JFK Lives
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 01:47:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  JFK Lives
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 22
Author Topic: JFK Lives  (Read 160759 times)
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: June 27, 2009, 09:03:18 PM »

The county map for 1972 is now in the gallery Smiley
Historico
United States

« Reply #201 on: June 28, 2009, 09:42:29 AM »

Your county maps are pretty impressive Deeds, it shows your expertise in the political field to show each candidates perdicted areas of strength. So when can we expect the next installment featuring Hatfield's Second Term.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #202 on: June 28, 2009, 03:27:00 PM »

I'll have the Hatfield Administration done this week.
Historico
United States

« Reply #203 on: July 05, 2009, 10:24:34 AM »

I'll have the Hatfield Administration done this week.

Cool Beans, I can't wait to see how two reformers such as President Hatfield and General Secretary Gorbachev or going to get along. Keep it comming.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #204 on: July 05, 2009, 12:38:50 PM »

Sorry guys, but I won't have anything done this week.  I'm going to Richmond today, not getting back until Thursday.  Also, my computer is busted, so I don't know how long it will be until I can get an update.  Sorry Sad
Cassius Dio
Mel
Rookie
Netherlands

« Reply #205 on: July 06, 2009, 04:04:21 PM »

Very good story. I've always thought of him as a good presidential candidate..I am looking forward to President Hatfield's second term.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #206 on: July 08, 2009, 06:56:47 PM »

Very good story. I've always thought of him as a good presidential candidate..I am looking forward to President Hatfield's second term.

Thanks Smiley

I get home Friday afternoon, and should have an update that night.

Historico
United States

« Reply #207 on: July 18, 2009, 11:34:16 AM »

Thanks Smiley

I get home Friday afternoon, and should have an update that night.

Hope you made it home from your vaction alright Ben; Writer's Block can be a stickler right lol?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #208 on: July 25, 2009, 09:57:52 PM »

Tomorrow, tomorrow, an update, tomorrow, it's only a day away!  Smiley
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #209 on: July 27, 2009, 09:52:16 AM »

So much for that Sad
Historico
United States

« Reply #210 on: July 27, 2009, 04:44:26 PM »

So much for that Sad

I second that sentiment lol.
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #211 on: July 27, 2009, 04:47:59 PM »

But seriously Deeds, you cannot simply just give us that snappy jingle and forget about the update.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #212 on: July 27, 2009, 10:26:01 PM »

Writer's Block is kicking my ass.  I'l lget an update out tomorrow, I promise.  I have been working on the 1985-1987 installment, and it will be done tomorrow.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #213 on: July 28, 2009, 05:48:52 AM »

Writer's Block is kicking my ass.  I'l lget an update out tomorrow, I promise.  I have been working on the 1985-1987 installment, and it will be done tomorrow.

We hope so
Historico
United States

« Reply #214 on: July 29, 2009, 08:48:05 AM »

Hey atleast you know you have some loyal readers here lol, but yeah like I said you the biggest thing to ease my writer's block is discussing certain aspects that Im having with the timeline with other board members. I find it really helpful...you should definatley try it Ben
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #215 on: July 29, 2009, 10:26:18 PM »

The Second Term of Mark Hatfield

In his Inaugural Address, Hatfield focuses mostly on the future, particularly a future involving the Soviet Union.  “We cannot let our children, or our children’s children, live in a world where the end could come with the push of a button.” 

To this end, Hatfield decides to travel to Moscow to meet with Soviet Premier Leonid Brezhnev, to discuss a series of arms limitation treaties.  When Hatfield arrives on January 26, he is greeted cordially by Brezhnev.  For the next several weeks, talks go on between the American and Soviet delegations, and on February 27, the Strategic Arms Limitation Treaty, or SALT, is announced.  SALT had several provisions.  The Soviets would reduce Tu-22M production to thirty aircraft per year and not to give them an intercontinental range; it banned new missile programs (a new missile defined as one with any key parameter 5% better than in currently deployed missiles), so both sides were forced to limit their new strategic missile types development although US preserved their most essential programs like Trident and cruise missiles.

Upon his return to the united States, Hatfield begins to push the ratification of SALT to the Senate.  He faces intense opposition from a hardcore group, led by Scoop Jackson, in his first real work since his heart attack.   Jackson argues that, rather than limit  the total arms number, the US should increase production, and force the Soviets to try and compete.  “The Soviets know they can’t compete, and that’s why Brezhnev is suddenly willing to negotiate,” Jackson says.  Senator Jesse Helms takes an even tougher line, saying that Hatfield is endangering America’s security by limiting the number of weapons.

Senator Jackson giving a speech opposing the SALT Treaty

In an attempt to place pressure on reluctant Senators, Hatfield takes his case directly to the American people.  In a series of television addresses, Hatfield explains the benefits of the SALT Treaty, and asks the people to write their Senators to support the SALT Treaty.  This appears to succeed, and by the start of April, the Treaty has the support of 64% of Americans.

As the Senate moves into April, the debate becomes even more acrimonious.  Day after day, Senators hurl insults at each other, predicting the apocalypse if the other side wins.  On May 2, Majority Leader Dole announces that the Senate will vote by the end of May.  On May 23, the Senate votes, 67-33, to pass the Treaty.  Three days later, Senator Jackson suffers a second, fatal heart attack.

On June 10, the Congress begins debate on the Immigration Reform Act of 1985.  The Act would make illegal to knowingly hire or recruit illegal immigrants (immigrants who do not possess lawful work authorization), required employers to attest to their employees’ immigration status, and granted amnesty to certain illegal immigrants who entered the United States before January 1, 1981 and had resided there continuously. The Act also granted a path towards legalization to certain agricultural seasonal workers and immigrants who had been continuously and illegally present in the United States since January 1, 1981.

The legislation was strongly supported by the President and the liberal members of Congress, but faced opposition from conservatives.  Jesse Helms, still angry over the SALT passage, decides to filibuster the legislation.  For almost three weeks, he and a group of Republicans talk non-stop, trying to defeat the Bill.  They fail, and on July 15, the Senate votes 64-36 for cloture; on July 23, it votes 57-36 to pass the Bill.

In the House, the Bill faces little opposition, and passes 325-84 on September 16.

On October 22, Iran and Iraq announce an official end to hostilities between the two nations, following almost four stalemated years of conflict.

In early February, the Senate begins debate on the Goldwater-Nichols Act.  The Act would rework the command structure of the United States military, as well as increase the powers of the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.  It was also the most major changes to the United States Department of Defense since it’s establishment in 1947.

The rationale behind the legislation, according to Senator Goldwater, was to end the organizational troubles that had plagued the military since World War II, and had been evident during the Vietnam War.  The legislation was strongly supported by the military, and passed quickly through both houses of Congress, being signed into law on March 4, 1986.

On April 10, 1986, President Hatfield, in a speech to the UN, condemns South Africa’s apartheid program.  He announces that the United States will not trade, or interact at all, with South Africa until it ends its program, including releasing Nelson Mandela from prison.

On May 1, while having dinner with the Japanese Prime Minister, Vice President Bush collapses.  He is hospitalized for several days, with the doctors unable to find a reason for his collapse.  On May 10, he is released, with doctors still unsure of the reason for his collapse.

On June 6, a report breaks that Oliver North, the Deputy Secretary of Defense, had been surreptitiously sending military aid to Iraq during the Iran-Iraq War, in order to prevent Iran from winning.  This was in direct violation of an Executive Order issued by the President in 1981.

Three days after the news is broken, North announces his resignation.  Congress begins an inquiry, with a Committee of 12 Congressman, 6 from each Houses, investigating who knew what about the Affair, to be Chaired by Senator Strom Thurmond (R-SC), with two Vice Chairman, Senator John Stennis (D-MS), and Congressman Robert Michel (R-IL).

For several weeks, the Committee hears testimony, from nearly the entire DoD.  When they recess in August, they begin writing a report, which is published in December, 1986.  The report places no blame on Hatfield, and says that the entire Affair was organized by North and several other minor officials in the DoD.

The Congressional Elections

The Iran Arms Scandal, coupled with overall fatigue, leads to major losses for the GOP in both Houses, as the Democrats regain control of the Senate.

Senate Results

Democrats: 57 (+8)
Republicans: 43 (-8)

House Results
Democrats: 250 (+18)
Republicans: 185 (-18)
Historico
United States

« Reply #216 on: July 29, 2009, 11:18:53 PM »

Im suprised you still have Brezhenv still alive ITTL's 1985-1987, I think Hatfield would have gotten alot more accomplished working with a Reformer like Gorbachev. Things aren't looking to good for the GOP in 1988, especially if Bush's health issues' force him out of the Race early. Maybe a Moderate like Senator Hart and Senator Gore might clinch the nod for the Democrats. Can't wait to see what you come up Ben...and as always Keep it comming.
Historico
United States

« Reply #217 on: July 31, 2009, 08:44:39 AM »

Im suprised you still have Brezhenv still alive ITTL's 1985-1987, I think Hatfield would have gotten alot more accomplished working with a Reformer like Gorbachev. Things aren't looking to good for the GOP in 1988, especially if Bush's health issues' force him out of the Race early. Maybe a Moderate like Senator Hart and Senator Gore might clinch the nod for the Democrats. Can't wait to see what you come up Ben...and as always Keep it comming.

Any answer to why Brezhenev's still alive an kicking ITTL Ben lol?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #218 on: July 31, 2009, 03:24:36 PM »

Brezhnev never invaded Afghanistan in 1979, and had less stress in general.  This prevented the stroke that basically ended his rule.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #219 on: July 31, 2009, 04:37:26 PM »

Brezhnev never invaded Afghanistan in 1979, and had less stress in general.  This prevented the stroke that basically ended his rule.

Looking forward 1988 race Smiley
Senator Robert A. Taft
Mr. Republican
Rookie
United States

« Reply #220 on: August 01, 2009, 01:39:23 PM »

I must say, this is a very interesting timeline.  It appears that the GOP is less of a Southern conservative Party, and more of a Midwestern Party, due ot Reagan's defeat.  I'm eagerly awaiting the next installment.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #221 on: August 01, 2009, 04:49:29 PM »

I must say, this is a very interesting timeline.

Thanks Smiley
Historico
United States

« Reply #222 on: August 03, 2009, 08:56:07 AM »

Hmm 1988 should be a very interesting race especially if Bush doesn't run due to Health Concerns. First on the Democratic Side, Although I'm a hughe Coumo fan, I don't think the party is stupid enough to nominate a Northern Liberal after The Duke's disastorus '84 Campaign. They will probably shift toward the DLC Democrats earlier than IOTL, that mean's folks like Senator Gary Hart of Colorado, former Governor Bruce Babbitt of of Arizona, Governor Chuck Robb of Virginia, and Senator Al Gore of Tennesse would all be strong choices to win the nomination and possibly beat the GOP in the General Election. Senator Dale Bumpers of Arkansas and Senator John Glenn of Ohio would be a good choice as well.

On the Republican side, you'd proably have around the same list of Candidates as IOTL, Dole, Kemp, Laxalt, Du Pont, Rumsfeld. However, I think the GOP would proably look for someone who could trully be their heir to the Hatfield throne...John Chafee would be a good choice, but his age would probably work against him...Al D'Amato of New York, George Deukmajean of California, and Big Jim Thompson of Illinois could work as well. Just throwing some ideas out there, nothing wrong with a litte discussioon now and then right? lol, Keep this TL comming
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #223 on: August 11, 2009, 07:17:44 PM »

We need an update!
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #224 on: August 11, 2009, 07:27:59 PM »

I'm sorry; I totally forgot about this Tongue  An update will be released in the next couple of days.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 22  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies