JFK Lives (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 04:17:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  JFK Lives (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: JFK Lives  (Read 161434 times)
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« on: January 14, 2009, 04:42:45 PM »

Jackson-Humphrey or (vice-versa) in '72!!!

Why would Senator Jackson accept the position as Senator Humphrey's running mate when he was already selected as Vice President Smathers' in 1968? If anything I'm expecting one of the many "New South" Governors, such as Reubin Askew or Jimmy Carter, to be selected by Humphrey, if of course, Humphrey does win the Democratic Nomination in 1972. However, I could be completely wrong.

As for the timeline, Benjamin, continue the good work. Hopefully this timeline does not fall off the wagon like your previous timeline, TR elected in 1912. If you long for your timeline to not meet similar fate I would happily suggest an excellent remedy. Foreign events, such as elections, wars, etc and a lot of them. However, make sure you find the right balance between both domestic and foreign events.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 12:12:44 AM »

Excellent update, as always Ben Smiley.

With Richard Nixon now Governor of California, what's going on with Ronald Reagan? Was he elected Governor in 1966 as he was in RL or did he lose the Republican Primary to the former Vice President? Anyway, I hope he will not make appearance in this timeline. However, I would be pleased if he made a miraculous political comeback and lost whatever political office he were perusing.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 08:25:27 PM »

WOW - I didn't expect Old Hube to defeat President Tower in 1972 Wink. An interesting update nonetheless.

However, I do have some questions regarding your latest update and they are as follows:

1. With no violence taking place at the 1968 Democratic National Convention in Chicago, I assume that the McGovern-Fraser Commission never occurs? thus, the Democratic parties system of electing her presidential candidate remains the same?

2. Why does Senator George McGovern endorse Senator Hubert Humphrey for the Presidency of the United States in 1972? Both men absolutely despised each other, thus I find such an endorsement highly implausible. Unless, of course, there was some secret negotiation between the two men, as seen betweeen Harriman and Stevenson in my TL.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 08:43:31 PM »

Thanks for clearing that up Smiley.

I must admit, my queries regarding the friendship between Senators McGovern and Humphrey was purely based on the McGovern/Humphrey relationship seen during the 1972 Democratic primaries, in particular during the time between June and August of that year. However, a bit of anti-Humphrey bias, inspired by the writings of Hunter S. Thompson did also provoke me to ask such questions.

Also, why did President Tower lose the typical Republican strongholds of Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine to Senator Humphrey? Surely Governor Maddox's campaign wouldn't have had such drastic consequences in the results of those three states. After all, Governor Wallaces' RL 1968 campaign failed to receive more than four percent in those states in question.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 07:17:55 PM »

Australia:  In the 1966 General Elections, Harold Holt scores a major victory, and is reelected; his party wins again in 1970, and elections are scheduled for March, 1973.

Fair enough, however, I believe that if Holt's Government was re-elected in 1970 (that's of course if he returned from his swim at Cheviot Beach on December 17) that his Government would have succumbed to internal scandals, such as the infamous VIP affair seen in RL, and he would have either resigned the Prime Ministership or be removed as leader after the 1970 election.

As always, I do have some questions regarding your timeline. What is Gough Whitlam doing as of 1972, and what are the prospects of the ALP being elected at the next election? and who is Prime Minister Harold Holt's likely successor as Prime Minister, if he and his Liberals lose in 1973?
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 04:47:45 PM »

Oh noes! Its falling off the wagon once more. Where are all of the foreign events and pictures which you said you would include more of? by my calculations I have only found two, and potentially the possibility of a third. Whilst its good to cover domestic affairs, which you do well, I believe, its integral to an excellent timeline to have a good balance between both foreign and domestic events. Just thought I'd lend a helping hand.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 01:58:04 AM »

Like your previous timeline, this has jumped the shark once more.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 11:33:46 PM »

Benjamin

If you can't think of anything to write why not summarise what you were intending to write, provided with complimentary electoral maps! Plenty of other forumites, such as HC have do so and that hasn't hindered the appreciation of their timelines, so I highly suggest you doing so yourself. That's what I was planning on doing but I had no idea what was going to happen after 1958.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies