JFK Lives
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 02:55:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  JFK Lives
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 22
Author Topic: JFK Lives  (Read 160704 times)
Historico
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: February 04, 2010, 10:08:47 AM »

Although Wehaven't seen a real update on TTL in almost 3 months, I am still one of it's loyal fans as I know how hard it is to be a full time Undergrad Student and trying to write a Well-Written TL at the Same time. But once again Ben, if you need any help coming up legistlation, butterflies or any ideas feel free to PM me. The best tl's are written with a collabrative effort in my opinion, so you don't have to stress yourself out trying to think of everything by yourself.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #301 on: February 04, 2010, 01:40:02 PM »

Wow; I didn't realize how long it had been.

I solemnly promise an update this weekend.
hawkeye59
United States

« Reply #302 on: February 07, 2010, 05:36:44 PM »

Is it coming today?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #303 on: February 07, 2010, 05:38:50 PM »

Yes it is; I am working on it right now.
hawkeye59
United States

« Reply #304 on: February 07, 2010, 05:40:31 PM »

Cheesy
Cassius Dio
Mel
Rookie
Netherlands

« Reply #305 on: February 07, 2010, 05:41:49 PM »

Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #306 on: February 07, 2010, 06:03:52 PM »
« Edited: April 03, 2010, 01:00:14 PM by Dean of the Mideast Assembly Ben »

The First Term of Carroll Campbell

“As we enter the last seven years of this century, we cannot be content with our past achievements.  We must look ahead to a century, and new accomplishments.”  The Campbell Cabinet, as it is filled out, is filled with men of good experience, and a wide range of views and partisan affiliation, including the first African-American Secretary of State, Colin Powell.

Secretary of State: Colin Powell (R-VA)
Secretary of Treasury: William V. Roth Jr. (R-DE)
Secretary of Defense: Sam Nunn (D-GA)
Attorney General: Orrin Hatch (R-UT)
Secretary of the Interior: George Mickelson (R-SD)
Secretary of Agriculture: Bob Miller (D-NV)
Secretary of Commerce: Bart Gordon (D-TN)
Secretary of Labor: William Brock (R-TN)
Secretary of Health and Human Services: Louis Sullivan (R-GA)
Secretary of Education: Lamar Alexander (R-TN)
Secretary of Housing and Urban Development: Kathy Whitmire (D-TX)
Secretary of Transportation: Samuel Skinner (R-IL)
Secretary of Veterans’ Affairs: Alan K. Simpson (R-WY)

A few days after taking office, President Campbell presents to Congress his new economic program.  The new program presented a series of tax cuts on all but the wealthiest 5% of Americans.  At the same time, the President unveils a budget full of spending cuts, focused heavily in social services, but also cutting the budgets for NASA and the military.

In Congress, debate begins immediately on the new economic program.  While the tax cuts enjoy strong support among Republicans, the GOP clearly lacks the votes to pass it, needing to pull off 47 more Democrats to pass the cuts.  They focus initially on the conservative Southern Democrats, led by Jamie Whitten (D-MS-01), Chairman of the Appropriations Committee.  While announcing his support in principle, Whitten says that, in order for the cuts to pass, they will have to be reduced.  On February 25, the White House agrees to a reduction of the cuts: taxes will be cut for all but the top 15%, and the top 5% will see a minor increase in taxes.  The spending cuts, also, are reduced, with social programs maintaining close to their old levels of funding.

Some Democrats, though, see even this is as not good enough.  Congressman Pete Stark (D-CA-13) blasts the cuts as a “deal with the devil”, and Congressman Bernie Sanders (I-VT-AL) calls the cuts a “handout to America’s wealthy oligarchs”.  However, the deal had attracted a large number of supporters, and on March 23, the Campbell Cuts pass the House, 350-79.

In the Senate, the Campbell Cuts also face stiff opposition from liberal Democrats.  Senator Claiborne Pell (D-RI) leads the opposition; his Pell Grants are among the programs proposed for cutting.  Senator Ted Kennedy (D-MA) calls it a “senseless gutting of social programs, designed only to hurt the downtrodden in America.”

For more than two months, the Senate goes back and forth on the Campbell Cuts.  The President throws his weight behind the cuts, and a Gallup poll from June 2 shows 58% of Americans support the cuts, while just 35% oppose them.  Finally, on June 17, after a series of deals re-allocated some of the cuts, the Senate votes 52-48 to pass the Campbell Cuts; on June 29, after minimal re-debate, the House accepts the Senate version, 332-100.

On July 2, Justice John Robert Brown announces his retirement from the Court.  President Campbell appoints Judge E. Grady Jolly of the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals to replace him; Jolly is confirmed on August 15, 89-10.

Starting September 4, Campbell begins a tour of Europe.  He starts in London, where he throws a farewell party for Prime Minister Thatcher, who has announced that she will be leaving office following the September 27 elections.  While in London, he takes an opportunity to denounce the Soviet Union.  In Paris, he meets with President François Mitterrand, although the two clash over economic differences.  He ends his tour in West Berlin, where, standing by Chancellor Helmut Kohl, he calls for Soviet Premier Fedorchuk to end the division of Berlin, and reunite Germany.  He then returns to the US after almost a month, and begins campaigning for Republican Gubernatorial candidates in New Jersey and Virginia, with mixed success; Christine Todd Whitman is elected Governor of New Jersey in a landslide, while in Virginia, previously unknown businessman Mark Warner defeats Republican Congressman George Allen by a narrow, 10,000 vote margin.

State by State average approval rating of President Campbell on January 20, 1994.

In his State of the Union on January 26, 1994, President Campbell lauds Congress for passing his economic program, and proudly says that unemployment in down by 1.2% from when he took office.

On March 1, 1994, Justice Samuel James Ervin III dies of a stroke in his office.  To replace him, President Campbell nominates Judge Antonin Scalia of the DC Court of Appeals.  Scalia’s nomination, though, is met with controversy.  His past writings are used against him by liberal Democrats, and the Judiciary Committee narrowly votes 13-12 to advance his nomination to the full Senate, where Senator Kennedy leads the charge against him.  However, Scalia’s qualifications are ultimately enough to pull away some conservative Democrats, and on May 12, by a vote of 52-45, Scalia is confirmed.

On June 2, Campbell meets for the first time with the new British Prime Minister, Norman Lamont.  Lamont, elected to replace Thatcher after the Conservatives won a reduced majority in the September 27, 1993 elections, promises to work closely with the United States on domestic and international issues.

State by State average approval rating of President Campbell on Election Day, 1994.

The Congressional Elections

As election day 1994 comes close, everything is set for a Republican landslide.  President Campbell’s approval ratings stands nationally at 61%, and the GOP has outspent the Democrats in nearly every race.  On election day, the predictions come true; the GOP makes major gains in both Houses.

Senate Results

Democrats: 51 (-8)
Republicans: 49 (+8)

House Results
Democrats: 241 (-30)
Republicans: 193 (+30)
Independents: 1 (-)
Historico
United States

« Reply #307 on: February 07, 2010, 08:59:06 PM »

Ask and Ye shall Recieve...Wow, it is good to see this old bird back up again, and a fairly successfull Campbell Presidency so far; besides the Clintonian Budget issues. Im suprised to see that Terrorisim and Genocide both domestic and foriegn hasn't been a problem for the adminstration(If the WTC attacks and Rwandan Genocide) still hapens ITTL. I can't see Campbell's Undocrtinate Conservativism leading to a Idealist foriegn policy as the Kissingerian Realpolitik still probably being the rule of reason in the GOP.

On the 1996 election, former Vice President "Say it isn't so Joe" Biden will probably have the nomination wrapped up do to his Proto-Baby Boomer youthfulness, Years of Expeirence and appeal amonst White Working Class Ethnics in the Rust Belt(Which Campbell seems to be struggling with). He'll probably go for a history making VP pick as well so maybe former Governor Douglas Wilder of Virgina, Governor Ann Richards of Texas(Does she win ITTL), Senator Dianne Feinstein of California or Congressman Ron Dellums...Keep it comming(I just hope we dont have to wait another three months for another update lol
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #308 on: February 07, 2010, 10:04:18 PM »

As you can see, he was elected Governor of Virginia in an upset in 1993, after a few years as a very successful businessman.

Mitt decided to challenge John F. Kennedy Jr. for the Governorship of Massachusetts in 1994, and was defeated, 57.5-42.5.

He is currently the Leader of the Opposition in the British Parliament.

He's the new Commissioner of the MLB, which had a very successful 1994 season.

A young lawyer in Chicago, there are rumors he will run for Congress in 1996.
Historico
United States

« Reply #309 on: February 08, 2010, 07:52:31 AM »

Ok...Here are my Where are they Now Requests... Bill Clinton, Ann Richards, Douglas Wilder, Hillary Rodham, former President John F. Kennedy, former President John Tower, former President Mark Hatfield, former President Lawton Chiles, Vicente Fox, and Jesse Jackson.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #310 on: February 08, 2010, 10:38:41 AM »

As you can see, he was elected Governor of Virginia in an upset in 1993, after a few years as a very successful businessman.

I knew it Roll Eyes
hawkeye59
United States

« Reply #311 on: February 08, 2010, 10:40:20 AM »

I knew it Roll Eyes
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #312 on: February 08, 2010, 11:55:27 AM »

I knew it Roll Eyes

Yeah Tongue
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #313 on: February 08, 2010, 11:59:20 AM »

I guess I can allow you to hold this vice since your timelines are good anyway Tongue
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #314 on: February 08, 2010, 05:14:01 PM »

YAY! IT'S BACK, AND ABOUT TIME TOO!

The approval rating maps are kind of weird, though.

Btw: since I have nothing to do, can I use your Senate maps to construct your ATL Senates?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #315 on: February 08, 2010, 06:29:14 PM »

Btw: since I have nothing to do, can I use your Senate maps to construct your ATL Senates?

Please do!  That would be amazing Smiley
Historico
United States

« Reply #316 on: February 08, 2010, 09:36:28 PM »

Hey Ben, are you going to cover my Where are they Know list?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #317 on: February 09, 2010, 03:30:58 PM »

Clinton was elected Governor of Arkansas in 1978, defeated in 1980, but reelected in 1982, 1984, 1988, and 1992.  He is term limited, and will not be able to seek reelection in 1996.  There are rumors he will make a run for the Presidency.

Elected Governor of Texas in 1990, she was defeated by Kay Bailey Hutchison, 56.9-43.1, in 1994.

After serving as Governor of Virginia from 1990-1994, he attempted to run for Senate as an Independent against Chuck Robb in 1994, finishing 3rd, with 27%; Republican Oliver North got 35%, and Robb got 38%.

She eventually graduated from Yale Law School, and became a premier lawyer in Chicago, Illinois.  She has never gotten involved with politics.

After leaving office, he taught Government at Harvard until 1990, when he resigned to help his son run for Governor.  Since then, he has been an informal adviser to the Governor.

A Professor of International Relations at the University of Texas until his untimely death from a heart attack in 1983.

He runs a foundation promoting education in inner-city areas.

He is living quietly in Tallahassee, Florida, writing his memoirs.

In 1991, he was gunned down during his race for the governorship of Guanajuato by supporters of Ramón Aguirre Velázquez of the PRI.

He runs a Church in Chicago, Illinois, where he encourages followers to be active in the political arena; he himself eschews politics, though.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #318 on: February 09, 2010, 05:45:11 PM »

Fernando Collor de Mello
Luis Inacio Lula da Silva
Fernando Henrique Cardoso

Where be they now?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #319 on: February 09, 2010, 06:19:19 PM »

He managed to beat the impeachment charges, and served out his term as President, being replaced by Fernando Henrique Cardoso.

After a failed Presidential run in 1989, he was reelected to Congress in 1990, and ran for President in 1994, losing in the first round to Fernando Henrique Cardoso.

He was elected President in the first round in 1994, and currently enjoys great popularity in Brazil.
James Rivington
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.42, S: 3.43

« Reply #320 on: February 09, 2010, 06:26:53 PM »

Good job on keeping this old thing going for so long. I've tried my hand at a couple of TL's at the Alternative History Board, all of whom I lost relative interest for in a matter of weeks.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #321 on: February 09, 2010, 06:29:56 PM »

Good job on keeping this old thing going for so long. I've tried my hand at a couple of TL's at the Alternative History Board, all of whom I lost relative interest for in a matter of weeks.

Thanks; as you can see, I also lose the ability to keep it going for long periods of time, but I always come back to it.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #322 on: February 13, 2010, 09:07:29 AM »
« Edited: February 15, 2010, 08:31:12 AM by Vosem »

Right. Of course, I said I'd have nothing to do, so I've been busy all week. Here are the 1964 & 1966 Senate elections, JFK Lives.

1964 Senate Elections (64-36 Democratic majority):
•   Arizona: Paul Fannin (R) retiring-replaces Barry Goldwater (R)
•   California: George Murphy (R) defeats Pierre Salinger (D)
•   Connecticut: Thomas Dodd (D) reelected
•   Delaware: John Williams (R) reelected
•   Florida: Spessard Holland (D) reelected
•   Hawaii: Hiram Fong (R) reelected
•   Indiana: Vance Hartke (D) reelected
•   Maine: Edmund Muskie (D) reelected
•   Maryland: Joseph Tydings (D) defeats James Glenn Beall (R)
•   Massachusetts: Edward Kennedy (D) reelected
•   Michigan: Philip Hart (D) reelected
•   Minnesota: Eugene McCarthy (D) reelected
•   Mississippi: John Stennis (D) reelected
•   Missouri: Stuart Symington (D) reelected
•   Montana: Mike Mansfield (D) reelected
•   Nebraska: Roman Hruska (R) reelected
•   Nevada: Paul Laxalt (R) defeats Howard Cannon (D)
•   New Jersey: Harrison Williams, Jr. (D) reelected
•   New Mexico: Joseph Montoya (D) defeats Edwin Mechem (R)
•   New York: Kenneth Keating (R) reelected
•   North Dakota: Quentin Burdick (D) reelected
•   Ohio: Stephen Young (D) reelected
•   Oklahoma: Fred Harris (D) retiring-replaces Howard Edmondson (D)
•   Pennsylvania: Hugh Scott (R) reelected
•   Rhode Island: John Pastore (D) reelected
•   Tennessee: Albert Gore, Sr. (D) reelected
•   Tennessee: Ross Bass (D) retiring-replaces Herbert Walters (D)
•   Texas: Ralph Yarborough (D) reelected
•   Utah: Frank Moss (D) reelected
•   Vermont: Winston Prouty (R) reelected
•   Virginia: Harry Byrd (D) reelected
•   Washington: Henry Jackson (D) reelected
•   West Virginia: Robert Byrd (D) reelected
•   Wisconsin: William Proxmire (D) reelected
•   Wyoming: Gale McGee (D) reelected

Afterwards (63-37 Democratic majority):
•   Florida: Leroy Collins (D) retiring-replaces George Smathers (D)
•   Michigan: Robert Griffin (R) retiring-replaces Patrick McNamara (D)
•   South Carolina: Donald Russell (D) retiring-replaces Olin Johnston (D)
•   Virginia: Harry Byrd, Jr. (D) retiring-replaces Harry Byrd (D)

1966 Senate Elections (59-41 Democratic majority):
•   Alabama: John Sparkman (D) reelected
•   Alaska: Bob Bartlett (D) reelected
•   Arkansas: John Little McClellan (D) reelected
•   Colorado: Gordon Allott (R) reelected
•   Delaware: Caleb Boggs (R) reelected
•   Florida: Leroy Collins (D) reelected
•   Georgia: Richard Russell, Jr. (D) reelected
•   Idaho: Leonard Jordan (R) reelected
•   Illinois: Charles Percy (R) defeats Paul Douglas (D)
•   Iowa: Jack Miller (R) reelected
•   Kansas: James Pearson (R) reelected
•   Kentucky: John Sherman Cooper (R) reelected
•   Louisiana: Allen Ellender (D) reelected
•   Maine: Margaret Chase Smith (R) reelected
•   Massachusetts: Edward Brooke (R) retiring-replaces Leverett Saltonstall (R)
•   Michigan: Robert Griffin (R) reelected
•   Minnesota: Hubert Humphrey (D) reelected
•   Mississippi: James Eastland (D) reelected
•   Montana: Tim Babcock (R) defeats Lee Metcalf (D)
•   Nebraska: Carl Curtis (R) reelected
•   New Hampshire: Thomas McIntyre (D) reelected
•   New Jersey: Clifford Case (R) reelected
•   New Mexico: Clinton Presba Anderson (D) reelected
•   North Carolina: Everett Jordan (D) reelected
•   Oklahoma: Fred Harris (D) reelected
•   Oregon: Mark Hatfield (R) retiring-replaces Maurine Brown Neuberger (D)
•   Rhode Island: Claiborne Pell (D) reelected
•   South Carolina: Strom Thurmond (R) reelected
•   South Carolina: Ernest Hollings (D) retiring-replaces Donald Russell (D)
•   South Dakota: Karl Earl Mundt (R) reelected
•   Tennessee: Howard Baker (R) defeats Ross Bass (D)
•   Texas: John Tower (R) reelected
•   Virginia: Harry Byrd, Jr. (D) reelected
•   Virginia: William Spong, Jr. (D) retiring-replaces Absalom Willis Robertson (D)
•   West Virginia: Jennings Randolph (D) reelected
•   Wyoming: Clifford Hansen (R) retiring-replaces Milward Simpson (R)

Afterwards (58-42 Democratic majority):
•   Alaska: Theodore Stevens (R) retiring-replaces Bob Bartlett (D)

I'll have the next couple of ones posted later today, hopefully.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #323 on: February 14, 2010, 11:21:03 AM »

This is very impressive, Vosem; please keep it up Smiley
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #324 on: February 14, 2010, 12:26:09 PM »
« Edited: February 15, 2010, 08:38:58 AM by Vosem »

This is very impressive, Vosem; please keep it up Smiley

Ask and ye shall receive.

1968 Senate Elections (51-49 Democratic majority):
•   Alabama: James Allen (D) retiring-replaces Lister Hill (D)
•   Alaska: Mike Gravel (D) defeats Ernest Gruening (ID)
•   Arizona: Barry Goldwater (R) retiring-replaces Carl Hayden (D)
•   Arkansas: William Fulbright (D) reelected
•   California: Max Rafferty (R) retiring-replaces Thomas Kuchel (R)
•   Colorado: Peter Dominick (R) reelected
•   Connecticut: Abraham Ribicoff (D) reelected
•   Florida: Leroy Collins (D) reelected
•   Georgia: Herman Talmadge (D) reelected
•   Idaho: Frank Church (D) reelected
•   Illinois: Everett Dirksen (R) reelected
•   Indiana: William Ruckelshaus (R) defeats Birch Bayh (D)
•   Iowa: Harold Hughes (D) retiring-replaces Bourke Hickenlooper (R)
•   Kansas: Bob Dole (R) retiring-replaces Frank Carlson (R)
•   Kentucky: Marlow Cook (R) retiring-replaces Thruston Ballard Morton (R)
•   Louisiana: Russell Long (D) reelected
•   Maryland: Charles Mathias, Jr. (R) defeats Daniel Brewster (D)
•   Missouri: Thomas Curtis (R) retiring-replaces Edward Long (D)

•   Nevada: Alan Bible (D) reelected
•   New Hampshire: Norris Cotton (R) reelected
•   New York: Jacob Javits (R) reelected
•   North Carolina: Sam Ervin (D) reelected
•   North Dakota: Milton Young (R) reelected
•   Ohio: William Saxbe (R) retiring-replaces Frank Lausche (D)
•   Oklahoma: Henry Bellmon (R) defeats Mike Monroney (D)
•   Oregon: Bob Packwood (R) defeats Wayne Morse (D)
•   Pennsylvania: Richard Schweiker (R) defeats Joseph Clark (D)

•   South Carolina: Ernest Hollings (D) reelected
•   South Dakota: George McGovern (D) reelected
•   Utah: Wallace Bennett (D) reelected
•   Vermont: George Aiken (R) reelected
•   Washington: Warren Magnuson (D) reelected
•   Wisconsin: Gaylord Nelson (D) reelected

Afterwards (51-49 Democratic majority):
•   Illinois: Ralph Tyler Smith (R) retiring-replaces Everett Dirksen (R)
•   Texas: Paul Eggers (R) retiring-replaces John Tower (R)

1970 Senate Elections (57-43 Democratic majority):
•   Alaska: Ted Stevens (R) reelected
•   Arizona: Paul Fannin (R) reelected
•   California: John Tunney (D) defeats George Murphy (R)
•   Connecticut: Joseph Duffey (D) defeats Thomas Dodd (ID)
•   Delaware: William Roth, Jr. (R) retiring-replaces John Williams (R)
•   Florida: Lawton Chiles (D) retiring-replaces Spessard Holland (D)
•   Hawaii: Cecil Heftel (D) defeats Hiram Fong (R)
•   Illinois: Adlai Stevenson III (D) defeats Ralph Tyler Smith (R)
•   Indiana: Vance Hartke (D) reelected
•   Maine: Edmund Muskie (D) reelected
•   Maryland: Joseph Tydings (D) reelected
•   Massachusetts: Ted Kennedy (D) reelected
•   Michigan: Philip Hart (D) reelected
•   Minnesota: Walter Mondale (D) retiring-replaces Eugene McCarthy (D)
•   Mississippi: John Stennis (D) reelected
•   Missouri: Stuart Symington (D) reelected
•   Montana: Mike Mansfield (D) reelected
•   Nebraska: Frank Morrison (D) defeats Roman Hruska (R)
•   Nevada: Grant Sawyer (D) defeats Paul Laxalt (R)
•   New Jersey: Harrison Williams (D) reelected
•   New Mexico: Joseph Montoya (D) reelected
•   New York: Richard Ottinger (D) defeats Kenneth Keating (R)
•   North Dakota: Quentin Burdick (D) reelected
•   Ohio: Howard Metzenbaum (D) retiring-replaces Stephen Young (D)
•   Pennsylvania: Hugh Scott (R) reelected
•   Rhode Island: John Pastore (D) reelected
•   Tennessee: Al Gore, Sr. (D) reelected
•   Texas: Lloyd Bentsen (D) retiring-replaces Ralph Yarborough (D)
•   Utah: Frank Moss (D) reelected
•   Vermont: Winston Prouty (R) reelected
•   Virginia: Harry Byrd, Jr. (ID) reelected
•   Washington: Henry Jackson (D) reelected
•   West Virginia: Robert Byrd (D) reelected
•   Wisconsin: William Proxmire (D) reelected
•   Wyoming: Gale McGee (D) reelected

Afterwards (57-43 Democratic majority):
•   Georgia: David Gambrell (D) retiring-replaces Richard Russell, Jr. (D)
•   Louisiana: Elaine Edwards (D) retiring-replaces Allen Ellender (D)
•   Vermont: Robert Stafford (R) retiring-replaces Winston Prouty (R)

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 22  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies