JFK Lives
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:17:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  JFK Lives
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22
Author Topic: JFK Lives  (Read 160236 times)
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #400 on: July 19, 2010, 11:56:25 AM »

This is a really good timeline and I was reading some from the beginning, but historically, Kennedy is on the record saying that he would pull troops out of Vietnam in his second term and was against escalation.
Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
hantheguitarman

« Reply #401 on: July 19, 2010, 12:05:23 PM »

Hey Ben, have JFK's extramarital affairs been discovered yet (sorry if you already pointed this out in the TL)?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #402 on: July 19, 2010, 10:52:08 PM »

Hey Ben, have JFK's extramarital affairs been discovered yet (sorry if you already pointed this out in the TL)?

They have not.  The media still loves JFK, and with his son being the (former) Governor of Massachusetts, they have stayed under wraps.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #403 on: August 18, 2010, 10:18:37 PM »

I'm feeling an update tomorrow.
Vazdul (Formerly Chairman of the Communist Party of Ontario)
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #404 on: August 18, 2010, 10:24:46 PM »

Cheesy
hawkeye59
United States

« Reply #405 on: August 23, 2010, 09:03:33 AM »

AHEM. Procrastinator.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #406 on: August 24, 2010, 05:02:22 PM »

When I get back from Paris on Sunday Tongue
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #407 on: August 24, 2010, 08:11:07 PM »

Have fun in the meantime. How is it? I've never been to "latin" Europe. Smiley
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #408 on: August 25, 2010, 01:11:33 AM »

Ok, Ben let's go straight.

If you won't update your TL after return, we're hijacking this thread just as we did to Gporter's 1972 thing.

Angry
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.10, S: -3.90

« Reply #409 on: August 25, 2010, 01:41:14 PM »

If you won't update your TL after return, we're hijacking this thread just as we did to Gporter's 1972 thing.

Angry

Thing is a good way to put that.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #410 on: August 25, 2010, 04:46:18 PM »

I rather preferred Britain, but the Louvre was amazing, and I look forward to returning to it, and going to Versailles.

Angry

Thing is a good way to put that.

It will be updated then, I promise.  At least I'm not Lief Tongue
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #411 on: August 25, 2010, 04:47:15 PM »

It will be updated then, I promise.  At least I'm not Lief Tongue

We hope so.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #412 on: August 25, 2010, 04:51:20 PM »

I rather preferred Britain, but the Louvre was amazing, and I look forward to returning to it, and going to Versailles.

Ah, I've only been to Heathrow. Will you be swinging north to Germany afterward?
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #413 on: August 25, 2010, 07:41:15 PM »
« Edited: August 25, 2010, 07:51:15 PM by Fuzzybigfoot »

I'm having a severe case of writer's block, so in order to at least give you guys something, here is the county results map from the 1980 General Election:

Maricopa would be very unlikely to go to the Dems, it hasn't since '48.  But other than that, it's great!
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #414 on: August 26, 2010, 03:54:35 PM »

Ah, I've only been to Heathrow. Will you be swinging north to Germany afterward?

Nah, I leave for home Sunday morning.

Maricopa would be very unlikely to go to the Dems, it hasn't since '48.  But other than that, it's great!

Keep in mind, this is a different timeline.  Also, remember the Third Party in 1980 - he took a good % in Arizona, so that could have contributed to it.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #415 on: August 26, 2010, 05:40:26 PM »

I just read this whole TL, & I like it. Smiley
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #416 on: August 27, 2010, 10:55:26 AM »

I just read this whole TL, & I like it. Smiley

Excellent Smiley
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #417 on: August 27, 2010, 12:58:14 PM »

And I read it already and I want more asap Angry
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #418 on: August 29, 2010, 10:10:01 PM »

As I finish the 1998-2000 update, enjoy the 1996 county map (also viewable in the Gallery)
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #419 on: August 29, 2010, 10:32:30 PM »

In his State of the Union Address on January 22, 1999, President Campbell declares, “Our economy is as strong as it has ever been.  The Line Item Veto has given me the ability to weed out unnecessary spending, and the WRA has prevented people from taking advantage of our welfare system.”

On February 9, Campbell travels to Moscow to meet with Soviet Premier Yeltsin to discuss a new arms limitation treaty, as well as the continuing issue of human rights abuses in the USSR.  Ultimately, nothing comes of the discussions, fueling conservative anger at Campbell.

On February 20, in a speech to the Knesset, with Israeli Prime Minister Bibi Netanyahu of the Likud Party looking on stoically, Campbell calls for “A permanent two state solution, in which both Israelis and Palestinians can live in peace.”  The speech is criticized by conservatives for being too harsh on Israel, and by liberals for not being harsh enough.

On March 7, Campbell meets with Netanyahu and Yasser Arafat at Camp David for a three day summit which Campbell hopes will result in some sort of preliminary agreement.  Nothing comes of it, though, after Netanyahu storms out following an innocuous remark by Arafat about Israeli killings on Muslims.  Just two months later, Netanyahu loses a bid for reelection to the Labour Party of Ehud Barak.

On April 12, Congress begins debate on the Hyde Resolution.  Introduced by Congressman Henry Hyde (R-IL), the HR would prevent any federal funding from going to abortions.  During an acrimonious debate in the House, Congressman Barney Frank (D-MA) punches Congressman Ron Paul (R-TX) after Paul calls a woman’s right to an abortion “A fallacy allowing fools and liars to perpetrate a Holocaust of epic proportions.”  Frank is reprimanded officially by the House, and the Debate dies down slightly, with the HR finally being passed on May 29, 221-214.

In the Senate, debate over the HR is just as contentious, with a liberal filibuster consuming months, with many arguments being repeated on both sides.  On September 10, cloture fails 58-42, and debate continues; after much arm twisting, cloture passes 60-40 on October 6, and the bill passes 56-41 on October 11.  Campbell signs the bill on October 14, infuriating Democrats.

In his 2000 State of the Union Address, Campbell puts forward an ambitious job creation program, involving public works and spending.  Democrats, though, still angry about the Hyde Resolution, decide to not cooperate with any of Campbell’s proposals, and so, as the 2000 Election begins, none of Campbell’s new legislation goes anywhere, setting up the fall campaign.
Vazdul (Formerly Chairman of the Communist Party of Ontario)
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #420 on: August 30, 2010, 01:01:05 AM »

It's back! Cheesy

This TL is epic! Keep it coming!
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #421 on: August 30, 2010, 03:08:15 PM »

I intend to release the 2000 Election later today.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #422 on: August 30, 2010, 08:21:35 PM »

The Democratic Nomination

The initial popularity of President Campbell, and the disaster that was the Biden 1996 campaign, had scared off several prominent Democrats from seeking the nomination.  On July 2, 1999, Senator Tom Harkin of Iowa declares for the Presidency, running a progressive populist style campaign aimed at winning a bloc of farm states early on.  On August 5, Congressman John Tanner of Tennessee announces, followed by Governor Ben Nelson of Nebraska on August 28, and on September 19, John F. Kennedy Jr., son of the former President and former Governor of Massachusetts, announces that he will run for President.

Due to Harkin’s presence in the race, the candidates all ignore Iowa, with Harkin receiving 73% of the vote, Kennedy getting 14%, Nelson getting 10%, and Tanner getting 3%.  One week later, Kennedy dominates neighboring New Hampshire, receiving 42% of the vote to Harkin’s 29%; Nelson receives 22%, and Tanner takes 7%.

Super Tuesday, sees primaries in California (Kennedy), Connecticut (Kennedy), Delaware (Kennedy), Georgia (Nelson), Missouri (Nelson), Rhode Island (Kennedy), Massachusetts (Kennedy), Maryland (Kennedy), Maine (Kennedy), Ohio (Nelson), New York (Harkin), Washington (Harkin), and Vermont (Kennedy).  Finishing dead last in every contest, Tanner drops out and throws his meager support to Nelson, who, along with Harkin, vows to fight on.

The next week brings contests in Arizona (Nelson), Colorado (Nelson), Utah (Nelson), Tennessee (Nelson), Florida (Kennedy), Mississippi (Kennedy), Oklahoma (Nelson), Louisiana (Nelson), Texas (Kennedy), and Illinois (Harkin).  Harkin then drops out for Kennedy, but Nelson vows to continue, staking everything on Pennsylvania and North Carolina the next week; Kennedy wins both contests, and Nelson drops out and endorses Kennedy.

At the Convention in Los Angeles, former President Kennedy gives a stirring address in favor of his son, with Senator John Breaux of Louisiana, a Nelson supporter, giving the Keynote Address, and then being selected as Kennedy’s Vice President.  Entering the General, polls show Kennedy with a slight lead.

The Republican Nomination

On the Republican side, it is made clear early on that Vice President Quayle is the establishment favorite.  However, two other candidates step forward.  One, Senator Bob Smith of New Hampshire, ran to the right of Quayle, calling him “a communist front man.”  The other, Congressman Lincoln Chafee of Rhode Island, ran to the left, criticizing the GOP’s policies on social issues and welfare.

Early on, Quayle appears to dominate, but is stunned when the voters in Iowa end up supporting, by a narrow margin, Bob Smith, who also wins New Hampshire, with Quayle finishing third.  However, Quayle rebounds by winning Arkansas and Nevada the next week.

On Super Tuesday, Chafee is knocked out, with primaries in Alaska (Smith), Delaware (Quayle), Florida (Quayle), Hawaii (Chafee), Illinois (Quayle), Indiana (Quayle), Texas (Quayle), Virginia (Smith), and Vermont (Chafee).  Chafee refuses to make an endorsement.

Smith decides to funnel all of his resources into the next two weeks’ worth of primaries, in California, Georgia, New York, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia.  All the primaries are won by Quayle, and Smith then drops out.

At the Convention in Salt Lake City, President Campbell touts his achievements, attacks Kennedy’s youth, and calls Quayle “The best man for the job.”  Quayle selects Smith as his running mate, and prepares for a long and hard campaign.

The General Election

From the begging, the campaign is hard fought.  Quayle blasts Kennedy as, “Someone who only got to where he is today because of a famous last name” and, “A man not fit to run a pub, much less the United States of America.  Kennedy, meanwhile, calls Quayle, “A man with no respect for, and no knowledge of, the American Constitution,” and points out his distinguished record as a two term Governor of Massachusetts as an indicator of his ability to hold public office.

Before the first debate, on September 27, polls show Quayle at 45%, Kennedy at 45%, and 10% undecided.  After the debate, which strongly goes to Kennedy, Kennedy leads 49-44-7.  Following the second debate on October 12, a Quayle win, it becomes 48-46-6 for Kennedy.  The campaign continues to descend into mud slinging, and the voters go the polls with Kennedy leading 48-46-6, and indicator of how close the election will actually be.

John F. Kennedy Jr./John Breaux: 50.4% PV, 296 EV
Dan Quayle/Bob Smith: 48.8% PV, 242 EV
Others: 0.8% PV, 0 EV

The Congressional Elections

Despite the close Presidential race, the Democrats make strong gains in Congress, retaking both the House and Senate.

Senate Results

Democrats: 53 (+4)
Republicans: 47 (-4)

House Results
Democrats: 231 (+17)
Republicans: 203 (-17)
Independents: 1 (-)
hawkeye59
United States

« Reply #423 on: August 30, 2010, 08:54:41 PM »

YES!!
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #424 on: August 30, 2010, 09:48:25 PM »

Ah, excellent! A fitting end to the timeline as it draws to a close. Hopefully JFK Jr. turns out to be a fantastic president, and one who can properly guide the nation through the debacle that was the 2000s decade.

Actually, I have a theory... but I'll see if it is proven right before I mention it.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies