Schwartz's, Murphy's and Matthew's worst nightmare - Wagner may run. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:40:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Schwartz's, Murphy's and Matthew's worst nightmare - Wagner may run. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Schwartz's, Murphy's and Matthew's worst nightmare - Wagner may run.  (Read 2250 times)
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« on: December 16, 2008, 12:10:47 AM »
« edited: December 16, 2008, 12:14:06 AM by ICE HOCKEY »

Fantastic, simply fantastic. Listen, PA needs a solid, center pragmatist blue dog to run that senate post that can be trusted to watch for PA and the US. Wagner has a respectable background (Purple Heart) and has some name recognition and experience, not to mention he just looks right for the job (Sorry Schwartz, its a harder sell). I'd back him in the primary and general in the senate race.

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!  Ron Klink Part Deux.

We could pull off Allyson Schwartz without selling out.  ! stomached Casey.  I don't think we need to do it again.  In this case I might back Specter.  The parts of the state that drink the populist Kool-Aid are declining in population and not as influential as they once were.  The Dems need the Philly suburbs.  Screw the "I was once a Democrat" Bob Casey clowns.  We've been fine without them.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 08:53:21 AM »

Screw the "I was once a Democrat" Bob Casey clowns.  We've been fine without them.

You wouldn't win elections here without those types, pal.

We have:

2002- Rendell
2004- Kerry
2006- Rendell again
2008- Obama.  And don't give me the PA is partisan nationally stuff.  We practically saw the realignment of conservative Dems out west to the GOP.

I think we'll be fine and would be wise to go with Schwartz.  She has an incredible campaign operation and would only need to pull 50-50 in the Pittsburgh and Scranton-WB markets to win.  Wagner in a crowded primary of liberals would be another Ron Klink with no support in the Southeast.  Our electorate would be scrambled eggs in a Specter-Wagner matchup.  I'm not particularly aching for Specter's removal anywhere near as much as Santorum though I don't agree with him on a lot.  There's a lot I don't agree with Wagner with as well mainly every social issue.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 08:09:31 PM »

We have:

2002- Rendell
2004- Kerry
2006- Rendell again
2008- Obama.  And don't give me the PA is partisan nationally stuff.  We practically saw the realignment of conservative Dems out west to the GOP.

Oh, give me a break. Rendell as an example? Please. Take a look at his candidates and then there's the whole idea that we don't kick out incumbent Governors. And the partisan argument is legitimate especially this year. Many conservative Dems still stuck with Obama.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Your comparison of Wagner to Klink is still ridiculous. He doesn't need support in the SE. If you want to say that he's not good for you on the issues, fine but please don't make an electability argument.

Good luck getting Schwartz to do that well out west and in the Scranton area. Meanwhile, Wagner would win easily, get enough conservative Dem support in certain pockets of the SE and even hold his own in central PA. The areas where Wagner would hold his own is where Schwartz would get destroyed. He has a lot more pull.

You need to seperate electability and your personal feelings, my friend. I do it all the time with Specter. If I was all about just keeping the seat Republican, I'd be behind him 100%.

Someone who is pro-life, at least, gives a lot of conservatives a reason to stab Specter.

Wagner isn't just Pro Life either. There's a reason why people like myself would, if anything, lean towards Wagner in this matchup. Now I know that irritates someone with Flyers' ideology but if you're a Democrat in PA, that's gold. Sure, the Dem base wouldn't be pleased but they're not even close to being like your average Pennsylvania voter. Moderate to conservative Dems dominate here for a reason.

Pick your battle - a match up where both bases aren't enthusiastic about their party's candidate but one of them clearly has better inroads or a battle between a more polarizing challenger who hasn't been tested statewide and doesn't make inroads.

And another thing you may wish to consider is how the climate might be in 2010. If it's looking bad for the Dems, do you really want to run a liberal with no record of strong victory statewide?

I definitely think there will be base issues if Wagner and Specter were to both win.  There would definitely be 3rd parties doing well, especially since the Dems control the Senate.  The Democratic party in PA of 2008 is not what it was in 1992.  The old-guard conservative Dems have died off and liberal Republicans have realigned as Democrats.  Bob Casey Jr. won the margins he did largely because you had Dems stomaching him to see Santorum removed and a shot at the majority.  Myself nor a lot of Dems will be so willing to suck it up for Wagner this time as we did Casey.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 07:11:17 PM »

I will be voting Specter, and if the CFG primaries him out, then I will probably vote for the Democrat if he's not too populist.

That's probably what I'll be doing although I'd vote for Wagner over Toomey.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies