Does this scare you and remind you of Mao?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:33:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Does this scare you and remind you of Mao?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Does this scare you and remind you of Mao?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 39

Author Topic: Does this scare you and remind you of Mao?  (Read 15706 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 22, 2008, 06:42:42 PM »
« edited: December 22, 2008, 06:47:29 PM by The Tension Between Stillness and Motion »

I figure this'll send the Republicans here into a fury. BTW this is just one of many stores in Minneapolis decorated as such.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 06:48:25 PM »

It reminds me of Mao, and I would note that Mao didn't have to contest elections.

There is a problem that a few folks have raised, and and we have seen developing.  What if Obama disappoints?  It started with the gay community and I should note that some of the more serious attacks on Obama have come from the highest ranking openly gay politician, Barney Frank.

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 06:49:30 PM »

See my sig for the power of your predicting ability!
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 06:51:55 PM »

It's true though, if every gay person in America was able to do a re-vote, they wouldn't vote for Obama again. Smiley
Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 06:52:42 PM »

Mao - another victim of the "he doesn't like us so he must be evil" American xenophobic mentality.

A political hero of his time.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 06:58:51 PM »

Mao - another victim of the "he doesn't like us so he must be evil" American xenophobic mentality.

Ah, yes.  Trying to impress us with your charming "shock the bourgeoisie" schtick again.

Please don't feed the troll.  He's baiting you.  He wants to feel superior to you by defending the perpetrator of the Great Starvation Leap Forward and the Cultural Devolution.
Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 07:12:27 PM »

Ah, yes.  Trying to impress us with your charming "shock the bourgeoisie" schtick again.

Please don't feed the troll.  He's baiting you.  He wants to feel superior to you by defending the perpetrator of the Great Starvation Leap Forward and the Cultural Devolution.

Yes, of course. Everybody outside the banal mainstream is a troll.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 07:32:00 PM »

It's true though, if every gay person in America was able to do a re-vote, they wouldn't vote for Obama again. Smiley

No, that's probably not true, actually. This Warren "controversy" has been blown way out of proportion by the media. The guy is a scumbag, but I doubt there are that many gays that really care about the fact that he's going to get to speak/pray/dance around/whatever for a few minutes at Obama's inaugural. I'd imagine that they have more pressing concerns.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 08:16:43 PM »

They wouldn't be voting for McCain either.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 08:18:42 PM »

No, that's probably not true, actually. This Warren "controversy" has been blown way out of proportion by the media. The guy is a scumbag, but I doubt there are that many gays that really care about the fact that he's going to get to speak/pray/dance around/whatever for a few minutes at Obama's inaugural. I'd imagine that they have more pressing concerns.
I know, I was joking, especially with J.J.'s post. Tongue But you certainly would think so if you went to Democratic Underground or Daily Kos...
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2008, 08:49:20 PM »

They wouldn't be voting for McCain either.

and Obama could have won without their votes.
longtimelurker

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 2.43

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2008, 09:01:39 PM »

This does not remind me of Mao.  Re-education camps, mass starvation and extermination are what would remind me of Mao.
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2008, 09:09:29 PM »

huh?
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2008, 09:39:33 PM »

huh?
Cause he slightly befriends some anti-gay guy and picked him to do nothing that has anything to do with policy, so obviously all gays hate him now. Tongue (I remind you here, groups and their supposed 'leaders' almost never agree)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2008, 10:39:44 PM »

Nope. I've seen similar displays around Washington, DC too.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2008, 10:57:22 PM »

I would vote for him again.  The Warren thing is not a big enough deal to turn the entire gay community against Obama.  For the most part, I'd say we are a tad bit irked.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2008, 11:00:35 PM »

Considering his approval rating is astronomically higher than on Election Day, I think the idea that Obama has already alienated more voters than he's won is ridiculous.

The posters remind me of Mao.  It's a cult of personality.  It's not especially one that worries me, but maybe I'm being insufficiently vigilant.  I also think it's more based on externalities to personality than most cults of personality.
Nixon in '80
nixon1980
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.84, S: -5.39

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2008, 05:15:39 AM »

No, this does not scare me.

Yes, this reminds me of Mao, Stalin, Hitler, Kennedy, Reagan, and all cults of personality.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2008, 05:30:38 AM »

Hahaha, why would some photos of a capitalist running dog remind me of Mao?  Mao slaughtered the kind of people Obama serves.

How's that for some shocking honesty for the bourgeoisie?
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2008, 07:59:12 AM »

I was at a frickin' Bed, Bath and Beyond and they had a damn Obama commemorative plate! At a store that sells Bed and Bath stuff!! When Clinton won in '92, there wasn't all this. When Bush won in '00, there wasn't all of this.

Why does he have to be any different? I mean...I find it strange that the candidate who did the least amount of work to get to the White House wins this sweeping victory and is seen as a messiah. I really can't understand it. I think it has to do with one thing and one thing only. He gives a mesmerizing speech. Well so do I! Does that mean if I ever become the well-known, foreign policy Senator from Ohio that suddenly they will say "Hey...that Naso guy is electrifying and gives a booming, stirring speech. He could be President of the United States in four years."?
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2008, 09:27:49 AM »

I was at a frickin' Bed, Bath and Beyond and they had a damn Obama commemorative plate! At a store that sells Bed and Bath stuff!! When Clinton won in '92, there wasn't all this. When Bush won in '00, there wasn't all of this.

Why does he have to be any different? I mean...I find it strange that the candidate who did the least amount of work to get to the White House wins this sweeping victory and is seen as a messiah. I really can't understand it. I think it has to do with one thing and one thing only. He gives a mesmerizing speech. Well so do I! Does that mean if I ever become the well-known, foreign policy Senator from Ohio that suddenly they will say "Hey...that Naso guy is electrifying and gives a booming, stirring speech. He could be President of the United States in four years."?

You may have legs to stand on if there hasn't already been a ginger president. NO SOUL IN 2040!
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2008, 10:13:37 AM »

It reminds me of Mao, and I would note that Mao didn't have to contest elections.

There is a problem that a few folks have raised, and and we have seen developing.  What if Obama disappoints?  It started with the gay community and I should note that some of the more serious attacks on Obama have come from the highest ranking openly gay politician, Barney Frank.

He's bound to disappoint some people.

I will make a bold prediction that he'll disappoint a lot fewer people than Bush did after his 2004 reelection.
humder
Rookie

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2008, 02:57:01 PM »

No, it reminds me of America. American politics is very personality centered. During the election campaign, there was far more about personality than the issues.
RJ
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2008, 04:46:17 PM »

I don't recall the words "hope" or "change" associated with Mao.
humder
Rookie

« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2008, 05:01:28 PM »

I don't recall the words "hope" or "change" associated with Mao.

Exactly. Why are some people scared of others being inspired and hopeful? Why is that a bad thing? It can come across a bit over the top sometimes but that does not compare it to a mass murderer. There are lots of leaders who had a large reaction like Mao but did great things, for example Gandhi and MLK.
  If Obama supporters were attacking Republicans, then you should be scared.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies