Civ 4
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:34:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Civ 4
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Civ 4  (Read 8199 times)
Tyrion The Unbanned
Ogis24
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 31, 2008, 04:44:33 PM »

What is your opinion of this game? Mine is highly positive.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 04:45:48 PM »

Never played it, though from what I heard they did away with pollution. If true, that would suck.
Tyrion The Unbanned
Ogis24
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 04:47:48 PM »

no, pollution i believe is still part of the game, unless i am mistaken
i havent played in a while, so i might not be remembering correctly
i also believe that they added nuclear fallout, which is interesting
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 04:54:40 PM »

Always loved the Civ series. Im a Culture Monger, but Civ Rev is so simplistic I have been able to try some other things as well, like military and economic. I love that you can make the games last anywhere from an hour or two to days on end. The customization and complexity (or lack thereof in Rev) makes it one of my favorite strategy games.
Tyrion The Unbanned
Ogis24
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 05:12:33 PM »

i actually enjoy complexity, that is why i play civ 4 on harder difficulties
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 04:37:58 AM »

I like it. I don't have one of the expansions for it, although I do have the Warlords expansion.
Tyrion The Unbanned
Ogis24
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 03:50:22 PM »

i have the beyond the sword expansion and it really makes gameplay more fun
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2009, 09:46:18 PM »

Never played it, though from what I heard they did away with pollution. If true, that would suck.

Heard wrong.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2009, 09:54:14 PM »

Always loved the Civ series. Im a Culture Monger, but Civ Rev is so simplistic I have been able to try some other things as well, like military and economic. I love that you can make the games last anywhere from an hour or two to days on end. The customization and complexity (or lack thereof in Rev) makes it one of my favorite strategy games.

I never really try to "win" as it were.  I enjoy playing just to play.

I play with 15 civs, usually, more than that and you never get to seriously interact with most of them.

I also usually start slightly advanced (I love that you can do that).  Start with enough points to have two cities, and all of the first column techs (the wheel, agriculture, etc).

Now that we are talking about it, I really wanna play.  I have all the expansions as well.
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2009, 10:14:29 PM »

Civ 2 owns
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2009, 11:09:58 PM »

Yeah, I really loved how you could basically launch an ICBM and then repark it on the otherside of the world without it going off.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2009, 11:34:58 PM »

I really like Civ 4.  Used to play it more, enough for a really fun game of being the Buddhist Holy Roman Empire and taking over half the world at Prince difficulty level.  So when I tried again after a few month hiatus I didn't fare very well, but alas Wink

Most, if not quite all, of my victories are either Scientific or Diplomatic.
Tyrion The Unbanned
Ogis24
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2009, 11:44:10 PM »

i turn off scientific and diplomatic victories because I like longer games that don't end abruptly
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2009, 12:39:20 AM »

I really like Civ 4.  Used to play it more, enough for a really fun game of being the Buddhist Holy Roman Empire and taking over half the world at Prince difficulty level.  So when I tried again after a few month hiatus I didn't fare very well, but alas Wink

Yay! Another non-war monger! I find it all but impossible to do without it being a deul on a small map. I cannot stop the urge to build.....so many buildings.....and by the time you have a theatre, stonehenge, obelisk, and a great artist, well hell, you might as well just try and go for the 'ol culture kill. Smiley And that my friends is the story of just about every game of Civ I have ever played lol.
Tyrion The Unbanned
Ogis24
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2009, 12:41:19 AM »

Yay! Another non-war monger! I find it all but impossible to do without it being a deul on a small map. I cannot stop the urge to build.....so many buildings.....and by the time you have a theatre, stonehenge, obelisk, and a great artist, well hell, you might as well just try and go for the 'ol culture kill. Smiley And that my friends is the story of just about every game of Civ I have ever played lol.

The one thing that is really interesting about civ 4 is the ridiculous culture rates you can get up to
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2009, 01:45:31 AM »

I'm not a war monger either.  I actually get pissed off when wars interrupt my building and expansion.

I usually only go to war if attacked, but though not the aggressor, I am aggressive once I get into the fight.  I usually keep five carrier groups, if I can (a group for me is one carrier, a battleship, and four destroyers) and focus my army around the notion of blitzkrieg.
Tyrion The Unbanned
Ogis24
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2009, 02:19:38 PM »

How do you respond when you share borders with your enemy? You mentioned naval, but what about ground?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2009, 05:05:49 PM »

How do you respond when you share borders with your enemy? You mentioned naval, but what about ground?

I mentioned ground.

To expand, pre-mobile warfare, I usually employ a defensive army.  Once I have tanks, I build an army around blitzkrieg-type tactics.  Alot of air units, tanks and airborne divisions to hit them fast and hard.  Take key cities quickly and leave them having to fight me in their cities.  Offensive war is very difficult in the game (as I am sure you know), so prior to having decent mobility, I really don't bother, unless a target city is right on my boarder, and next to a couple cities that can pump out units quickly, and even after tanks, planes and trains, I usually don't attempt large take overs.  Basically, I get aggressive quickly and then slug it out, let them get tired.  In early ages, I just slug it out.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2009, 05:12:53 PM »
« Edited: January 02, 2009, 06:03:06 PM by Supersoulty »

I also attack their strategic resources as quickly as possible, either with bombing runs, or nukes.

I don't usually use nukes to target cities, because simply beating up one or two cities really isn't going to do much to an enemy.  50% population reduction does not justify the effort and negative press, in my mind, so I use them to take out oil fields, iron and aluminum mines... other things that are going to prevent the enemy from building good units for several turns.  That has a far greater impact on the over-all strategic situation.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2009, 05:22:07 PM »

Never played, but I've regularly played Civ3 and expansions. since it came out.  In fact, I was just downlaoding maps and trying them out yesterday.  Easily my favorite game of all time.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2009, 09:28:16 PM »

I'd also like to note that 8.9% of my iTunes Library consists of Civilization IV songs, showcasing my depressing lack of music pirating Smiley
Tyrion The Unbanned
Ogis24
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2009, 10:01:56 PM »

I also attack their strategic resources as quickly as possible, either with bombing runs, or nukes.

I don't usually use nukes to target cities, because simply beating up one or two cities really isn't going to do much to an enemy.  50% population reduction does not justify the effort and negative press, in my mind, so I use them to take out oil fields, iron and aluminum mines... other things that are going to prevent the enemy from building good units for several turns.  That has a far greater impact on the over-all strategic situation.

That is a good strategy. I tend to spend turns lining up troops right along my borders and attack when I feel like it. The bad thing is that these guys are prone to making alliances, and that makes me weak on the backside (I only do this in early times when mobility is an issue).
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2009, 10:13:14 PM »

I'd also like to note that 8.9% of my iTunes Library consists of Civilization IV songs, showcasing my depressing lack of music pirating Smiley

Their musical selections are excellent, though.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2009, 10:21:30 PM »

That is a good strategy. I tend to spend turns lining up troops right along my borders and attack when I feel like it. The bad thing is that these guys are prone to making alliances, and that makes me weak on the backside (I only do this in early times when mobility is an issue).

I only get caught off guard if attacked early in the game.  By the industrial era, I usually know who I ought to suspect, and have developed some plan for almost every possible wartime scenario.  There is no such thing as a losing war if you make a plan ahead of time.  And there is no reason you cannot position your forces to react to multiple attacks, or even take on multiple opponents at once.  You just need to plan ahead.

My navy usually dominates the seas, by the modern era (navies are too expensive and ineffective prior developing destroyers, so I don't do much with them before hand), and I can react to literally any situation, anywhere in the world with in a couple turns, even if my response is just a solid blockade and bombing runs.
Tyrion The Unbanned
Ogis24
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2009, 10:42:18 PM »

I only get caught off guard if attacked early in the game.  By the industrial era, I usually know who I ought to suspect, and have developed some plan for almost every possible wartime scenario.  There is no such thing as a losing war if you make a plan ahead of time.  And there is no reason you cannot position your forces to react to multiple attacks, or even take on multiple opponents at once.  You just need to plan ahead.

My navy usually dominates the seas, by the modern era (navies are too expensive and ineffective prior developing destroyers, so I don't do much with them before hand), and I can react to literally any situation, anywhere in the world with in a couple turns, even if my response is just a solid blockade and bombing runs.

True. Blockading is an important tactic that gets glossed over a bit sometimes. I tend to concentrate more upon the ground though, as opposed to my navy. I tend to stack all my new units upon lines of attack, so I end up with a weak backside regardless. I only do this in the early stages, however.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies