JFK Lives
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:46:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  JFK Lives
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 22
Author Topic: JFK Lives  (Read 160836 times)
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: September 12, 2009, 03:08:44 PM »

Well, my brain has apparently shut down almost completely, and I have no idea when an update will come.  Sorry Sad

Just know that we all love this timeline and are big fans of it. Grin
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #251 on: September 12, 2009, 08:44:43 PM »

Just know that we all love this timeline and are big fans of it. Grin

And believe me, that's encouraging.
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #252 on: September 16, 2009, 02:43:17 PM »

Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #253 on: September 19, 2009, 08:52:33 PM »

The First Term of Lawton Chiles

“My friends, as we enter the last decade of the twentieth century, I see a bright future for America.  Whatever troubles are ahead, we shall overcome them.  I believe in the American spirit, and I know that nothing is impossible.”  Much like his hopeful Inaugural Address, Chiles’ Cabinet represents a broad cross section of America, in terms of partisan affiliation and ideological views; Democrats and Republicans, liberals and conservatives.

Secretary of State: Dante Fascell (D-FL)
Secretary of Treasury: Lloyd Bentsen (D-TX)
Secretary of Defense: John Chafee (R-RI)
Attorney General: Charles Mathias (R-MD)
Secretary of the Interior: Bruce Babbitt (D-AZ)
Secretary of Agriculture: John W. Carlin (D-KS)
Secretary of Commerce: Al D'Amato (R-NY)
Secretary of Labor: William D. Ford (D-MI)
Secretary of Health and Human Services: Pierre S. du Pont, IV (R-DE)
Secretary of Housing and Urban Development: Meyera E. Oberndorf (D-VA)
Secretary of Transportation: Norman Mineta (D-CA)
Secretary of Veterans’ Affairs: Alan K. Simpson (R-WY)

On January 26, Congress begins debate on the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.  The Legislation, written by Congressman John Dingell of Michigan, would prohibit discrimination based on disabilities, similar to the way the Civil Rights Act of 1964, made discrimination based on race, religion, sex, national origin, and other factors illegal.  The ADA defined a disability as “a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits a major life activity.”

Because of its far reaching nature, strong opposition to the ADA was expected.  However, there is very little opposition in the House, which passes the ADA on April 23, by a vote of 403-19.  In the Senate, the ADA is actively opposed only by Jesse Helms, and on June 5, by a vote of 87-8, the Senate passes the ADA.  On June 7, the President signs it into law.

On June 27, both Chief Justice Bazelon and Justice Brennan announce their joint retirement from the Court.  To replace Bazelon as Chief Justice, Chiles nominates Judge Richard Sheppard Arnold of the 8th Circuit Court of Appeals, widely considered one of the greatest Judges to have served in the American Judiciary.  So great was Arnold’s esteem that a statement, signed by all nine Justices of the Supreme Court, was publically released in which they urged that Arnold be confirmed.  The Senate decides to not even hold hearings for Arnold, and he is confirmed on July 8, by a vote of 100-0.

To replace Brennan, Chiles nominates Judge Ruth Bader Ginsburg of the DC Circuit, making her the first woman to be appointed to the Court.  Ginsburg, despite being very widely respected, faces opposition from conservatives like Jesse Helms.  Despite that, she if confirmed on July 26 by a vote of 87-10.

In August, leading up to the 50th anniversary of the start of World War II, President Chiles begins a tour of Europe, culminating with a speech at the Berlin Wall on September 1, 1989.  In the speech, Chiles discusses the need to stand up to tyranny, and to support, “Spreading the enabler of innovation, democracy.”

In October, Congress begins debate on the Whistleblower Protection Act of 1989.  The Act, written by Congressman John Conyers of Michigan, protected persons who work for the government that report agency misconduct; it also federal agencies from taking a “personnel action with respect to any employee or applicant because of any disclosure of information by the employee or applicant that he or she reasonably believes evidences a violation of a law, rule or regulation; gross mismanagement; gross waste of funds; an abuse of authority; or a substantial and specific danger to public health or safety.”

Much like the ADA, the WPA finds little opposition; it passes the House 364-49 on November 7, and it passes the Senate 71-12 on December 15; it is signed by the President on December 18.

In his State of the Union Address in January 15, 1990, President Chiles confidently says that, “The State of our Union is stronger than ever.”  His statement is not unjustified.  Unemployment sits at just over 7%, and per-person wages have risen dramatically since the end of the Soviet Embargo.

On February 17, in a speech to the UN, Iraqi President Saddam Hussein accuses the US of “trying to make my country to give them dirt cheap oil by pressuring our neighbors to not trade with us, forcing us to lower our prices in order to put food on our people’s tables.”  Chiles denies the accusation, forcefully, in a speech at the UN on February 26.

On March 9, Hussein calls Kuwait “a colony of the United States,” and threatens military action if they don’t, “stop letting the United States dictate the economic policies of the entire Middle East.”

On March 29, Hussein follows through on his threat, and on March 30, Iraq officially invades Kuwait.  Despite warnings, the Kuwait military was not fully prepared; 25% of the Kuwait Air Force was lost during the initial invasion.  Iraqi tanks attacked Dasman Palace, the royal residence. Amir Jaber Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah, on the advice of the United States military, had already fled into the Saudi desert. His younger half brother, Sheikh Fahad Al-Ahmed Al-Jaber Al-Sabah, was shot and killed, after which his body was placed in front of a tank and run over.

Within several weeks of the invasion, members of Congress began demanding military action to force Saddam out of Kuwait.  Senator Joe Lieberman (D-CT), said, “It is shameful that the United States is allowing a common thug to depose the rightful government of Kuwait.”

On April 17th, President Chiles announces that, in order to defend Saudi Arabia, he will send 200,000 troops into Saudi Arabia.  Over the next few weeks, he builds a coalition of 34 countries, to send troops into Kuwait: Argentina, Australia, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Egypt, France, Greece, Italy, Kuwait, Morocco, The Netherlands, New Zealand, Niger, Norway, Oman, Pakistan, Philippines, Portugal, Qatar, South Korea, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Spain, Syria, the United Arab Emirates, the United Kingdom and the United States itself; totaling 956,000 troops, of whom 73% were Americans.  Japan and West Germany, while not sending in troops, contribute large amounts of money.  The Senate, on May 1, votes 67-33 to allow military force; the House follows on May 5, 334-101.  On May 8, 1990, Operation Desert Storm officially begins.

Within a few weeks of the invasion, Iraqi troops were being driven out of Kuwait in large numbers.  By July 1, President Chiles states that “We expect Kuwait to be restored to its rightful government by Bastille Day.”  By July 14, only a handful of Iraqi troops remain.  On July 25, 1990, Saddam officially signs a ceasefire agreement, bringing the Gulf War to an end.  Following the ceasefire, Saddam blasts the USSR, which had stayed out of the affair, as “Leaving us to the mercy of the American dogs.”

In early August, with an Approval Rating of 69%, President Chiles takes a much deserved vacation in Florida, before hitting the campaign trail for Congressional Democrats.

The Congressional Elections

Because of Chiles’ sky high Approval Ratings (they would be 64% on election day), the Democrats make incredible gains in both Houses of Congress; in the Senate, this includes taking the seat of Jesse Helms, by Charlotte Mayor Harvey Gant, by 881 votes.

Senate Results

Democrats: 61 (+4)
Republicans: 39 (-4)

House Results
Democrats: 276 (+23)
Republicans: 158 (-24)
Independents: 1 (+1)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #254 on: September 19, 2009, 09:26:56 PM »

Defending Saudi Arabia?

Disgusting.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #255 on: September 19, 2009, 09:28:24 PM »

Chiles should visit rather a country where the war actually started Tongue

Anyway, great update as alaway, even if I second Xahar thought Wink
Historico
United States

« Reply #256 on: September 20, 2009, 06:46:30 PM »

Wow, it's good to see this bird back up again...the Chiles Presidency been pretty good so far, especially with a early yet successful conclusion to the Gulf War. I could see him bringing on board a major piece of Child Health Care legislation. Im just wondering if his he might die sooner than IOTL, due to the stresses of the Presidency...Can't wait to see the rest of the Chiles 1st term and the '92 election...Keep it comming
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #257 on: September 20, 2009, 07:54:59 PM »

I wondering if President Chiles health would not get worse during his term. I killed him in 1988 Tongue

Poor Joe, always a heartbet away, in OTL and TTL Wink
Historico
United States

« Reply #258 on: September 25, 2009, 04:02:19 PM »

After rereading the last installment, Im actually suprised Lawton doesn't have a really inclusive cabinent Deed's, especially as a progressive New South former Governor. He only has one Female, and one Asian American member of his cabinent. I don't think the African American Democratic Base would be to happy about that especially after the close nature of the Dellums/Chiles shootout in the primaries.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #259 on: September 26, 2009, 01:45:53 PM »

May we see an update on the living former presidents? I'd like to see how they are spending their lives currently.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #260 on: September 28, 2009, 03:07:58 PM »

May we see an update on the living former presidents? I'd like to see how they are spending their lives currently.

President Kennedy had been teaching at Harvard since leaving office; he's currently on leave to work full time for his son's campaign for Governor of Massachusetts.

President Tower has largely stayed out of the limelight, living quietly in Texas.

President Hearnes, like President Truman, has been a major figure at his library, giving talks every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.  He also campaigns for Democratic candidates, and his popularity has seen an increase in the last few years.

President Hatfield, just starting his retirement, has taken the Bill Clinton route of starting various charities, and managing them.

After rereading the last installment, Im actually suprised Lawton doesn't have a really inclusive cabinent Deed's, especially as a progressive New South former Governor. He only has one Female, and one Asian American member of his cabinent. I don't think the African American Democratic Base would be to happy about that especially after the close nature of the Dellums/Chiles shootout in the primaries.

Dellums was offered SecDef, but he turned it down to stay in the House.  Chiles was looking for the best person for each job, while still maintaining a healthy partisan balance, and this is the best he could do.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #261 on: September 28, 2009, 06:26:33 PM »

Thanks!
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #262 on: October 12, 2009, 10:14:33 AM »

Sorry for the lack of an update; school has taken most of my substantive free time.  Hopefully an update will come out this week.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #263 on: October 22, 2009, 06:14:25 PM »

So, I have no idea when another update will come out, but I'm hoping this weekend.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #264 on: October 25, 2009, 11:33:46 PM »

Benjamin

If you can't think of anything to write why not summarise what you were intending to write, provided with complimentary electoral maps! Plenty of other forumites, such as HC have do so and that hasn't hindered the appreciation of their timelines, so I highly suggest you doing so yourself. That's what I was planning on doing but I had no idea what was going to happen after 1958.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #265 on: October 26, 2009, 03:41:20 PM »

I do intend to finish the timeline, and I will hopefully have an update this weekend.  I will not abandon this timeline.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #266 on: October 26, 2009, 03:50:12 PM »

I do intend to finish the timeline, and I will hopefully have an update this weekend.  I will not abandon this timeline.

Yes, good to hear, Ben. Abandoning this TL would be... so Liefish
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #267 on: October 26, 2009, 04:47:49 PM »

Yes, good to hear, Ben. Abandoning this TL would be... so Liefish

Exactly.  I fully intend to finish this beast.
Historico
United States

« Reply #268 on: November 11, 2009, 09:23:21 AM »

Yeah...I know University puts big timelines like my Reagan in '68 TL, and TTL's on Ice for a majority of the semester. Atleast this way its in the back of your mind, with Ideas churning on different ways you could take it....Keep it comming Ben
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #269 on: November 14, 2009, 11:38:45 AM »
« Edited: November 14, 2009, 11:45:28 AM by Henry V »

On January 29, 1991, in his State of the Union Address, President Chiles declares that, “The State of our Union is strong, and getting stronger.”  Following the Address, Hatfield makes the first visit to Moscow by an American President since the Hatfield ultimatum.  During his meeting with Soviet Premier Vitaly Fedorchuk, Chiles pushes for a more open relationship between the two countries, both politically and economically.  Fedorchuk, however, is unresponsive to the offer.

On March 8, the Senate begins debate on the High Performance Computing and Communication Act of 1991.  Also known as the Gore Bill, after Senator Al Gore (D-TN), the legislation would create the National Information Infrastructure and begin funding of the National Research and Education Network (NREN).  Primary opposition to the HPCA came from conservatives who were worried about the high costs attached to the HPCA.  Senator Richard Shelby (D-AL) claimed that, “This would plunge our nation deep into debt, from which we would take a long time to recover.”  Eventually, though, the HPCA passes the Senate, 57-36, on April 25, and the House, 227-184, on May 16.

On June 18, Justices Spottswood William Robinson III and Byron White both announce their retirements.  To replace them, President Chiles nominates Harry T. Edwards of the DC Circuit, and Stephanie Kulp Seymour of the 10th Circuit.  They are both confirmed without controversy.

On July 15, 1991, President Chiles, in a speech to a joint session of Congress, calls for an invasion of Panama to overthrow Panamanian leader, general, and dictator Manuel Noriega.  In the speech, Chiles gives four reasons for invading Panama: protecting Panamanian and American citizens, defending democracy and human rights in Panama from Noriega, fighting a serious drug trafficking problem in Panama, and protecting the integrity of the Torrijos-Hearnes Treaties, which Chiles claimed was being threatened by Noriega.  On July 20, by a vote of 60-36, the Senate grants Chiles the authority; the House follows on July 24, 309-104.

On July 26, the invasion, named “Operation Just Cause”, begins.  28,000 American troops attacked strategic installations such as the civilian Punta Paitilla Airport in Panama City, a PDF garrison and airfield at Rio Hato, where Noriega also maintained a residence. U.S. Navy SEALS destroyed Noriega’s private jet and a Panamanian gunboat.  During this attack, one Navy SEAL and two American soldiers were killed.

By August 2, the only objective remaining for the Americans was the capture of Noriega.  He had taken residence in the Vatican Embassy since July 31, but the Americans, on August 4, managed to force him out.  He surrendered, and was extradited to Miami.  Guillermo Endara, who had attempted to overthrow Noriega, then living in hiding, was sworn in as president by a judge on the night preceding the invasion. The casualties were 20 on the American side, and around 200 Panamanian casualties.

Manuel Noriega following his arrest

In a speech on September 10, 1991, President Chiles, reacting to a report finding that nearly 13% of Americans lives below the poverty line, announced a series of initiatives on education and job creation to lower that number.  Despite reservations, the House passes the Education Opportunity Act of 1991, which would provide monetary scholarships to low income people attempting to go to University, on November 20, 227-204.  The Senate follows on December 12, 53-43. 

On January 15, the House passes the Employment Jumpstart Act of 1992, which provided funds for unemployed people to seek education in the career field of their choice for three years, 220-212.  On February 9, the Senate passes the EJA, 50-42.  Shortly after signing the EJA, President Chiles begins campaigning in earnest for his reelection.
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #270 on: November 14, 2009, 11:41:03 AM »

On January 29, 1991, in his State of the Union Address, President Chiles declares that, “The State of our Union is strong, and getting stronger.”  Following the Address, Hatfield makes the first visit to Moscow by an American President since the Hatfield ultimatum.  During his meeting with Soviet Premier Vitaly Fedorchuk, Chiles pushes for a more open relationship between the two countries, both politically and economically.  Fedorchuk, however, is unresponsive to the offer.

On March 8, the Senate begins debate on the High Performance Computing and Communication Act of 1991.  Also known as the Gore Bill, after Senator Al Gore (D-TN), the legislation would create the National Information Infrastructure and begin funding of the National Research and Education Network (NREN).  Primary opposition to the HPCA came from conservatives who were worried about the high costs attached to the HPCA.  Senator Richard Shelby (D-AL) claimed that, “This would plunge our nation deep into debt, from which we would take a long time to recover.”  Eventually, though, the HPCA passes the Senate, 57-36, on April 25, and the House, 227-184, on May 16.

On June 18, Justices Spottswood William Robinson III and Byron White both announce their retirements.  To replace them, President Chiles nominates Harry T. Edwards of the DC Circuit, and Stephanie Kulp Seymour of the 10th Circuit.  They are both confirmed without controversy.

On July 15, 1991, President Chiles, in a speech to a joint session of Congress, calls for an invasion of Panama to overthrow Panamanian leader, general, and dictator Manuel Noriega.  In the speech, Chiles gives four reasons for invading Panama: protecting Panamanian and American citizens, defending democracy and human rights in Panama from Noriega, fighting a serious drug trafficking problem in Panama, and protecting the integrity of the Torrijos-Hearnes Treaties, which Chiles claimed was being threatened by Noriega.  On July 20, by a vote of 60-36, the Senate grants Chiles the authority; the House follows on July 24, 309-104.

On July 26, the invasion, named “Operation Just Cause”, begins.  28,000 American troops attacked strategic installations such as the civilian Punta Paitilla Airport in Panama City, a PDF garrison and airfield at Rio Hato, where Noriega also maintained a residence. U.S. Navy SEALS destroyed Noriega’s private jet and a Panamanian gunboat.  During this attack, one Navy SEAL and two American soldiers were killed.

By August 2, the only objective remaining for the Americans was the capture of Noriega.  He had taken residence in the Vatican Embassy since July 31, but the Americans, on August 4, managed to force him out.  He surrendered, and was extradited to Miami.  Guillermo Endara, who had attempted to overthrow Noriega, then living in hiding, was sworn in as president by a judge on the night preceding the invasion. The casualties were 20 on the American side, and around 200 Panamanian casualties.

Manuel Noriega following his arrest

In a speech on September 10, 1991, President Chiles, reacting to a report finding that nearly 13% of Americans lives below the poverty line, announced a series of initiatives on education and job creation to lower that number.  Despite reservations, the House passes the Education Opportunity Act of 1991, which would provide monetary scholarships to low income people attempting to go to University, on November 20, 227-204.  The Senate follows on December 12, 53-43. 

On January 15, the House passes the Employment Jumpstart Act of 1992, which provided funds for unemployed people to seek education in the career field of their choice for three years, 220-212.  On February 9, the Senate passes the EJA, 50-42.  Shortly after signing the EJA, President Hatfield begins campaigning in earnest for his reelection.

You mean President Chiles right? Wink
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #271 on: November 14, 2009, 11:45:40 AM »

Yes Tongue
Historico
United States

« Reply #272 on: November 14, 2009, 12:09:29 PM »

By the Gods...After two months, it has returned to us...Anyways, what a pretty successfull conclusion to Chiles' first term in office. With two Millitary victories, Educational Reform and Minority Judges nominated; Lawton's approval ratings should still remain in the 60's or 70's. The GOP will probably run a pretty strong Fiscal Conservative attacking the high spending policies of the Chiles adminstration. Will Ross Perot still run an anti-deficit independent campaign ITTL ALT 1992 General Election? Maybe Congressman Barry Goldwater Jr. of California, former Governor Pete du Pont of Deleaware, or Governor Carroll Campbell of South Carolina? I don't know why I bother trying to guest your lists, as you always seem to be one step ahead over everyone when it comes to your elections...Keep it Comming
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #273 on: November 14, 2009, 01:43:59 PM »

By the Gods...After two months, it has returned to us...Anyways, what a pretty successfull conclusion to Chiles' first term in office. With two Millitary victories, Educational Reform and Minority Judges nominated; Lawton's approval ratings should still remain in the 60's or 70's. The GOP will probably run a pretty strong Fiscal Conservative attacking the high spending policies of the Chiles adminstration. Will Ross Perot still run an anti-deficit independent campaign ITTL ALT 1992 General Election? Maybe Congressman Barry Goldwater Jr. of California, former Governor Pete du Pont of Deleaware, or Governor Carroll Campbell of South Carolina? I don't know why I bother trying to guest your lists, as you always seem to be one step ahead over everyone when it comes to your elections...Keep it Comming

You have guessed one person who will be on a ticket in 1992.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #274 on: November 14, 2009, 06:20:06 PM »

Hooray, it has returned!

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 22  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies