Happy Chanukah! (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:12:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Happy Chanukah! (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Happy Chanukah!  (Read 15355 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« on: December 21, 2008, 07:24:46 PM »

Happy Hanukkah, my friends.

Edit:  By the way, the priest offered a prayer to our Jewish brothers and sisters as they begin their celebration of Chanukah today at mass.  You aren't forgotten this time of year!

I never understood how/why you would pray for people that you think are going to burn for eternity, but I guess this isn't the right venue for that

Is that what the Catholic Church says?  I don't even know.

No, we don't. Just more ignorance on the part of the Catholic haters.

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 12:40:35 AM »

Happy Hanukkah, my friends.

Edit:  By the way, the priest offered a prayer to our Jewish brothers and sisters as they begin their celebration of Chanukah today at mass.  You aren't forgotten this time of year!

I never understood how/why you would pray for people that you think are going to burn for eternity, but I guess this isn't the right venue for that

Is that what the Catholic Church says?  I don't even know.

No, we don't. Just more ignorance on the part of the Catholic haters.

I was gonna say that didn't sound right.

Matthew 25:41 (Jesus speaking to people at final judgment), ...Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels.

Revelation 14:11, And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night...

Revelation 20:12, 15, And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life...And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Catholics don't take every single Biblical quote literally so, again, you're misstating the belief of the Church.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 01:06:03 PM »

Matthew 25:41 (Jesus speaking to people at final judgment), ...Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels.

Revelation 14:11, And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night...

Revelation 20:12, 15, And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life...And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

None of those passages say "Jews will go to Hell." 

And Phil's right.  Catholics don't interpret the Bible the same way Protestants do. 

well, they say/infer that those who do not accept Jesus as their savior will go to Hell.  Jews believe Jesus was a heretic, so...

and how do Catholics interpret the above verses?  I don't see much wiggle-room, but I've been fooled before

I'm not going into the Catechism (especially not here, of all places). I just wanted you to realize that it is not the position of the Church that all non-believers are going to Hell.

Also, it is my understanding that Jews view Jesus as a great prophet. Muslims, too. The Jewish leaders at the time viewed him as a blasphemer. It's a bit different these days.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 06:21:34 PM »

Nope, only Muslims. He is as much of a heretic now as ever in our view. And I've spoken to a Roman Catholic who went to a Jesuit high school and I've been told that unless I accept Jesus Christ as my lord and savior I'm damned to hell for all eternity. Anyone knowledgeable enough to answer this question here?

Ok, well whoever told you that misunderstood. It's especially amusing because a Jesuit would have had to say that and Jesuits, of all people, don't believe that.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies