JFK Lives
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 08:13:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  JFK Lives
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 22
Author Topic: JFK Lives  (Read 160718 times)
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: April 22, 2009, 04:52:44 PM »

Sorry for the lack of an update; I've got a lot of stuff going on now, and I probably won't be able to write an update until at least next week.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #151 on: May 07, 2009, 04:23:24 PM »

I'm really sorry for the lack of an update; expect at least 1 on Saturday.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #152 on: May 09, 2009, 08:48:13 PM »

In his State of the Union Address on January 14, 1979, President Hearnes reflects on the weakening economy.  “Although our economy is still strong, we must be wary, and always be ready, for hard times down the line.”  The President’s gloomy predictions do little to help the economy.

Just five days after the President’s speech, economic issues are shunted to the side by a much bigger crisis.  On January 19, Shah Mohammad Reza Pahlavi of Iran leaves the country following strikes and demonstrations that had paralyzed the country since August, 1978.  On January 30, Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini returns to Tehran, being greeted by nearly one million followers.

Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini on his return to Tehran

Over the next few weeks, the Ayatollah cements his power.  He quickly makes Mehdi Bazargan his Prime Minister on February 4.  Within a short amount of time, soldiers began to defect to Khomeini's side.  On February 9 at about 10 P.M., a fight broke out between loyal Immortal Guards and pro-Khomeini rebel Homafaran of Iran Air Force. Khomeini responded by declaring jihad on loyal soldiers who did not surrender immediately.

The final collapse of the provisional non-Islamist government came at 2 p.m. on February 11 when the Supreme Military Council declared itself “neutral in the current political disputes… in order to prevent further disorder and bloodshed.”

Throughout the conflict, the United States had remained neutral.  On July 9, though, the neutrality is broken when the US allows the Shah into the country for cancer treatment.  The Shah's admission to the US intensifies Iranian revolutionaries’ anti-Americanism and spawned rumors of another U.S.-backed coup and re-installation of the Shah.

After several days of protests, though, it appeared that the US wouldn’t suffer for admitting the Shah.  On July 18, though, a group of Islamist students takes over the American embassy and take 66 diplomats hostage.

The Muslim Student Followers of the Imam's Line, the group responsible for the kidnapping, demanded that the Shah return to Iran for trial and execution, and that the US government apologize for its interference in the internal affairs of Iran and for the overthrow of Prime Minister Mossadeq.  The US refuses, and instead, President Hearnes issues Executive Order 12170, freezing all Iranian assets held in US.

For the next several months, the President attempts to try and secure the release of the hostages.  On October 9, 13 women and 1 African-American are released, but no others.

On December 18, the military launches Operation Eagle Claw to try and rescue the hostages.  The attempt fails miserably, resulting in the death of 8 soldiers, the wounding of another 4, and the deaths of 2 Iranian civilians.

On December 20, in a televised speech, a tearful President claims full responsibility, and apologizes to the families of the hostages.  The speech has no effect, though, and the President’s approval rating falls to 26%, with 72% disapproving.  That same day, a poll shows the President trailing the generic Republican 59-29 in a reelection match-up.

In his State of the Union Address on January 10, 1980, the President announces that, despite the poor poll numbers, he will indeed seek reelection.  He then leaves to campaign, facing a tough bid not only to win reelection, but also to win his own Party’s nomination.
Historico
United States

« Reply #153 on: May 10, 2009, 11:57:17 AM »

A solid yet sobering installment Ben...I do have a question, who is Hearnes' Secretary of State ITTL? Because it was during this time in OTL, that the Neoconservatives(Scoop Jackson Democrats) left the party under Carter's Idealist foriegn policy views. Would your say that the Neoconservatives are still with the party or might they still bolt, under the plumenting Hearnes' Administration?

Also, it seems that Hearnes may face a primary challenge by any number of Candidates...I doubt anyone from the South(Although im not sure about Jimmy and Askew) will probably challenge him. Scoop may try to make a final run at the thing and either Bobby or Teddy from the left. It will be very interesting.

Things on the GOP side will be interesting as well...Looking at it from a purly Political standpoint after such a massive defeat in the 1976 Election, I don't think a Conservative in the mold of former President Tower or  Governor Reagan can win the 1980 Election. And for the time being the nation is still a Center to Left country. Any number of moderates could throw their hat in the wing; Edward Brooke(Who I am especially pulling for), Howard Baker, George H.W. Bush, David Rockefeller and even former Vice President Nixon(Which would be very interesting, especially if we can get Iran-Contra to a Watergate level of Scandal) would all be very strong ticket my guess...Brooke/Baker(Or the otherway around) or even Nixon/Rockefeller would be some hella strong tickets.

Can't wait to see how the election turns out...Keep it comming
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #154 on: May 10, 2009, 12:38:48 PM »

The Democratic Nomination

Because he had served less than half of President Humphrey’s term, President Hearnes was eligible to seek reelection.  It was expected, through 1978, that he would be unopposed.  By the middle of 1979, though, with the Iranian crisis in full swing, rumors emerged that President Hearnes would face a challenger.

On August 5, word leaks out that Senator George McGovern would challenge Hearnes.  McGovern doesn’t issue a statement confirming or denying.  On November 8, though, in a live press conference, McGovern announces that he will forgo reelection to the Senate and challenge President Hearnes.  “President Hearnes has not only failed the American people, he has failed the Democratic Party.  The time has come for him to go.”

As the campaign goes on through the end of 1979 and into 1980, it becomes apparent that McGovern has a large lead.  However, when the Iowa Caucus finally rolls around, Hearnes scores a major upset, winning the Caucus by 3,000 votes.  Hearnes goes on to win New Hampshire and Maine, before finally being stopped in the Minnesota primary.

In March, primaries are held in Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana, Massachusetts, and Texas.  Hearnes sweeps those primaries, building up his lead.  McGovern finally gets a string of wins Alaska, Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, New Mexico, and South Dakota.

Those are, however, McGovern’s  only victories, and Hearnes is able to clinch the nomination at the Convention; McGovern gives a rousing speech, but refuses to acknowledge Hearnes.

The Republican Nomination

As early as February, 1979, candidates begin preparing to run for the Republican nomination.  On April 16, 1979, Senator Mark Hatfield of Oregon becomes the first candidate to declare for the nomination.  On June 28, Senator Charles Percy of Illinois enters the race.  On July 15, angry at the lack of a conservative candidate, Senator Jesse Helms of North Carolina enters the race, becoming the final of three candidates.

During the campaign, Helms acts as an outsider, blasting both Hatfield and Percy for being too liberal.  As the primaries begin, Helms draws all of his support from religious conservatives, dooming him to failure in the early contests in Iowa (Hatfield), New Hampshire (Hatfield), and Michigan (Percy).

Finally, Helms picks up a victory in the Oklahoma Primary, and the three men begin trading primaries.  Following Oklahoma, Percy wins his home state of Illinois, Hatfield wins Minnesota and Maine, and Helms wins Georgia, Louisiana, and Texas.

By early May, the race has become a primarily a two person battle between Hatfield and Helms, with Percy winning an occasional race.  Hatfield sweeps the New England Primaries, and Helms does the same in the South.  However, a group of Midwestern Primaries in Wisconsin, Ohio, Kansas, and South Dakota break for Percy, giving him a sizable number of delegates.

On June 3, the final primaries are held in Alaska (Hatfield), Arizona (Percy), California (Hatfield), Colorado (Percy), Delaware (Percy), District of Columbia (Hatfield), Hawaii (Hatfield), Idaho (Hatfield), Indiana (Helms), Montana (Helms), Nebraska (Helms), New Mexico (Hatfield), Nevada (Hatfield), North Dakota (Hatfield), Oregon (Hatfield), Utah (Helms), Washington (Hatfield), and Wyoming (Percy).

Final results of 1980 Republican Primaries

As the GOP heads to the Convention, no candidate holds a majority.  Hatfield holds 828 delegates, Helms has 607, and Percy has 537, with 987 needed for victory.  On the first ballot, those are the results, but on the second, a major shift occurs.  Percy urges his delegates to support Hatfield, and Hatfield is able to win the nomination.  He then selects George HW Bush, a Percy supporter and moderate, as his running mate.

The lack of a conservative on the ticket infuriates Helms, who leads, along with nearly 100 delegates, a walkout at the Convention.  Several days later, he announces that he will run on the American Independent Party ticket, with Governor Otis R. Bowen of Indiana as his running mate.

The General Election

From the outset of the campaign, President Hearnes is on the defensive.  Both Hatfield and Helms attack the President, citing either the poor economy, the Iranian crisis, or any other number of failings over the last 4 years.

In the only debate, on October 8, Helms excoriates both candidates, calling them “Russian stooges.”  When Hatfield suggests that the US should talk with the USSR, given the ill health of Soviet leader Leonid Brezhnev.  The proposal is attacked by both Hearnes and Helms.

As election day nears, Hearnes makes one final effort, not to reach 270, but to deny Hatfield a majority, and try and win the House.  The effort fails, and Hatfield wins in a landslide.  Three days after the election, it is announced by the Ayatollah that the prisoners will be released on January 21, 1981.

Mark Hatfield/George HW Bush: 44.2% PV, 369 EV
Warren Hearnes/Frank Church: 38.5% PV, 104 EV
Jesse Helms/Otis Bowen: 17.3% PV, 65 EV

The Congressional Elections

At the Congressional level, an historic defeat occurs for the Democratic Party, as they suffer unprecedented losses in both Houses, across the nation.

Senate Results

Democrats: 56 (-12)
Republicans: 44 (+12)

House Results
Democrats: 230 (-44)
Republicans: 205 (+44)
LastMcGovernite
Ringorules
United States

« Reply #155 on: May 10, 2009, 01:03:23 PM »

Wow- go President Hatfield- nice to see my favorite Republican getting some love here.

Great job as always, Mr. Deeds.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #156 on: May 10, 2009, 02:33:07 PM »

Thank you.
Historico
United States

« Reply #157 on: May 10, 2009, 03:38:30 PM »

President Hatfield...Can't say I saw that one coming lol, IIRC, George H.W. Bush is Senator from Texas, as he was appointed to fill Tower's seat when he vacated it for the Presidency Correct? It's sad to see President Hearnes go down in such a massive defeat, hopefully he'll be able to revitilize his legacy, in the Post-Presidency much like OTL Carter did.

Looking at Hatfield's record, we should see a pretty bipartisan cabinent...The more interesting idea however, what will happen to the Social Conservatives ITTL, will they stay as a major third party influence or gravitate back toward either the Democrats or Republicans. In the GOP is can forsee the party taking a more libertarian stance toward economic and social policy, as Hatfield was a big proponent for Gay and Abortion rights. And assuming that Hatfield's sway over white working-class voters in the Rust Belt is not as artificial as I think it is(They voted against Hearnes not for Hatfield).

The Democrats however, can take either two ways...be the Mcgovern Party of 1972 or the Carter Party of 1976. What I mean by that is that the New Deal Coalition died pretty much with HHH, and theres going to be a split over what role to take the party esp if the GOP takes the Industrial states. Either the Upper-Class Liberalism of Mcgovern and the New Left, which doesn't work, or the Born-Again evangelical Centrists of Jimmy Carter and the New South which does.

Seeing how this all plays out without Nixon to help craft and shape effectively both parties for the last 40 years is really cool. Btw what are the other Kennedy's up to? and as always Keep It Comming
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #158 on: May 10, 2009, 03:53:08 PM »

President Hatfield...Can't say I saw that one coming lol, IIRC, George H.W. Bush is Senator from Texas, as he was appointed to fill Tower's seat when he vacated it for the Presidency Correct?

No, actually.  Bush served as US Ambassador to the UN from 1969-1971, and Governor of Texas from 1971-1979.

Btw what are the other Kennedy's up to?

Ted is the senior Senator from Massachusetts, and Bobby and Jack both teach at Harvard.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #159 on: May 11, 2009, 08:28:03 PM »

Hatfield?!? Wow nice one, i wasn't even thinking of him. I have been reading, just not posting.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #160 on: May 11, 2009, 08:33:56 PM »

I have been reading, just not posting.

Please keep posting.  It's the only way I know people are still reading this Smiley
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #161 on: May 26, 2009, 11:09:37 PM »

Update tomorrow.  I promise.
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.10, S: -3.90

« Reply #162 on: May 27, 2009, 05:36:06 PM »

I would think Bobby would do something politically rated.
Historico
United States

« Reply #163 on: May 27, 2009, 07:03:48 PM »

I would think Bobby would do something politically rated.

Or atleast stay within the legal community...He would still be fairly young, and I honestly think he would make one hell of a SCOTUS.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #164 on: May 30, 2009, 11:26:20 AM »

I'm having a severe case of writer's block, so in order to at least give you guys something, here is the county results map from the 1980 General Election:
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #165 on: May 30, 2009, 11:30:11 AM »

ROFLMAO at the Republicans winning Elliot County, KY. Epic fail. Or the Dems losing the solid Democratic mining counties in WV.

lololol
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #166 on: May 30, 2009, 11:32:26 AM »

ROFLMAO at the Republicans winning Elliot County, KY. Epic fail. Or the Dems losing the solid Democratic mining counties in WV.

lololol

I gave the GOP Elliot?  Crap.  Assume they won that; I had some issues matching up the counties.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #167 on: May 30, 2009, 11:36:31 AM »

lololol

Ah, good old constructive criticism at its best.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #168 on: May 30, 2009, 03:54:11 PM »

The First Term of Mark Hatfield

“My fellow Americans, the days ahead are long, and we face many challenges.  Together, though, we can overcome those challenges, and enter into a new era of prosperity.”  In order to bring about this new prosperity, Hatfield brings the best of the best into his Cabinet, regardless of political ideology.

Secretary of State: Charles Percy (R-IL)
Secretary of Treasury: William E. Simon (R-NJ)
Secretary of Defense: Caspar Weinberger (R-CA)
Attorney General: Mark White (D-TX)
Secretary of the Interior: John V. Evans (D-ID)
Secretary of Agriculture: Robert D. Ray (R-IA)
Secretary of Commerce: Malcolm Baldrige, Jr. (R-NE)
Secretary of Labor: Elizabeth Dole (R-KS)
Secretary of Health and Human Services: Richard Schweiker (R-PA)
Secretary of Housing and Urban Development: Kenneth A. Gibson (D-NJ)
Secretary of Transportation: John Lindsay (R-NY)

Within days of taking office, Hatfield announces that he is sending Secretary of State Percy to Tehran, to try and convince the Ayatollah to order the release of the hostages.  However, on January 24, the day before Percy leaves for Tehran, all the hostages are released by the Iranians.  An explanation is never given by Tehran as to why the hostages were released, although the question is never asked, either.

On February 1, President Hatfield, Vice President Bush, Secretaries Percy, Weinberger, and Schweiker, along with numerous members of Congress, greet the hostages in Washington, DC, upon their return.

On March 2, the Economic Recovery Act of 1981 is presented to Congress.  The ERA would provide temporary tax relief to anyone who had been unemployed for more than four months, would create tax incentives for companies to hire more employees, and other such incentives.  It is quickly passed by Congress, and is signed by the President on March 25.

On April 4, President Hatfield is informed that Justice Potter Stewart has decided to retire from the Supreme Court.  Hatfield nominates Samuel James Ervin III, son of a former Senator, to replace Stewart.  He is confirmed quickly, without controversy.

On April 18, President Hatfield begins his first major international tour as President.  He begins in England, where he meets with Prime Minister Thatcher.  In London, he gives a speech criticizing human rights violations being committed by the Soviet Union.  From London, he travels throughout Europe, ending on May 2, in Berlin.  Standing at the Berlin Wall, President Hatfield beseeches Soviet Premier Leonid Brezhnev to tear down the Berlin Wall, and allow for more freedom in the USSR.

Upon his return to the United States, President Hatfield proposes a major military buildup to Congress.  The buildup, he claims, would cut unemployment in half by 1984, and have it at below 3% by 1988.  The buildup draws controversy, though, from liberals like Edward Kennedy.  The liberals make the claim that the buildup will send the country further into debt, and is unnecessary.  When the Senate recesses in July, the buildup is still being debated in the Senate.

When the Senate reconvenes in September, the President offers a compromise.  In exchange for the passage of his buildup, Hatfield will hold off on his proposed general tax cuts until FY 1983.  The compromise is accepted by all sides, and the Senate passes Hatfield’s buildup on September 29, 1981, 87-13.  The House follows on October 14, 432-2.

In his State of the Union Address on January 17, 1982, President Hatfield announces that unemployment has fallen to its lowest levels since 1978, and that his Economic Recovery Plan seems to be working.  He also says that, at current rates, the country will have a balanced budget by FY 1988.

On February 18, President Hatfield travels to Israel to meet with Prime Minister Menachem Begin.  While there, he attempts to convince Begin to reopen negotiations with Egyptian President Anwar El Sadat.  The talks that had started under Hearnes had broken down following the Iranian Revolution, and Hatfield wanted to restart the talks.  Begin, however, is reluctant, especially after the failure to achieve anything under Hearnes cost his Likud Party dearly in the 1981 elections.  He promises, though, to consider Hatfield’s offer.

Following his visit to Israel, Hatfield decides to make an impromptu visit to Europe, where he meets in London with Prime Minister Thatcher.  Thatcher, having just recently proposed a major arms buildup in the UK, commends Hatfield for doing the same.  From there, Hatfield tours Europe, ending in Portugal on May 4.  Throughout Europe, he is inundated with requests for foreign aid.

In a speech to Congress on May 9, Hatfield calls for a major increase in the foreign aid budget.  Thanks to intervention by Senator Jackson, the aid is agreed to, despite setting back the deficit.

Since 1981, there had been war in the Middle East between Saddam Hussein’s Iraq and Iran.  Acting with at least tacit support from the Hearnes Administration, Iraq had attempted to regain lost territory, and make a client state out of Iran.  The attempts failed, and since early 1981, Iraq had been on the defensive.

On June 14, though, Iran, acting with weapons imported from other countries, began to force the Iraqis back from the position they had held for more than a year, and it appeared that Iran may take Baghdad.

On June 19, Hatfield meets with Congressional Leaders to determine a course of action.  Senator Jackson, backed by the Republican Leadership, the Joint Chiefs of Staff and SecDef Weinberger, urges a major military invasion to help Iraq, and possibly overthrow the Iranian regime.  Secretary of State Percy, along with the Democratic Leadership, advises Hatfield to do nothing.

For several weeks, Hatfield wavers.  On July 13, he announces that he will not send American troops, claiming that the US has no reason to do so.  Although the decision is widely criticized by hawks, by early August, the Iraqi Army had repelled the Iranians, and the stalemate had resumed.

The Congressional Elections

With Hatfield having approvals in the high 50’s to low 60’s, the Republicans are able to make more gains in both Houses, and even manage to retake the Senate for the first time since 1954.

Senate Results

Republicans: 51 (+7)
Democrats: 49 (-7)

House Results
Democrats: 221 (-9)
Republicans: 214 (+9)
LastMcGovernite
Ringorules
United States

« Reply #169 on: May 30, 2009, 04:44:12 PM »
« Edited: May 30, 2009, 04:48:26 PM by Ringorules »

lololol

He gets one county wrong, and that's an epic fail?  Dude,...
Historico
United States

« Reply #170 on: May 30, 2009, 06:26:10 PM »

Nice update Ben...I know that Writer's block can be a bitch when your trying to get an update out. So I assume the economic package that Hatfield got throught Congress wasn't full scale Supply-side economics but traditional Fiscal conservatism by slashing taxes etc? Was there an assasination attempt by John Hinckley? And have the conditions changed from what started the 82-83 Recession in OTL or have they just been pushed back? Cuz if things were as bad as they were in OTL Early '80's the might hinder Hatfield's reelection chances.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #171 on: May 30, 2009, 07:40:13 PM »

1.  The Hatfield package was a mix of tax cuts, incentives to businesses, short term welfare, and various other things designed to keep the economy running.
2.  No assassination attempt as of now by Mr. Hinckley.
3.  It's a mix.  The economy is still at risk, but things are looking up.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #172 on: May 30, 2009, 08:18:39 PM »

lololol

He gets one county wrong, and that's an epic fail?  Dude,...

Yes, but Elliot County. Elliot County. Come on now.

Anyways, what's the situation in France? Italy? Chile? Brazil? South Africa? Canada?
Historico
United States

« Reply #173 on: June 09, 2009, 09:04:56 AM »

1.  The Hatfield package was a mix of tax cuts, incentives to businesses, short term welfare, and various other things designed to keep the economy running.
2.  No assassination attempt as of now by Mr. Hinckley.
3.  It's a mix.  The economy is still at risk, but things are looking up.

Hmm...So a quick fix to the economic troubles, but nothing really longterm like High Speed Rail, Public Work's programs or educational funding...Although Progressive, Hatfield is still probably is a "cut the pork" Republican. And a Hinckley assasination could be waiting for the wings..Can't wait for the next installment and as always...Keep it Comming.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #174 on: June 10, 2009, 08:05:45 PM »

wheres Benconstine?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 22  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies