Obama's Secretary of Education: Arne Duncan (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:37:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Obama's Secretary of Education: Arne Duncan (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Obama's Secretary of Education: Arne Duncan  (Read 7366 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« on: December 16, 2008, 03:48:26 PM »

"If charter schools work let’s try that," Obama said. "Let’s not be clouded by ideology when it comes to figuring out what helps our kids."

God bless him.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 06:17:12 PM »

"If charter schools work let’s try that," Obama said. "Let’s not be clouded by ideology when it comes to figuring out what helps our kids."

God bless him.

Indeed.

I bolded that because I got in some heated arguments about whether Obama supported vouchers, and it seems post-election he is very much open to it.  I mean, with the financial crisis, I don't expect Obama to be spending any political capital at all on education, but maybe in his second term...

Duncan seems nifty since he isn't adverse to closing failing schools and firing bad teachers if he can openly catch them, while at the same time he seems to enjoy the good graces of the teachers unions.  I would actually prefer someone, on principle, that the teachers unions hated, but that might not be pragmatic.  Teacher's unions seem obsessed with the status quo, which makes them effectively anti-children since the status quo is unacceptable.  I'd be fine with paying teachers a lot more, but they'd have to actually deliver and not just be slackers on tenure like most of the people I've encountered.

Yep. More of a reason why Obama is a FF on education.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies