Obama picks Rick Warren for inaugural invocation, gay leaders furious
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:11:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Obama picks Rick Warren for inaugural invocation, gay leaders furious
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: Obama picks Rick Warren for inaugural invocation, gay leaders furious  (Read 15935 times)
panda_priest
Rookie
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: December 23, 2008, 12:33:25 AM »

you know you're in the last days when an inaugural invocation by someone who teaches traditional biblical values becomes "controversial"

I think if we started stoning disobedient children out in the streets that would be a tad controversial.

let's see, according to your logic:  "we should stop preaching against murder, theft, bestiality, and incest...since those values also are found in the bible."

sorry, but you're just plain stupid (as well as ignorant of the differences between the old and new covenants)

Traditional Biblical Values are responsible for the murder of children when the old testament was written, which at the time was the "new" testament. Now we have today's Traditional Biblical Values that deny gay rights to Americans. That's why choosing Rick Warren for Obama's inauguration is controversial, though hypocritical since Obama opposes gay marriage.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #101 on: December 23, 2008, 12:51:42 AM »
« Edited: December 23, 2008, 12:58:10 AM by Judas Maccabeus »

you know you're in the last days when an inaugural invocation by someone who teaches traditional biblical values becomes "controversial"

I think if we started stoning disobedient children out in the streets that would be a tad controversial.

let's see, according to your logic:  "we should stop preaching against murder, theft, bestiality, and incest...since those values also are found in the bible."

sorry, but you're just plain stupid (as well as ignorant of the differences between the old and new covenants)

Traditional Biblical Values are responsible for the murder of children when the old testament was written, which at the time was the "new" testament. Now we have today's Traditional Biblical Values that deny gay rights to Americans. That's why choosing Rick Warren for Obama's inauguration is controversial, though hypocritical since Obama opposes gay marriage.

Eh...there's no evidence that the Law of Moses was ever strictly enforced, and plenty that it wasn't.  Both archeological evidence and the latter parts of the Old Testament are pretty clear that the Israelites' reputation for being "stiff-necked" and not following the Law is pretty well-founded.

EDIT: At least in pre-Exile, First Temple times.

After that, the Talmud is pretty clear that the Sanhedrin were not big on actually giving out death sentences for crimes that Moses wanted to give death sentences for.

After Hellenistic influences set in, the upper crust of the Jewish elite were eating non-Kosher meat, hanging out in the gymnasium, and discussing non-Jewish philosophy, and were rarely, if ever, punished.  After all, it's not like the Hasmonean (and later Herodian) authorities, who were doing the same, cared.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #102 on: December 23, 2008, 01:19:30 AM »

You're guilty of the same attitude, frankly, in your reply. Listen, the laws of the Bible should only be put into real world law if they can stand on their own merits apart from simple 'being in the Bible'. This is because the absolute nature of much of the written Word is completely incompatible in real world application as well as the simple fact that those who do not regard the Bible will not respect it as the law of the land if that is its only basis.
panda_priest
Rookie
United States

« Reply #103 on: December 23, 2008, 01:47:16 AM »

Eh...there's no evidence that the Law of Moses was ever strictly enforced, and plenty that it wasn't.  Both archeological evidence and the latter parts of the Old Testament are pretty clear that the Israelites' reputation for being "stiff-necked" and not following the Law is pretty well-founded.

EDIT: At least in pre-Exile, First Temple times.

After that, the Talmud is pretty clear that the Sanhedrin were not big on actually giving out death sentences for crimes that Moses wanted to give death sentences for.

After Hellenistic influences set in, the upper crust of the Jewish elite were eating non-Kosher meat, hanging out in the gymnasium, and discussing non-Jewish philosophy, and were rarely, if ever, punished.  After all, it's not like the Hasmonean (and later Herodian) authorities, who were doing the same, cared.

I'm saying there were parents the stoned their children because those were the biblical values at the time. Now we have new biblical values that deny gays they're right to marry because the bible is against it. The bible is also against divorce but christians  and christians divorce all the time and are allowed to do so.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #104 on: December 23, 2008, 05:13:21 AM »

No, you should just stop preaching, jmfcst.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #105 on: December 23, 2008, 10:39:06 AM »

Honestly, what I'm saying is that anyone surprised or disappointed by this has not listened to President-Elect's Obama for the last four years.

I'm not surprised or disappointed by this because it's a repeat of Donnie McClurkin and it is Obama's M.O. to do things like this. However, the fact that I'm not surprised does not mean that gays don't have a right to express our views on this and make sure he reiterates his moderate support for our causes, which he has expressed on many occasions short of outright supporting marriage equality.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #106 on: December 23, 2008, 01:31:58 PM »

First off, can people stop saying "gays need to stop..." because not all gay people are fighting/mad about this. I am gay, and I can care less if Rick Warren prays for Obama at the inaugural. I mean Obama needs all the prayer he can get. Also I think it is a shame to the "gay rights movement" that some of the leaders are getting upset about this. I just makes it look like they are trying to be an attention whore. They are making a mountain out of a mole hill.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies