JFK Lives
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 02:35:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  JFK Lives
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 22
Author Topic: JFK Lives  (Read 160778 times)
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: November 14, 2009, 11:45:40 AM »

Yes Tongue
Historico
United States

« Reply #276 on: November 14, 2009, 12:09:29 PM »

By the Gods...After two months, it has returned to us...Anyways, what a pretty successfull conclusion to Chiles' first term in office. With two Millitary victories, Educational Reform and Minority Judges nominated; Lawton's approval ratings should still remain in the 60's or 70's. The GOP will probably run a pretty strong Fiscal Conservative attacking the high spending policies of the Chiles adminstration. Will Ross Perot still run an anti-deficit independent campaign ITTL ALT 1992 General Election? Maybe Congressman Barry Goldwater Jr. of California, former Governor Pete du Pont of Deleaware, or Governor Carroll Campbell of South Carolina? I don't know why I bother trying to guest your lists, as you always seem to be one step ahead over everyone when it comes to your elections...Keep it Comming
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #277 on: November 14, 2009, 01:43:59 PM »

By the Gods...After two months, it has returned to us...Anyways, what a pretty successfull conclusion to Chiles' first term in office. With two Millitary victories, Educational Reform and Minority Judges nominated; Lawton's approval ratings should still remain in the 60's or 70's. The GOP will probably run a pretty strong Fiscal Conservative attacking the high spending policies of the Chiles adminstration. Will Ross Perot still run an anti-deficit independent campaign ITTL ALT 1992 General Election? Maybe Congressman Barry Goldwater Jr. of California, former Governor Pete du Pont of Deleaware, or Governor Carroll Campbell of South Carolina? I don't know why I bother trying to guest your lists, as you always seem to be one step ahead over everyone when it comes to your elections...Keep it Comming

You have guessed one person who will be on a ticket in 1992.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #278 on: November 14, 2009, 06:20:06 PM »

Hooray, it has returned!

Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #279 on: November 15, 2009, 01:10:22 PM »

The Democratic Nomination

With his approval ratings hovering in the high 50’s for all of 1991 and heading into 1992, President Chiles is virtually unchallenged in his attempt to be re-nominated.  Several minor candidates emerge, but none pose any significant challenge.

At the Convention in Atlanta, President Chiles and Vice President Biden are re-nominated unanimously.  The Keynote Speaker is the 32 year old Governor of Massachusetts, John F. Kennedy Jr.  Kennedy’s speech, praising the Chiles Administration, is very well received by the public, and Chiles heads into the General Election leading in the polls.

The Republican Nomination

President Chiles’ high approval ratings manage to scare away many top tier contenders for the GOP nomination.  On March 9, 1991, Congressman Hal Rogers of Kentucky becomes the first candidate to declare for the nomination.  On June 23, Governor John Ashcroft of Missouri enters the race.  July 4 sees Governor Carroll Campbell of South Carolina declare for the nomination.  On August 5, Senator Orrin Hatch of Utah enters the race, and on August 27, Dick Thornburgh decides to make a second go at winning the nomination.

Entering the primaries, Thornburgh has all of the momentum, coming off his strong showing in 1988.  Thornburgh, however, if upset by Campbell, who wins 34% of the vote; Thornburgh comes in second, with 30%, Ashcroft gets 18%, Hatch gets 16%, and Rogers manages 2%.  Thornburgh follows with a victory in New Hampshire, taking 36% of the vote.

Following Iowa and New Hampshire, the candidates compete in California, which is won by Thornburgh.  After California, they head to Georgia, which goes to Campbell.  Following Georgia, they prepare for primaries in Alabama (Campbell), Alaska (Hatch), Arkansas (Campbell), Delaware (Thornburgh), Illinois (Thornburgh), Louisiana (Campbell), New York (Campbell), South Carolina (Campbell), and Wyoming (Thornburgh).  Following these primaries, Rogers drops out and endorses Campbell.

One week after the first Super Tuesday, the candidates compete in Connecticut (Thornburgh), Idaho (Hatch), Indiana (Ashcroft), Ohio (Thornburgh), and West Virginia (Campbell).  Following the string of primaries, the candidates all move to Florida, where a heated contest is expected.  Campbell, however, dominates the competition, taking over 50% of the vote.  The next week, primaries are held in Missouri (Ashcroft), and Tennessee (Campbell).  With few delegates, and no money, Hatch drops out, and endorses Thornburgh.

Following those primaries, the second Super Tuesday comes along, with contests in Arizona (Thornburgh), Colorado (Thornburgh), Kentucky (Campbell), Maryland (Campbell), Michigan (Campbell), and Texas (Campbell).  With just two primary victories, and no cash, Ashcroft drops out, and endorses Campbell.

With just two candidates remaining, each contest becomes extremely important.  The primary in New Jersey was critical, and Campbell was able to stun the pundits by winning a strong victory, gaining 53% of the vote.  The nomination was expected to come down to Mini Tuesday, a set of 6 primaries in Kansas (Campbell), Massachusetts (Thornburgh), North Carolina (Campbell), Oklahoma (Campbell), Virginia (Campbell), and Wisconsin (Campbell).  By the end of the evening, Campbell had claimed enough delegates to clinch the nomination, and Thornburgh backed down and endorsed him.

At the Republican Convention in Miami, Campbell selects Senator Dan Quayle of Indiana as his running mate.  The Keynote Speech, given by Governor Bob Martinez of Florida, blasted the Chiles Administration for running a massive deficit.

The General Election

Entering the election, polls show Chiles ahead of Campbell.  The lead, however, is slim.  A Gallup Poll from September 15 shows Chiles at 40%, Campbell at 37%, and 23% undecided.  After the first debate on September 24, which was thought to be a draw, Chiles leads 44-42-14

Throughout the campaign, Campbell attacks Chiles on the economy.  Known for balancing the South Carolina budget, Campbell blasts the “irresponsible fiscal policies of Lawton Chiles” in speech after speech.  Economic conditions, too, begin to hit Chiles.  On October 2, a report from the Department of Labor shows unemployment to be at nearly 7%, the highest since 1990.  Campbell claims that the spending policies of the Chiles Administration are responsible for the job loss, and after Chiles fails to defend himself during the October 20 debate, polls show Campbell ahead 47-45-8.

The last poll before the election, taken on November 2, shows Campbell and Chiles tied at 46%, with 8% still undecided.  On election night, the voters split nearly evenly, but Campbell pulls out an extremely narrow victory.

Carroll A. Campbell/Dan Quayle: 49.5% PV, 285 EV
Lawton Chiles/Joe Biden: 49.4% PV, 253 EV
Others: 1.1% PV, 0 EV

The Congressional Elections

Once again, the extremely close Presidential election results in minor Congressional changes, with the GOP netting just one Senate seat, and a few House seats.

Senate Results

Democrats: 59 (-2)
Republicans: 41 (+2)

House Results
Democrats: 271 (-5)
Republicans: 163 (+5)
Independent: 1 (-)
Historico
United States

« Reply #280 on: November 15, 2009, 01:58:44 PM »

Awesome update...Can't say I was expecting Chiles with his strong foriegn policy achievments but It was nice to see Governor Campbell finally getting his shot at the White House in which he never did IOTL. I guess "It's the economy stupid." still rang true ITTL, and for Campbell's Presidency...I will be looking at whether he continues to govern as the Nondoctrinate Conservative as he did in South Carolina. I know the next update might be a while, but Ill still be patiently waiting lol.
Historico
United States

« Reply #281 on: November 25, 2009, 01:29:35 PM »

Gotta love being on Vacation, just sat through and read every single line of this freakin awesome Timeline and Im still impressed. Your writing style, is short and too the point, but yet it leaves the reader feeling satisfied enough both on Domestic and Foreign Policy issues as if they read my textbook format tls lol. Can't wait to see what happens in the Campbell Presidency...Keep it commin Ben!!!
Historico
United States

« Reply #282 on: December 11, 2009, 12:34:25 PM »

I expect to see an Installment on the Campbell Presidency in the next few weeks Good Sir...lol jk
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #283 on: December 12, 2009, 06:00:13 PM »

I expect to see an Installment on the Campbell Presidency in the next few weeks Good Sir...lol jk

Definitely in the next few weeks Wink
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #284 on: December 17, 2009, 03:50:03 PM »

An update will come next week.
Cassius Dio
Mel
Rookie
Netherlands

« Reply #285 on: December 20, 2009, 11:53:41 PM »

I'm looking forward to it.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #286 on: December 21, 2009, 08:24:27 PM »

Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #287 on: December 27, 2009, 10:58:43 AM »

What's going on in Russia? Has the USSR collapsed, or is Fedorchuk still General Secretary?

As for the US...perhaps Campbell will try to repeal Humphrey-Care, though with Democratic majorities in both houses that looks like a difficult goal...

So, to sum it all up: when can we expect the next update, Ben?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #288 on: December 27, 2009, 11:46:31 AM »

LIAR!
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #289 on: December 30, 2009, 04:01:27 PM »

Sorry, guys.  I've started the 1993-1995 update, but I dunno when I'll be able to finish it.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #290 on: December 30, 2009, 04:12:06 PM »

While y'all wait, here's the 1992 county results map:
Historico
United States

« Reply #291 on: January 09, 2010, 10:56:03 AM »

Campbell, Campbell, Campbell!!!
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #292 on: January 19, 2010, 08:10:59 AM »

Bump...still waiting on that Campbell Presidency, Ben...
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #293 on: January 19, 2010, 08:14:31 AM »

Ben, can you hear us?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #294 on: January 21, 2010, 10:25:21 PM »

Maybe this weekend.
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #295 on: January 21, 2010, 10:27:46 PM »

You guys would be surprised how hard it is to stick to something. I know I wouldn't have been able to get as far as Ben has.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #296 on: January 22, 2010, 09:09:43 PM »

I'd like to say, also, that I really appreciate the fact that you guys still like this timeline, and want it updated.  It's very encouraging to a writer.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #297 on: January 22, 2010, 09:23:00 PM »

Can I have updates on what these people are doing?

Mark Warner

Mitt Romney

Tony Blair

George W. Bush

Barack Obama
hawkeye59
United States

« Reply #298 on: January 25, 2010, 10:21:27 AM »

AMAZING timeline. Keep up the great work!
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #299 on: January 27, 2010, 07:01:09 PM »

Good TL.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 22  
« previous next »
Jump to: