JFK Lives
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:44:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  JFK Lives
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22
Author Topic: JFK Lives  (Read 160294 times)
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #500 on: February 29, 2012, 10:25:08 PM »

I'm listening to some Elvis right now; I plan to update this sometime soon.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

« Reply #501 on: February 29, 2012, 11:16:21 PM »

I'm listening to some Elvis right now; I plan to update this sometime soon.

Great!
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #502 on: February 29, 2012, 11:17:12 PM »

Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #503 on: April 23, 2012, 10:23:27 PM »

Uh oh
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #504 on: May 06, 2012, 10:06:16 PM »

It'll totally get done eventually.  I promise.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #505 on: May 07, 2012, 07:46:30 PM »

Ok.  Take your time.  No rush, but if it's not done by July then, well do you remember the scene in Tale of Two Cities when the peasants storm the Bastille?  I wont be Madame Defarge, but I'll be part of the mob Wink
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #506 on: May 28, 2012, 10:19:28 PM »

I'm working on an update, maybe this week Smiley
adrac
adracman42

Political Matrix
E: -9.99, S: -9.99

« Reply #507 on: May 29, 2012, 04:41:28 PM »

I'm working on an update, maybe this week Smiley
That would awesome.
I think I've read through all of this TL like 3 times now.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #508 on: June 14, 2012, 10:57:40 AM »

Maybe this weekend.  In fact, yes, this weekend.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #509 on: June 14, 2012, 06:52:39 PM »

Please!
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #510 on: June 17, 2012, 10:35:22 PM »

Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #511 on: June 24, 2012, 12:39:17 AM »

Entering 2007, President Presley stands at an all time high in popularity.  The economy, after having been in decline when Presley took office, has rebounded fully and improved under Presley.

Presley takes advantage of the situation to push through a major piece of legislation.  The first is the Taylor-Gramm-Cochran Act.  Jointly sponsored by Congressman Gene Taylor (D-MS), Senator Phil Gramm (R-TX) and Senator Thad Cochran (R-MS), the legislation would remove barriers in the market among banking companies, securities companies and insurance companies that prohibited any one institution from acting as any combination of an investment bank, a commercial bank, and an insurance company, repealing parts of the Glass-Steagall Act of 1933.

During debate over the bill, it becomes apparent that a majority of Congress favors the changes.  However, liberals in Congress strongly oppose the change, with Congressman John Dingell (D-MI) warning that “In the near future, probably before many of us have left this body, we will have banks that are ‘Too big to fail’, and they will start to fail.  And then we will answer for our mistakes.”  However, despite Dingell’s warning, the Act passes the House on June 15 by a vote of 345-89 (250-3 among GOP, 95-86 among Democrats).  In the Senate, a Ted Kennedy-led filibuster is overcome, and the Senate passes the bill on November 29 by a vote of 87-13 (55-1 among GOP, 32-11 among Democrats, 0-1 among Independents).  The Act is signed into law by Presley on December 9.

On August 14 Justice Stephanie Kulp Seymour retires, and Presley appoints Judge John Roberts to replace her.  Roberts is confirmed without controversy, 87-3.

On January 7, 2008, Justice Birch Bayh dies of a stroke.  President Presley nominates Solicitor General Paul Clement to replace him.  Clement runs into liberal opposition, but he is eventually confirmed on February 26 by a vote of 73-27.

Following Clement’s confirmation, Presley begins his reelection campaign.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #512 on: June 24, 2012, 01:24:48 AM »

The Democratic Nomination

The popularity of President Presley scares off many high profile Democrats, with popular choices like former Vice President Breaux and Senator Russ Feingold (WI) declining to run.  In the end, several candidates declare: Governor John Baldacci of Maine, Senator Tom Carper of Delaware, Senator Jeff Bingaman of New Mexico, and Governor Brad Henry of Oklahoma.

Early in the race, no candidate appears to have much of a lead, with polling showing no candidate nationally over 30%.  The Iowa Caucus is a divided affairs, with Henry winning at 34%, followed by Bingaman (31%), Baldacci (26%), and Carper (9%).  New Hampshire is a complete reverse, with Baldacci (37%), followed by Carper (25%), Bingaman (23%), and Henry (15%).

South Carolina is a win for the semi-Southern Henry, taking 40% with Carper (24%), Bingaman (21%), and Baldacci (15%) trailing.  Nevada is an easy win for nearby Bingaman (46%), with Henry (25%), Carper (20%), and Baldacci (9%) trailing.  On Super Tuesday the pack separates, with Henry (Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Minnesota, New Jersey, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Wisconsin) and Bingaman (Arizona, Illinois, New Mexico, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, Wyoming) easily dominating Baldacci (Maine, Massachusetts), and Carper (Delaware).  Carper then drops out, and endorses Henry.

Over the next month, however, Baldacci responds by winning several primaries (California, Connecticut, Michigan, New York), while both Henry (Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina) and Bingaman (Montana) struggle.  In early March, Mini-Tuesday provides the final blow to Bingaman, as he fails to win primaries in Florida (Henry), Texas (Baldacci), or Pennsylvania (Baldacci).  He then drops out and endorses Baldacci, providing him with the necessary resources to finish his comeback, and at the DNC, he chooses Bingaman to be his running mate.

The Republican Nomination

The extremely popular Presley is renominated by acclamation, with an optimistic GOP looking towards November.

The General Election

From the start, Baldacci faces an uphill battle.  In the debates Presley is confident and charismatic, while Baldacci fails to connect.  Baldacci fails to give the voters a reason to vote for him, and Presley is reelected overwhelmingly.

Elvis Presley/Gordon Smith: 55.6% PV, 435 EV
John Baldacci/Jeff Bingaman: 43.3% PV, 103 EV

The Congressional Elections

The Presley landslide leads to major Republican gains in Congress, where they establish their biggest majorities since before the New Deal.

Senate Results

Republicans: 59 (+3)
Democrats: 40 (-3)
Independent: 1 (-)

House Results
Republicans: 282 (+29)
Democrats: 153 (-29)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #513 on: June 24, 2012, 10:53:42 AM »

Awesome stuff, thanks for updating! I have a bad feeling about Presley's second term though...
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #514 on: June 24, 2012, 01:34:28 PM »

This is great.  Was Chafee the Repub who voted against it, and I assume Bernie Sanders is the indie?  Thanks for the update; keep it up!  Wink
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #515 on: June 25, 2012, 12:59:35 AM »

This is great.  Was Chafee the Repub who voted against it, and I assume Bernie Sanders is the indie?  Thanks for the update; keep it up!  Wink

Correct, and thanks Smiley
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #516 on: June 25, 2012, 01:50:27 PM »

The Second Term of Elvis Presley

Beginning his second term, President Presley sees a mandate from the American people for true conservative change.  In the weeks following his reelection, he works with advisers to implement his conservative vision.

In early February, he reveals his major bill.  Officially called the Government Restructuring Act of 2009, it is informally called the “Slash and Burn Act”.  The legislation would eliminate five Cabinet Departments (Labor, HHS, Housing, Transportation, and Veterans’ Affairs), merging them with Treasury, Interior, and Defense respectively.

Immediately after arriving in the House the legislation provokes controversy.  In the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, Chairman Darrell Issa attempts to kill the legislation by leaving it in his committee; this only works until Speaker Gingrich forces him to report the Act.  In response to liberal threats to introduce poison amendments, Rules Committee Chairman David Dreier (R-CA) pushes the bill forward with a no-amendment rule.  During debate in the House moderate and liberal Republicans vent their frustration, with Issa calling the Act “a monstrosity and an example of ideological rigidity gone too far.”  Congressman Mike Castle (R-DE) notes that the Act represents “the most drastic attempted reorganization of government since FDR’s court packing plan seventy years ago.”  However, on July 16, 2009, by a vote of 219-216, the Act is passed.  Only one Democrat, Gene Taylor of Mississippi, votes in favor, while 64 Republicans vote against it.

In the Senate, the legislation faces significant challenges.  Like in the House, the Committee to which the legislation is referred to faces a recalcitrant Chairman, in the form of Alaska Senator Frank Murkowski.  Murkowski refuses to let the Act out, and it is not until early January that it reaches the Senate floor.  During the debate in the Senate, liberals launch into an extended filibuster, with liberal Republicans like Olympia Snowe of Maine attacking Presley for not allowing Republicans to see the bill before being given to Congress.  On April 17 Majority Leader McConnell calls for cloture, which fails after getting just 52 votes, 8 short of the necessary 60.  On May 3 McConnell announces he will try again on May 10.  On May 8, however, McConnell suffers a massive heart attack after meeting with liberal Republicans, and passes away the next morning.  The Senate recesses for his funeral, and when the Senate reconvenes on May 18, Jon Kyl of Arizona is elected Majority Leader.  Two weeks later, on June 3, Kyl calls for cloture, losing 58-41.  The next day he meets with Presley privately, informing him that “Mr. President, we don’t have the votes.  [The liberals] will delay this thing until Congress ends, and then we’ll have to start all over again.”  Dejected, Presley tells Kyl to look for a compromise.  The new Act, however, is rejected by the Senate on September 2 by a vote of 48-52, and it is never introduced in the House.  Presley, despite his landslide win, fails to achieve anything of substance.

The Congressional Elections
During the debate, public opinion turns sharply against Presley, forcing him to campaign vigorously for the legislation.  By the time the Senate compromise is rejected, Presley’s approval rating has fallen from 64% on January 20, 2009 to 37%.  As a result, Republicans suffer a pounding in the midterm elections, losing seven seats in the Senate and actually losing their majority in the House in the largest single year loss for a party in the House since the GOP lost 101 seats in 1932.

Senate Results

Republicans: 52 (-7)
Democrats: 47 (+7)
Independent: 1 (-)

House Results
Democrats: 235 (+82)
Republicans: 200 (-82)
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #517 on: June 25, 2012, 05:03:48 PM »

Really?  Just because of one failed bill?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #518 on: June 25, 2012, 06:53:53 PM »

Think of the negative reaction to ObamaCare, not cube that, and square the resulting number; that is the negative reaction to what happened here.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #519 on: June 25, 2012, 10:58:45 PM »

If y'all are interested, I'm uploading the CD results to the Gallery; so far we have 1964, 1968, and 1972.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #520 on: June 26, 2012, 12:14:16 AM »

Think of the negative reaction to ObamaCare, not cube that, and square the resulting number; that is the negative reaction to what happened here.

?  Anyway, I still think this is just a minor thing, and his approvals would remain above 50%, but that's just my opinion.  More please Wink
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #521 on: September 02, 2012, 02:26:56 PM »

So I meant to finish this before leaving for college, but left my notes at home.  So I'll try for an update in early October.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #522 on: September 02, 2012, 03:03:41 PM »

Cool stuff man.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #523 on: September 03, 2012, 12:44:45 PM »

Thanks.  I've been at this one a long time.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #524 on: November 15, 2012, 01:45:03 PM »

5 months without an update is a long time.  I'll try and do one soon.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies