what happened to vermont? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:44:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  what happened to vermont? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: what happened to vermont?  (Read 12165 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

« on: February 26, 2004, 12:14:34 PM »

wha tis the majority opinion here:

did vermont become more democratic because...

a.) the gop keeps moving to the right, which has turned off the more liberal 'yankee republicans'

b.) the influx of more liberal people from places like nyc.  (i do recall some kind of article about 'taking over vermont'...i think it appeared in playboy in the 60s?)

c.) all of the above.

a) is actually a slight misinterpretation of what I meant, though it's a perfectly understandable misundersanding...
It's not so much that the GOP has moved to the right, more that the left-right paradigm has changed (is now more defined much more in social than in economic terms, for example) and this has cast the Liberal Republicans of old into the Democratic party. The opposite has happened to many Democrats in other parts of the country.

But while there is of course immigration into Vermont and Maine from New York and Southern New England, it is much less pronounced than in New Hampshire, and this fact is the main reason behind New Hampshire's more conservative recent record. I stand by that statement.

I think you're exactly right about the majority of escapees from MA, CT, RI, and NY being conservative relative to those who remain.  This relates to my point about Nevada and Arizona - I don't think Democrats should get their hopes up too much there because most of the immigrants to those states from California and the East will tend to be Republicans.  Escaping bad government and a bad community by changing states or just moving to the Suburbs is a very right-wing thing to do.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies