Dems embrace dynasty politics
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:43:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Dems embrace dynasty politics
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Dems embrace dynasty politics  (Read 19619 times)
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2008, 11:21:20 PM »

Edit:  The Udalls too, but as was mentioned earlier, Gordon Smith is a Republican.

The presence of a D-WV doesn't make the Rockefellers any less Republican, does it?

Oh yes, the Rockefeller political family as well. Jay Rockefeller (senator from WV), Nelson Rockefeller (vice president under Ford), Winthrop Paul Rockefeller (lieutenant governor of AR under Huckabee), and plenty of others.

Shawn Carter aka Jay-Z aka Jay-hova aka Young H-O, CEO of Rocafella Records    DYNASTY!!!
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2008, 11:42:21 PM »

At least Obama himself is the exact opposite of a political dynasty or royalty (well, at least about as close to it as anyone can be and still be elected President realistically).
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2008, 11:55:16 PM »

At least the Kennedy family doesn't hurt my eyes.

Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2008, 12:08:44 AM »

At least Obama himself is the exact opposite of a political dynasty or royalty (well, at least about as close to it as anyone can be and still be elected President realistically).

He was groomed by chief of staff to Tom Daschle, who was one of the top players in the Senate, from his first day. He might not be political dynasty, but Al is right in that he doesn't match in his socio-economic status with any disadvantaged group, minority or not. He is a Harvard-educated, Hyde Park-supported candidate who was always sponsored by someone higher than him to feed his large ambitions.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2008, 12:13:08 AM »

He was groomed by chief of staff to Tom Daschle, who was one of the top players in the Senate, from his first day. He might not be political dynasty, but Al is right in that he doesn't match in his socio-economic status with any disadvantaged group, minority or not. He is a Harvard-educated, Hyde Park-supported candidate who was always sponsored by someone higher than him to feed his large ambitions.

Your critique operates within Nym's stated framework.  No need to state the obvious.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2008, 12:16:30 AM »

Take a look at Teddy with his shirt off. Wait, no, don't do that. You don't deserve that.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2008, 01:18:10 AM »

Take a look at Teddy with his shirt off. Wait, no, don't do that. You don't deserve that.

Maybe that's what Chappaquiddick was really all about. That chick saw him naked and decided to drive off a bridge!
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2008, 01:55:46 AM »

Even though we've been without a monarch for over 200 years Americans still maintain a bizarre love affair with royalty, hence the political dynasty.  As long as it doesn't turn into an oligarchy though I don't have many gripes.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2008, 09:53:39 AM »

Your critique operates within Nym's stated framework.  No need to state the obvious.

Yes, thank you. Smiley
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2008, 10:00:08 AM »

Obama went from vaguely middle class to borderline-wealth and from a Hawai'ian background. Yes, he marks the african-american box on the census but he's not from a 'Black' background in the sense of the sociocultural baggage/common traditions.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2008, 03:30:26 PM »

he's not from a 'Black' background in the sense of the sociocultural baggage/common traditions.

Which is a large part of why he was able to win, of course.

He was able to walk the fine line perfectly. In retrospect, shoud've been obvious all along that the first black President would have to do so.
Barack Hussian YO MAMA!!!!
The Rascal King
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.46, S: 4.96

« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2008, 08:24:28 PM »
« Edited: December 20, 2008, 08:38:56 PM by Alabama bound »

The love affair with and domination of the Kennedy family doesn't even begin to compare to the Bush family.
thats because the Kennedy's are massive Freedom Fighters.
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain

« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2008, 08:24:59 PM »

The kennedys are HPs of the worst sort.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2008, 08:28:02 PM »

The kennedys are HPs of the worst sort.
That's not how you say FF.
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain

« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2008, 11:35:20 PM »

I didn't say FF. Wink
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2008, 12:23:11 AM »

Caroline Kennedy's strengths include her extremely high name recognition, ability to raise money and elite connections.  These assets are largely due to her birthright.  But power is power whether it is self-made or inherited.  What's more important is how she uses the power she has.  For most of her life she has used it sparingly outside of a few charitable causes.  That she is now choosing to wield it full bore is interesting.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2008, 12:55:17 AM »
« Edited: December 21, 2008, 01:01:14 AM by Ogre Mage »

Caroline Kennedy's strengths include her extremely high name recognition, ability to raise money and elite connections.  These assets are largely due to her birthright.  But power is power whether it is self-made or inherited.  What's more important is how she uses the power she has.  For most of her life she has used it sparingly outside of a few charitable causes.  That she is now choosing to wield it full bore is interesting.

So let her do it for public organizations and help them fundraise. There is a huge difference between pulling connections and raising money and serving as a representative of the people. It may help to have those skills, but those are far from the only requirements to serve as my voice in the Senate.

Out of curiosity, would you be opposed to Kennedy if Paterson appointed someone else as a "caretaker" for two years and then she ran and won the seat via election in 2010?  Of course, I suppose much would depend on what happened during the campaign.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2008, 10:44:09 AM »

Out of curiosity, would you be opposed to Kennedy if Paterson appointed someone else as a "caretaker" for two years and then she ran and won the seat via election in 2010?  Of course, I suppose much would depend on what happened during the campaign.

I think the reason I am so agitated about this is that one man has the power to decide the outcome here and that one man has the ability to transcend the herd behavior and celebrity premium that is impossible to drive out of electoral politics. I don't love the family thing in political campaigns, but I recognize it is something we all have to live with because we can not change it. It's the aggregate result of too many individual decisions to donate money and support people who remind you of others you supported, or who seem safe because you think others will like them. There's no reason why David Patterson as an individual has to go along with it, though.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2008, 08:42:24 AM »
« Edited: December 22, 2008, 08:44:23 AM by Ogre Mage »

There's no reason why David Patterson as an individual has to go along with it, though.

There are very powerful reasons why a Kennedy appointment would serve Paterson's political interests.  Reid has made clear he wants Kennedy in the Senate.  The incoming Obama Administration has been more veiled, but rumors swirl that they want it as well.  Not surprising given that she would be by far the most helpful to the national party.  Caroline can self-fund for 2010, which means more local money for Paterson who also must run in the same year.  And he would appear on the ballot with Kennedy. 

I still predict she will be selected.  It's possible that Paterson may go the "caretaker" route, though.  Kennedy has said she will run in 2010 whether she is chosen or not.

Personally, dynasties don't bother me.  I'm more concerned that the strongest candidate possible is appointed.  I'm not convinced that Caro is the strongest, but don't see a hands-down case for anyone else either.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies