JFK Lives
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:25:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  JFK Lives
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 22
Author Topic: JFK Lives  (Read 160827 times)
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.10, S: -3.90

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2009, 07:41:09 AM »

I agree with Prime Minister Chipp on both questions. For one, Jackson would never take a VEEP role, and even with the Democratic party less dovish, he wasn't exactly the most inspirational candidate (plus labor wouldn't give him their full support if Humphrey was the frontrunner). The Prime Minister's second point I also agree with. For my Kennedy timline, I have realized that international events can become solid filler, as well as making things more interesting. For instance, Russia and China have worse relations with the U.S., and Vietnam may very well become a dominant power in southeast Asia.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2009, 01:06:09 PM »

Yes I suppose you're right.....

Jackson in '72 or an out of the blue candidate.

I know who will be president when this timeline ends....
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2009, 09:20:07 PM »

who do you think? A Kennedy perhaps?
Historico
United States

« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2009, 10:27:58 AM »

Im thinking that, the Democrats focus for the 72 election will be a successfull withdrawl from Vietnam, that being said I think Jackson will be able to clinch the nomination...and in a fight to regain working-class whites but to also sure up Black Voters unsure of his anti-busing stance, The Fighting democrat picks Kennedy. That way, you also get a balance on Age as well as Jackson was 60 compared to Teddy's 40. Although they probably don't get anything in the South, they may be able to cobble 270 electoral votes everwhere elese.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2009, 01:38:28 PM »

who do you think? A Kennedy perhaps?

Nope, and I won't say until It is finished because

1. Benconstine may get mad at me.
2. It is a guess, but a good one.
3. And no, Mark Warner is not my guess.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2009, 01:55:23 PM »

By all means, speculate.  I have absolutely no problem with speculating, unless I already told you.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2009, 01:59:11 PM »

By all means, speculate.  I have absolutely no problem with speculating, unless I already told you.

When does the timeline end, exactly, if it is present day I have a feeling about who it is.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2009, 02:01:42 PM »

When does the timeline end, exactly, if it is present day I have a feeling about who it is.

I'll probably end it with the 2008 elections.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2009, 02:03:22 PM »

President Jim Webb
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2009, 02:51:56 PM »

No, it will not be Jim Webb.  PBrunsel already did that.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2009, 04:35:52 PM »

No, it will not be Jim Webb.  PBrunsel already did that.

oh. dang it I was wrong.
Historico
United States

« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2009, 09:26:42 AM »

I'll probably end it with the 2008 elections.

As Far as speculation goes...For the 1972 Democratic Nominee's im still leaning toward a Scoop/Teddy Ticket(It just makes sense all around) but since TTL is ripe for an asssasination...So Arthur Bremer might be able to take out John Tower(He wanted to get Nixon but was unsuccessful, then he settled on Wallace). So the GOP nominee could be....

As far as who becomes POTUS on January 20th 2009 im going to say either John John or Caroline(Both of whom might get interested in Politics earlier than in OTL, with their real dad being around...so those butterflies could be interesting.)
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2009, 08:27:52 PM »

I can't wait for the next update................................
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #63 on: January 21, 2009, 08:35:29 PM »

I can't wait for the next update................................

In his State of the Union Address on January 23, 1971, President Tower declares that, “We have nearly won the war in Vietnam.  I can safely predict that by the end of 1973, Ho Chi Minh will be forced to sue for peace.”

However, shortly after the speech, Tower’s facts are disputed.  In testimony to the Senate Armed Services Committee, Secretary of the Navy John W. Warner says that, “Unless we have a drastic troop increase, and step up our bombing campaign, there will be no definite victory in the foreseeable future.”  In separate testimony, General Westmoreland confirms Warner’s statement.

Following these statements, Senate opposition to the war intensifies.  On March 1, a resolution introduced jointly by Senator Hubert H. Humphrey (D-MN), and Charles Mathias (R-MD), calls for a complete withdrawal of troops from Vietnam by December 31, 1972.  The resolution is filibustered, and fails to gain cloture, failing 55-45.

On March 10, the Senate votes on the Equal Rights Amendment.  That same day, a poll showed that 71% of voters wanted the ERA passed, including a majority in 30 states.  However, the ERA fails to gain the necessary votes, getting just 59 in favor, to 41 against.  The vote is seen as a victory for Tower, who had strongly opposed the Amendment.

On April 3, the Senate votes on an Amendment to lower the voting age to 18.  On this Amendment, Tower had not taken a position, as he didn’t want to be seen opposing the right to vote for any group of people.  The Amendment passes, 83-17, and on April 29, it passes the House 374-61, and is sent to the states for ratification.

In the second week of April, Tower begins yet another international tour.  While in England, he meets once again with Prime Minister Heath who, less than 2 years after taking office, appears likely to be voted out in the next election.  Tower, who hasn’t had approval ratings above 50% since early 1970, sympathizes with the Prime Minister, and tells him to ignore the polling, and do what he thinks is best.

On May 4, the Senate begins debate on the Freedom of Information Act.  Written by Senator Humphrey, the FIA would require full or partial disclosure of previously unreleased information and documents controlled by the United States Government.  The legislation is filibustered in the Senate, due to strong opposition from conservatives, as well the President, FBI, CIA, and other executive departments.

Senator Strom Thurmond (R-SC) filibustering the Freedom of Information Act

On June 17, the Senate votes on cloture.  In a surprise, the motion passes, 60-25.  On June 26, the Senate passes the FIA, 62-38.  It is then sent to the House, where it moves quickly, due to the illness of Rules Chairman William Colmer (D-MS).  It passes the House on July 25, 234-200.  It is, however, vetoed by President Tower, but on August 25, the Senate votes 70-30 to overrule the veto, and the House follows on September 16, 300-135.

On October 4, former President Eisenhower dies of congestive heart failure at his home in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania.  The funeral is attended by the President and his family, the Vice President and his family, President Pro Tempore of the Senate Richard B. Russell (D-GA), Speaker Carl Albert (D-OK), former Presidents Kennedy and Truman, and former Vice Presidents Johnson and Nixon, Nixon now serving as Governor of California.

In his State of the Union Address, President Tower pays tribute to Eisenhower, calling him “A true American hero.”  He also announces that he plans to up the troop levels in Vietnam, and repeats his statement from 1971 that the war will be over by 1973.

On February 4, 1972, the UK holds elections, and the results are a stunning defeat for incumbent Prime Minister Heath, as former Prime Minister Harold Wilson and the Labour Party regain their majority status.

Prime Minister Wilson waving to supporters following the election returns

On February 19, former Vice President Johnson dies of a heart attack at the Johnson Ranch, after being in poor health for several years.  The former Vice President is eulogized by his good friend Richard B. Russell, who calls him, “One of the greatest men to ever serve in the United States Senate.”

On March 5, in a 6-3 decision written by Chief Justice Bazelon, the Supreme Court rules in Roe v. Wade, that states cannot prohibit the right to an abortion.  The decision immediately causes controversy, with conservatives, both Democrats and Republicans, condemning the decision.  President Tower, however, comes out in support of the decision, angering the conservative base as Tower prepares to seek a second term in office.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2009, 08:51:53 PM »

Excellent Work!
Historico
United States

« Reply #65 on: January 21, 2009, 10:17:07 PM »

Hmm...I wasn't aware that Tower was Pro-choice in otl...So not only will Tower have to fend off a strong pool of Democratic candidates...He is going to have to face off against both the Conservative and Moderate wings of his own party over Roe V. Wade and Vietnam. He only has two choices that I forsee, unless some miracle happens in Vietnam, is to either withdraw his name from nomination like otl LBJ or go down like otl Carter....Keep it comming!!!
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2009, 10:19:59 PM »

Jackson! Jackson! Jackson! *woot*
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2009, 12:12:44 AM »

Excellent update, as always Ben Smiley.

With Richard Nixon now Governor of California, what's going on with Ronald Reagan? Was he elected Governor in 1966 as he was in RL or did he lose the Republican Primary to the former Vice President? Anyway, I hope he will not make appearance in this timeline. However, I would be pleased if he made a miraculous political comeback and lost whatever political office he were perusing.
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2009, 11:45:15 AM »

Yep Tower was Pro-Choice, so was Baker. It will be interesting as to how the Democratic Party will shift on abortion. Will Jack Kennedy be viewed as pro-choice or pro-life, and if the partisan divide is lessened, will abortion be that big of an issue.
Historico
United States

« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2009, 03:31:09 PM »

Hmm...It will be interesting to see where the true conservatives fall, especially if Abortion is taken out of the sails of the movement...I forsee a couple of Third Party runs, untill they blend back into the Republicans and Abortion seases to be an issue.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #70 on: January 22, 2009, 05:13:44 PM »

Excellent update, as always Ben Smiley.

With Richard Nixon now Governor of California, what's going on with Ronald Reagan? Was he elected Governor in 1966 as he was in RL or did he lose the Republican Primary to the former Vice President? Anyway, I hope he will not make appearance in this timeline. However, I would be pleased if he made a miraculous political comeback and lost whatever political office he were perusing.

Thank you Smiley  Ronald Reagan lost the GOP primary to Richard Nixon in 1966, and was appointed US Ambassador to the United Kingdom by President Tower in 1969, a role he has held ever since.  He has a gentleman's agreement with Governor Nixon that Nixon will step down in 1974, and Reagan will run again.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2009, 06:14:39 PM »

The Democratic Nomination

On March 4, 1971, the first Democrat declares his candidacy for President.  Speaking in Philadelphia, the city that first put him on the national stage, Senator Hubert H. Humphrey of Minnesota promises, “A brighter future for America.”  On March 22, Senator LeRoy Collins of Florida announces for the Presidency.  Three weeks later, Governor Kenneth M. Curtis of Maine declares his candidacy for President.

Almost immediately, it becomes clear that Humphrey has the edge.  On May 3, Senator Ed Muskie of Maine becomes the first major politician to endorse a candidate, when he announces his support for Humphrey.  Four days later, Senator George McGovern of South Dakota follows, and endorses Humphrey.  By the end of June, Humphrey has been endorsed by 19 Senators, 9 Governors, and 28 Congressman.

During the summer, though, all the talk centers not on Humphrey, but on two non-candidates: Senator Scoop Jackson of Washington, and Senator Edward Kennedy of Massachusetts.  Although the polls show Senator Humphrey with a large lead amongst the declared candidates, his lead disappears once Jackson and Kennedy are factored in.

On September 5, Kennedy calls a press conference.  He announces that he will not seek the Presidency, and is instead endorsing Humphrey.  Three days later, Jackson does the same.  By the middle of September, Humphrey appears to have the nomination locked up.

On January 24, the Iowa Caucuses are held.  The result is a resounding win for Humphrey, with 59% of the vote; Collins gets 31%, and Curtis gets 10%.  On March 7, the New Hampshire primary is held.  Humphrey wins, with 50% of the vote; Curtis receives 37%, and Collins receives 13%.

On March 14, Collins wins 98% in the uncontested Florida primary.  A week later, though, Humphrey wins 60% of the vote in Illinois, with Collins getting 26% and Curtis getting 14%.  On April 4, Humphrey wins 67% in Wisconsin, compared to 24% for Collins, and 9% for Curtis.  Following the defeat, Curtis drops out of the campaign, and endorses Humphrey.

On April 25, Humphrey clinches the nomination, with big victories in Massachusetts and Pennsylvania.  Collins drops out, and endorses Humphrey.

As the DNC gathers in Miami, several names are floated for Humphrey’s Vice President.  Among the names are Senators Muskie, Kennedy, and Collins, along with Governors Warren E. Hearnes of Missouri, Robert W. Scott of North Carolina, and Mills E. Godwin, Jr. of Virginia.  The day the convention convenes, Humphrey announces his choice: Governor Hearnes.  The speech by Senator Humphrey is widely regarded as one of the best in party history; he delivers a blistering attack on the last 4 years, and promises “Peace with honor,” in Vietnam.

The Republican Nomination

Throughout 1971, there are rumors that Tower will receive a primary challenger.  However, the only candidate to declare is Congressman John M. Ashbrook of Ohio.  Tower, however, easily beats back the Ashbrook challenge, and after failing to reach 10% in any of the first five primaries, Ashbrook drops out, but refuses to endorse Tower.

At the RNC in Dallas, Tower once again promises victory in Vietnam.  The convention in notable for Vice President Agnew’s attack on Senator Humphrey, saying that he stand for just three things: “Acid, amnesty, and abortion.”  The attack fails, however, and comes off as exaggerated.

The General Election

On September 1, the general election moves into full swing.  As in 1968, the American Independent Party nominates a candidate – their 1968 VP nominee, former Georgia Governor Lester Maddox.  As his running mate, Maddox selects Congressman Ashbrook, bringing bipartisanship to the ticket.

On September 20, the first debate is held.  Tower spends the entire debate attacking Humphrey, while Humphrey maintains a positive tone.  Maddox attacks both candidates equally, calling Humphrey a “Soviet spy” and Tower a “Chinese tool.”  The second debate, on October 9, is mostly occupied by Humphrey attacking the failures of Tower’s first term, including his budget cuts for NASA.

Despite the controversy, the election is close until, on October 6, reports break that Vice President Agnew was under investigation by the United States Attorney’s office in Baltimore, Maryland, on charges of extortion, tax fraud, bribery, and conspiracy. On October 19, he was formally charged with having accepted bribes totaling more than $100,000, while holding office as Baltimore County Executive, governor of Maryland, and Vice President of the United States.

Immediately, the numbers swing in Humphrey’s favor.  The Tower charge that the investigation was a political ploy organized by the Democrats does little to help Agnew, and on election day, Humphrey wins a major victory.

Hubert Humphrey/Warren Hearnes: 52.6% PV, 336 EV
John Tower/Spiro Agnew: 37.4% PV, 202 EV
Lester Maddox/John Ashbrook: 8.7% PV, 0 EV
Others: 1.3% PV, 0 EV

The Congressional Elections

At the Congressional level, Tower’s low approval ratings bring down numerous Congressional candidates, with the Republicans suffering massive losses in the House and Senate.  The margins in several of the losses is attributed directly to Tower’s loss, and he is blamed by Republicans for the Congressional defeats.

Senate Results

Democrats: 66 (+7)
Republicans: 34 (-7)

House Results
Democrats: 288 (+28)
Republicans: 147 (-28)
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #72 on: January 23, 2009, 06:55:11 PM »

Wow, a President Humphrey. Not to shocking if you think about the fact that he was royally screwed by Johnson/Vietnam, as well as pigeonholed as something he was not. I'm look forward to what one might call the most "Pragmatic Liberal" of all presidents.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #73 on: January 23, 2009, 08:25:27 PM »

WOW - I didn't expect Old Hube to defeat President Tower in 1972 Wink. An interesting update nonetheless.

However, I do have some questions regarding your latest update and they are as follows:

1. With no violence taking place at the 1968 Democratic National Convention in Chicago, I assume that the McGovern-Fraser Commission never occurs? thus, the Democratic parties system of electing her presidential candidate remains the same?

2. Why does Senator George McGovern endorse Senator Hubert Humphrey for the Presidency of the United States in 1972? Both men absolutely despised each other, thus I find such an endorsement highly implausible. Unless, of course, there was some secret negotiation between the two men, as seen betweeen Harriman and Stevenson in my TL.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #74 on: January 23, 2009, 08:32:36 PM »

1.  Basically, yes.  The primaries are starting to play a bigger role, but they are still not the only way of choosing delegates.

2.  Actually, Senator McGovern and Senator Humphrey got along very well before Vietnam became an issue; HHH got McGovern a job with the Peace Corps, and campaigned for him in 1962.  In this TL, then, the two men are still close friends.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 22  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies