2008, 12:58:18 PM »

Wait, so people actually believe Obama did this on purpose? I see the article did its job.

I don't believe Obama to be even half as disgraceful as his hardcore, Internet fanatics.

I'm not an 'Obama fanatic'. I'm an actual leftist, and I don't give a good God damn about your 'grace'.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2008, 01:02:11 PM »

True if you consider Hillary Clinton's home state to be New York, to which I respond simply "LOL".
Illinois isn't southern either.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2008, 01:03:32 PM »

Also, James Jones, his highest national security adviser (and almost a cabinet post) is from Missouri and the Secretary of Agricultural is very likely to be a Georgian.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2008, 01:17:08 PM »

This election is also the first one since, what, Eisenhower when there wasn't at least one Southerner on the ticket of either the Dems or the GOP?
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2008, 01:19:50 PM »

This election is also the first one since, what, Eisenhower when there wasn't at least one Southerner on the ticket of either the Dems or the GOP?

Nice try, no dice. Neither Reagan nor Bush I were from the South (and no, Bush's transplantation from Connecticut to Texas doesn't count), and the region preferred that ticket to native-son Jimmy Carter. The South is ideologically motivated, first; its regionalist extremism is merely a logical extrapolation from that ideology.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2008, 01:24:07 PM »

Nice "try?"  I view Bush I as being from the South and so does the home-state feature on this very website we're on.  I don't know why you are so self-righteously smug over a quibble, especially on the internet.

I think using the maps made on this site is an objective measuring stick.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2008, 01:25:37 PM »

I believe he meant on either or the Dems or Republicans.

I know that's what he meant, but the idea (I believe) he was striking at is that the region just prefers good-ol'-boy candidates of any stripe, which is demonstratively not the case, as 1980 shows.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2008, 01:32:10 PM »

True if you consider Hillary Clinton's home state to be New York, to which I respond simply "LOL".

Neither is Connecticut, but Bush is Southern.

Also, James Jones, his highest national security adviser (and almost a cabinet post) is from Missouri

opebo isn't a Southernor.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2008, 04:01:34 PM »

Clinton?

picking people for geography means is stupid, it only matters if its the VP
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2008, 04:04:32 PM »

H. Clinton grew up in Illinois; she's only fractionally southern. Frankly I would not count her. Bill, on the other hand...
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2008, 04:10:33 PM »

Good news. I pretty much echo what's been said here.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2008, 04:12:25 PM »

damn it....we are too Southern!!

We're full of God fearing Blue Dogs....so there.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2008, 04:13:13 PM »

Depends on whether we're counting Maryland (Agnew) as the South.  If not, then 1968 and 1972 didn't have Southerners either.  But if we *are* counting Maryland, then why not also Delaware?

angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2008, 04:20:20 PM »

He's 15 picks into his Cabinet and not a single one is Southern

Well, the president-elect was born at 21 degrees north latitude, and will therefore be the southernest president we have ever had.  Given that credential, he may not need to find southerners to fill his cabinet.

McCain would have had him beat though.  Probably he picked Palin specifically for the balance.  Smiley
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2008, 04:20:55 PM »

Despite what States says, Maryland is not really part of the south. The state's center of gravity is Baltimore, which has always shared more similarities with rust belt cities than southern cities. Besides, the state has a Catholic plurality, a true southern state, unless it's flooded with Hispanics like Texas, should have a Baptist plurality Smiley
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2008, 04:25:31 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

That kind of attitude might have something to do with it.
LanceMcSteel

« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2008, 04:25:47 PM »

The Southern Conservative Reign of Terror is over my friends. No longer will America be led by a group of thugs who worship a flag that represents slavery, segregation and treason against America. Now the adults will be in charge will Southerners continue to get high on meth and copulate with relatives.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2008, 04:43:05 PM »

The Southern Conservative Reign of Terror is over my friends. No longer will America be led by a group of thugs who worship a flag that represents slavery, segregation and treason against America. Now the adults will be in charge will Southerners continue to get high on meth and copulate with relatives.

And Canadians can keep pretending that they're part of America.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2008, 04:49:13 PM »

Maryland is not really part of the south.

That's not accurate.  In school they taught us that Mason and Dixon's line defined the northern border of The South. 

And frankly, the most hostile, bigoted post in this thread was aimed specifically at "everything south of the Mason-Dixon line" which would mean screw Maryland.  True, I have seen more CSA battle flags in Pennsylvania than in Maryland, but that's really besides the point.  Such bigotry needn't be informed, and anyway, it'd be less effective if it said, "Screw everyone in the South except Maryland, Washington DC, northern Virginia, and a few counties in the southern extremity of Florida (well, nevermind, screw them too since they won't learn English), and also screw the part of the Southwest that includes Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas, the flat part of Colorado, and the inland empire of California, and screw Southern Illinois, all of Indiana except suburban Chicago, Southern Ohio, western New York State, most of Missouri, and Central Pennsylvania."   See what I mean?

Anyway, it's a silly thing to bitch about.  I don't hear Iowa people bitch about there not being an Iowan in the cabinet.  And we even gave him the opportunity, you'll remember.  Sometimes there's nobody from your town (or your state or your region) in the executive branch of the government.  Hell, if you're from Hawaii or Alaska, there's probably almost never anyone from a five hundred mile radius of your home in the cabinet.  So let them get over it. 

That's not really point, though, is it?  I take the broader point, which is less about Obama not appointing traditionalists and more about society having to change its guard.  Or maybe it is about Obama not appointing traditionalists.  After all, it is kinda weird, isn't it, to have a Democrat president who doesn't have the Southern Drawl.  In our popular culture, it's sort of like you can't think of Democrat Presidents without thinking of it.  I remember a Barney Miller episode from when I was really young where this federal agent investigating a case walked in to the 12th precinct house and talked to the cops and Captain Miller commented on his "accent."  And he simply replied, "I'm with the new administration.  The Democrats are back, son."  We all understood the joke.  Same thing happened with a host of TV shows in 1992.   So I take the point.  Having a newly-elected Democrat president makes you expect a rash of Southerners making the rounds on talk shows and such.  But this year it's different.  Obama is from a place even further south than the south.  And he has that characteristic so often associated with the South but so often underrepresented in authority circles:  lots of melanin.  We're in for a new round of stereotypes, maybe.  Or, better yet, maybe we can just get past all the stereotyping.  The Audacity of Hope may reign supreme.  (And by Hope, I don't mean a small town in the hills of Western Arkansas.)
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2008, 04:54:28 PM »

What is with all the anti-South trolls?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2008, 05:05:27 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Yes, I suppose so, you're commenting on how futile it is to try and define region by culture. Point taken. Still, if Maryland is south, and Miami is south, and Southern Illinois is south, then the term 'south' has lost its meaning. It means nothing. It is just a geographic entity. No distinctive accent, heritage, or political uniformity holds it together anymore. And what kind of south is that? We need someplace to stereotype and feel superior to...
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2008, 05:06:31 PM »

It's funny the biggest anti-Romney troll is complaining.  It's pretty annoying, isn't it?

Are you really calling me a troll, Fezzy?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2008, 05:46:04 PM »

It's funny the biggest anti-Romney troll is complaining.  It's pretty annoying, isn't it?

If anyone is calling you a troll, you are.  You are saying these anti-southern posters are trolls because of their style, are you not?  And don't you post in the exact same style about Romney?

These posters rant about the South in a much harsher and more unfounded way than I do about Romney.  They also contribute basically nothing else but attacking the South, while I have actually given reasons for disliking Romney, besides the reasons you always seem to jump on (which I stand behind still).
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2008, 05:48:02 PM »

If anyone is calling you a troll, you are.  You are saying these anti-southern posters are trolls because of their style, are you not?  And don't you post in the exact same style about Romney?

These posters rant about the South in a much harsher and more unfounded way than I do about Romney.  They also contribute basically nothing else but attacking the South, while I have actually given reasons for disliking Romney, besides the reasons you always seem to jump on (which I stand behind still).

And people give reasons for disliking the South. Feel free to rant about Illinois and Massachusetts arrogance if you like, wouldn't bother me.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies