Does this scare you and remind you of Mao?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:35:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Does this scare you and remind you of Mao?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: Does this scare you and remind you of Mao?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 39

Author Topic: Does this scare you and remind you of Mao?  (Read 15561 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2008, 05:09:00 PM »

ROFL @ JJ

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/12/24/cnn-poll-obama-transition-draws-approval-of-4-in-5-americans/

You must be logged in to read this quote.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2008, 06:17:01 PM »

Please note my sig when analyzing any of his posts.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2008, 06:18:14 PM »

It reminds me of Mao, and I would note that Mao didn't have to contest elections.

There is a problem that a few folks have raised, and and we have seen developing.  What if Obama disappoints?  It started with the gay community and I should note that some of the more serious attacks on Obama have come from the highest ranking openly gay politician, Barney Frank.

My question was what if he disappoints, mainly economically - will people blame Obama, or Bush?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2008, 06:31:23 PM »

So far, there are some rough patches, and he has yet to be sworn in.

Your first paragraph was spot-on, but are we going to have to deal with your 2008 Election form of analysis for four years?  Look at Obama's approvals in public polling.  Why would you ignore that, in lieu of "there are some rough patches, and he has yet to be sworn in"?

Alcon, I was surprised by Frank's comments, first on the bailout and the gay community's reaction.  I do not recall a president elect being so criticized by one of his own constituency groups before he was actually sworn in.    If Frank were a Republican or an old-style bole weevil, it wouldn't be a blip.  It is a bit more than a blip.

Then there is the Blago "scandal" which wasn't handled particularly well, at least in keeping with the "change" mantra.  Obama, and his staffers to be, are probably not hiding anything improper, but the delay in releasing makes it look like he's hiding something.

Like I said, rough patches.  There is a difference between things are not going as well as they should, and "OMG Obama's doomed."
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2008, 06:42:13 PM »
« Edited: December 24, 2008, 06:44:54 PM by Alcon »

J. J.,

Why would you focus on "rough patches" when he has the highest approval ratings of any incoming President in decades?  Especially because the interest group he pissed off is one of the least likely to abandon the Democratic Parties even when they disapprove.

I mean, if he's pissed off the gays and still has these approval ratings, he'd be approaching 2012 with the potential for an incredible landslide.  Yet you characterize his process so far as having "rough patches," instead of having incredibly high approvals?  That's the characterization you choose to center your analysis around?

Reminds me of all the stuff you looked at when you botched this year, just saying.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #55 on: December 24, 2008, 07:32:12 PM »

J. J.,

Why would you focus on "rough patches" when he has the highest approval ratings of any incoming President in decades?  Especially because the interest group he pissed off is one of the least likely to abandon the Democratic Parties even when they disapprove.

I'm not focusing on them, but I'm not ignoring them either.  And, I've seen very high approval ratings nosedive with actual performance.   If they were actually based on performance, I'd be impressed.  I'm not and I feel it's a bit unfair to praise or criticize Obama as president elect, because there is not too much there yet.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The thing with the Frank problem is that this the first time I've heard part of a president's core constituency voice criticism of (minimal) action before the guy is even sworn in.  Some things, like appointments, I have seen, but not the comments on the bailout.

Right now, the approval is for the cabinet appointments (which generally get my approval as well) and some other thing.  People are saying, "We approve of change," or "We approve that we're not a racist country (sorta, anymore)."  Those last two things will melt away with the Spring Thaw, when actual performance comes into play.  Those things are not going to last. 
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #56 on: December 24, 2008, 07:47:35 PM »

he has the highest approval ratings of any incoming President in decades

Those polls are tainted by the Bradley Effect.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #57 on: December 24, 2008, 08:25:55 PM »

he has the highest approval ratings of any incoming President in decades

Those polls are tainted by the Bradley Effect.

Roll Eyes

No, but it might be that in Obama people see Obama as symbol of change and of "inclusion."  He has to be inclusive, inclusion has to be seen being important, and he has to make the right kind of change for the numbers to hold.

At this point, I think he's made some good cabinet choices, but that was expected.

I've seen good poll numbers come and go.  Right now, they are pretty meaningless, which is both good and bad.  Even if six months from now, they drop 10-15 points, it's just settling back down.
RosettaStoned
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.45, S: -5.91

« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2008, 04:50:13 PM »

Not scary at all.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #59 on: December 31, 2008, 12:52:58 AM »

Hey, maybe you aren't as dumb as I thought you were! Any mention of the "Bradley Effect" deserves an eye-roll. Smiley
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #60 on: December 31, 2008, 02:38:31 PM »

I don't think these were from the Obama campaign either. There was a blurb in the City Pages about the local artist who designed them.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies