Are you happy Hillary was denied the presidency because of her war vote?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:04:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Are you happy Hillary was denied the presidency because of her war vote?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Are you happy Hillary was denied the presidency because of her war vote?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 35

Author Topic: Are you happy Hillary was denied the presidency because of her war vote?  (Read 3782 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 22, 2008, 12:44:14 PM »

She probably would've won without that. But it screwed her over, as did her refusal to apologize.

Actions have consequences. Very satisying.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 04:21:05 PM »

Yes, because Senator Clinton's vote on the War in Iraq really had such an affect on those who voted in the 2008 Democratic primaries that she lost the nomination. I'm not denying that it contributed to her defeat, but it was nothing compared to numerous other factors, such as Obama's organization, etc which helped Senator Clinton lose the nomination Senator Obama.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 04:26:54 PM »

Yes, because Senator Clinton's vote on the War in Iraq really had such an affect on those who voted in the 2008 Democratic primaries that she lost the nomination. I'm not denying that it contributed to her defeat, but it was nothing compared to numerous other factors, such as Obama's organization, etc which helped Senator Clinton lose the nomination Senator Obama.

^^^^

Exactly. I would wager to say her stand gained her some votes as well from more hawkish Dems, of which there are more than BRTD would like to admit. If a Democratic President had started the Iraq war, a good portion of the party would have rallied behind him and a good portion of pro war Republicans would have become anti war.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 05:39:09 PM »

She probably would've won without that. But it screwed her over, as did her refusal to apologize.

Actions have consequences. Very satisying.

I'm not sure if it was the deciding factor or not but it's certainly nice to think that could have been. Her arrogance regarding her position on that all-important issue was simply mind-blowing.
Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 06:48:35 PM »

I wish Obama had picked Kerry over her for State.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 06:50:00 PM »

I would prefer Kerry, but at least she's out of the Senate now and is basically Obama's lapdog.
Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 06:58:43 PM »

I would prefer Kerry, but at least she's out of the Senate now and is basically Obama's lapdog.

I'd prefer if she didn't have any influence in the cabinet to be honest, especially foreign affairs.

A wounded senator would've suited me better.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 08:17:27 PM »

^^^^

Exactly. I would wager to say her stand gained her some votes as well from more hawkish Dems, of which there are more than BRTD would like to admit.

I think the Joe Lieberman's campaign in 2004 showed how many there were. And that was 2004, not 2008. There is simply no way it gained her more votes than it lost.

If a Democratic President had started the Iraq war, a good portion of the party would have rallied behind him and a good portion of pro war Republicans would have become anti war.

And that's relevant because...?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 08:24:18 PM »

^^^^

Exactly. I would wager to say her stand gained her some votes as well from more hawkish Dems, of which there are more than BRTD would like to admit.

I think the Joe Lieberman's campaign in 2004 showed how many there were. And that was 2004, not 2008. There is simply no way it gained her more votes than it lost.

Joe Lieberman was running as a pro- war candidate not just a hawkish candidate. You had the top two vote getters with 68% of the vote in the Iowa caucus who voted for the war in Iraq and had not apologized for it, and another 11% went to a guy who basically organized the pro- authorization Dems in the House.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

[/quote]

The political science literature tells us that partisans sometimes make their decisions based on what famous people whom they like say. For example, prior to the bombing halt in 1967 most Americans were against a bombing halt. But after it was announced, most Americans shifted to favor it. The same goes with partisans of one party. Had a Democratic President launched the war, and all the Democratic politicians were saying the war was good, and all the Republican politicians were saying it was bad, most Democrats probably would have ended up favoring the war, and most Republicans opposing it.

In other words, a lot of the polling vis-a-vis the war reflected partisanship rather than innate inclinations. No party has a monopoly on isolationist, anti- war tendencies, or internationalist tendencies.
Nixon in '80
nixon1980
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.84, S: -5.39

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2008, 05:12:57 AM »

If a Democratic President had started the Iraq war, a good portion of the party would have rallied behind him and a good portion of pro war Republicans would have become anti war.

The political science literature tells us that partisans sometimes make their decisions based on what famous people whom they like say. For example, prior to the bombing halt in 1967 most Americans were against a bombing halt. But after it was announced, most Americans shifted to favor it. The same goes with partisans of one party. Had a Democratic President launched the war, and all the Democratic politicians were saying the war was good, and all the Republican politicians were saying it was bad, most Democrats probably would have ended up favoring the war, and most Republicans opposing it.

In other words, a lot of the polling vis-a-vis the war reflected partisanship rather than innate inclinations. No party has a monopoly on isolationist, anti- war tendencies, or internationalist tendencies.

Case in point: Kosovo

I'm not saying Kosovo and Iraq are very similar, they are not... but I believe the respective reactions of the partisans from both sides effectively prove Beet's point.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2008, 11:18:23 AM »

That's funny, because Supersoulty frequently blasts me for my anti-Kosovo War and Kosovo independence arguments.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2008, 12:32:08 PM »

No, I'm just happy she was denied the Presidency.
Nixon in '80
nixon1980
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.84, S: -5.39

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2008, 04:40:10 PM »

That's funny, because Supersoulty frequently blasts me for my anti-Kosovo War and Kosovo independence arguments.

I commend you for your consistent non-interventionism... but you cannot deny that most Democrats, once the operation started, supported it, while a higher percentage of Republicans criticized it.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2008, 03:05:42 AM »

defe07

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2008, 10:52:29 AM »

We all remember when the downfall of Hillary's securing the nomination came, right? Not only her vote for the War in Iraq was critical, she could've been the nominee if it weren't for her stand on drvier's licenses for illegal immigrants.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2008, 05:19:39 PM »

oftentimes the problem with BRTD polls is that he makes one clause dependent on another when it really shouldn't be, making it very difficult me to come down on either side of the manufactured dichotomy.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2008, 06:19:46 PM »

Exactly
Kane
Rookie
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2008, 10:16:05 AM »

No, I just liked Obama better.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies