Alright, Huntsman Jr.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 12:31:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Alright, Huntsman Jr.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Alright, Huntsman Jr.  (Read 3090 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 04, 2009, 04:35:21 AM »

Obviously I don't need this since I've been a booster of his political prospects for over a year now, but for newcomers:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Huntsman,_Jr.

He's expressed interest in running for the presidency.

Here's my question.  What would need to come together for him to secure the nomination?  For once, I won't preach [but get ready for it later].  Will Huntsman's prospects of beating out his primary opponents go up if Obama does well his in his first term, or will Huntsman do worse if Republican potentials smell blood?

Given the primary schedule I would assume Huntsman would need to win the plurality in Iowa to have a chance
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 04:53:39 AM »
« Edited: January 04, 2009, 04:58:13 AM by I could not think of a good user name »

He is more likely to win the primaries if Obama does well. If he does badly then the top contenders will be Huckabee and Romney among others. Huntsman would only be a minor candidate at best. Many of the candidates that would run under a bad Obama term (Huckabee and Romney for example), would not if he is popular.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 04:56:05 AM »

Is he term-limited in 2012?
Nixon in '80
nixon1980
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.84, S: -5.39

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 05:44:31 AM »

I've heard (on this forum) that Huntsman and Romney are total butt buddies and Huntsman won't run if Romney does... and Romney looks certain to run.

I don't know if that's true, but it's what I've heard. Any confirmations/refutations?
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 05:47:01 AM »

I've heard (on this forum) that Huntsman and Romney are total butt buddies and Huntsman won't run if Romney does... and Romney looks certain to run.

I don't know if that's true, but it's what I've heard. Any confirmations/refutations?

Well they're both Mormons. And it's well-documented that all the Mormons know each other.
Nixon in '80
nixon1980
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.84, S: -5.39

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 06:21:16 AM »

Well they're both Mormons. And it's well-documented that all the Mormons know each other.

You know all the ridiculous lies people spread about the Jews between 1880-1945...

most of them are true of the Mormons.

Except the eating children part.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 11:57:43 AM »

would he be able to raise the money for a serious run?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2009, 11:59:29 AM »

I think he's already quite welathy.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2009, 01:14:54 PM »

I think he's already quite welathy.

Also, don't discount Mormon fundraising power.
pragmatic liberal

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2009, 06:46:55 PM »

Well, he endorsed McCain in the primaries over Romney, which suggests he and Mitt aren't especially close.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2009, 08:28:55 PM »

Indeed.

A better question is how does Huntsman Jr. differentiate himself from a generic Republican?

*International experience & speaks Chinese fluently (if China's on people's mind)
*Two adopted Asian daughters & nice family
*Quite religious but perhaps not the right kind of religious (good for some, bad for Southern Baptists)
*Business experience and thus far a pretty darn good term in office
*Fairly moderate & like McCain was a vocal proponent of reducing global warming before it became cool for Republicans to do so

That's about it.  I think he could play ok in the Southwest but would have a harder time in states like North Carolina where Southern Baptists may prefer a black Christian incumbent over a Mormon
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2009, 08:30:18 PM »

How would that affect potential tossup states?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2009, 08:42:12 PM »

Well, the Mormon things affects Southern tossup states.

He has a nice biography/image, and plenty of experience in almost every arena, I guess that's the only difference, but that's the type of thing most people vote on anyway.  Obviously the biggest difference is who can run the best campaign that connects with the most people.

I suppose if a GOP candidate had labor connections he could appeal to the Midwest or if the candidate was Hispanic that could help in various states.  *shrug*  I guess I think a successful candidacy is built less on microtargeting swing-state demographics and more on managerial skills, positive image projection [likability, seems aware of people's problems, speaking skills],  and a great campaign platform.   I look at people like Huntsman Jr. and Bobby Jindal and I think of them as people that could manage a solid campaign while I look at Palin and I just have no trust in her ability to surround herself with competent people and create minimal campaign-derailing gaffes.
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2009, 08:43:37 PM »

Missouri, Virginia and NC perhaps?
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2009, 09:05:27 PM »

I like Huntsman. But I think he's really too generic, personality-wise, to be able to make inroads in a primary. And Romney will run 2012 regardless of his chances, which would split the Mormon fundraising machine. I would expect a Richardson-like performance, electorally.

But, if Romney does pass up the chance, and so do Huckabee, Palin, Giuliani, and all other big-name Republicans, he could win the nomination. Certainly not a bad longshot to tip.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2009, 06:49:48 PM »

He has an interesting bio and resume, but his RNC speech was so bad I can't see him being successful outside of Utah.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2009, 08:37:25 PM »

Maybe something like this, if Obama approve ratings are in the mid-50s.

Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2009, 04:52:38 AM »

Maybe something like this, if Obama approve ratings are in the mid-50s.

I don't know, I think he's a generic Republican who might do a little bit better in the West than an anti-environmental type and worse in the South than a non-Mormon.  If he wins it's because of something besides microtargeting swing state demographics.  I mean, like I said, it'd be nice for the GOP's electoral-map prospects to have a Republican that's a member of a Union or is Hispanic or something that is important in swing states, but I just don't see that in 2012.

I don't think a map is particularly relevant, since it's basically our own personal opinions.

One interesting thing is that I think that Southern discomfort with Mormons would have been much more mitigated in this election with Obama's own religion/legitimacy/etc in doubt.  I imagine if Obama can keep up religious & devout pretenses over the next four years, an admittedly small [but significant?] number of Southerners who would vote against a Mormon for his religion will have an easier time doing so in '12 than in 2008
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies