Kurt Warner...wtf?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:14:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Kurt Warner...wtf?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Kurt Warner...wtf?  (Read 5610 times)
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 06, 2009, 01:43:12 AM »

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/2009/01/thats-good.html

Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 10:32:43 AM »

Did he say he believed Jesus and the Father were "two separate beings"?!

I have always thought the wording of the Trinity Doctrine, "three persons", was a very very poor choice of words that has confused many Christians, like Kurt Warner, and led Muslims and Jews to believe Christianity isn't monotheistic.

The simple truth of Christianity is that God manifested himself in human flesh, and the identity of that "being" inside of that flesh was the one and only Supreme Being, God.  And it is in complete agreement with the bible to claim that the being inside of the flesh we know as Jesus Christ, was none other than God the Father.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 04:13:17 PM »

I figured his theological views would draw your attention jmfcst, but the whole spiritual ramblings while doodling God/Jesus was somewhat amusing/borderline crazy...Not necessarily bad crazy but the type of crazy you see when you combine John Madden, religion and a telestrator.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 05:57:30 PM »

I figured his theological views would draw your attention jmfcst, but the whole spiritual ramblings while doodling God/Jesus was somewhat amusing/borderline crazy...Not necessarily bad crazy but the type of crazy you see when you combine John Madden, religion and a telestrator.

I actually stopped watching when I heard him claim two separate beings.

but i'll tune back in when i have a chance and listen to all of it.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 06:09:49 PM »

just watched it.  I think he, like all of us, are kinda blow away with trying to wrap our minds around God coming to earth in the form of a man

...but now that I've seen the whole video, I think it was pretty cool and praiseworthy.  Maybe a little eccentric and slightly misguided, but Kurt Warner makes a good witness for Jesus Christ.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 08:46:39 PM »

just watched it.  I think he, like all of us, are kinda blow away with trying to wrap our minds around God coming to earth in the form of a man

...but now that I've seen the whole video, I think it was pretty cool and praiseworthy.  Maybe a little eccentric and slightly misguided, but Kurt Warner makes a good witness for Jesus Christ.

He's a good guy, I still dislike him from his rams days (that first NFC championship game is burned into my memory when the rams beat the iggles).  But he's a decent human being who's used his extraordinary circumstances (going from grocery boy/man to MVP)  for good.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 09:42:01 PM »

Did he say he believed Jesus and the Father were "two separate beings"?!

I have always thought the wording of the Trinity Doctrine, "three persons", was a very very poor choice of words that has confused many Christians, like Kurt Warner, and led Muslims and Jews to believe Christianity isn't monotheistic.

The simple truth of Christianity is that God manifested himself in human flesh, and the identity of that "being" inside of that flesh was the one and only Supreme Being, God.  And it is in complete agreement with the bible to claim that the being inside of the flesh we know as Jesus Christ, was none other than God the Father.

That's the evangelical theological take for you.  Because a religious concept can be confusing, it must be wrong.

This reminds me of the time someone argued to me that "transubstantiation" is a false teaching, backed up with the notion that it was hard for this person to pronounce, and therefore, made up.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 11:41:55 PM »

have you ever noticed that you constantly defend your doctrine more than you defend scripture?
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 12:27:46 AM »

I am no longer a Christian (I was raised Catholic), but I watched the Warner video and it didn't sound too theologically off to me.  If I remember my trinitarian theology correctly, it claims that there are three persons (persona = personality or mask) in one substance (ousia).  The substance is Godhood or Divinity and the three persona are father, son and holy spirit.  Insofar as these beings are differentiable, and the Christian Bible clearly claims they are (Jesus prays to the father and says that after he has risen, the father will send "another," the Peraclete), then in that sense one can claim that there are three "beings" there, but that they are, as Warner put it, "connected...in spirit."  Besides, if I'm not mistaken, he was giving his explanation to kids, not an audience at Union Theological Seminary, so some casual language is expectable. 
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2009, 07:27:18 PM »

have you ever noticed that you constantly defend your doctrine more than you defend scripture?

If by my doctrine you mean my interpretation of scripture, then I don't see how I can seperate the two.

Your doctrine seems to me to be largely predicated on taking a few versus of scripture out of context, and then taking the notion of scripture itself out of context, just to make it clear to everyone that you can't be convinced by reason.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2009, 09:48:55 PM »

If by my doctrine you mean my interpretation of scripture, then I don't see how I can seperate the two.

Your doctrine seems to me to be largely predicated on taking a few versus of scripture out of context, and then taking the notion of scripture itself out of context, just to make it clear to everyone that you can't be convinced by reason.

the next time you fell I am taking a verse out of context, then simply state what the correct context really is.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2009, 09:01:56 PM »

Well, this doctrine is probably the hardest to understand. That's why there are Orthodox, Catholic and Arian Christians.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2009, 09:24:10 PM »

Well, this doctrine is probably the hardest to understand. That's why there are Orthodox, Catholic and Arian Christians.

also, Mormons reject the notion of a trinity in that they believe Jesus was the product of physical sex between God the father, incarnated as a man, and Mary, and the resultant Mormon Jesus was thereby half-God, half-man.  this was the second incarnation of God (Elohim) in physical, human form as Adam, the first male on Earth, was also God.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2009, 02:17:45 PM »

also, Mormons reject the notion of a trinity in that they believe Jesus was the product of physical sex between God the father, incarnated as a man, and Mary, and the resultant Mormon Jesus was thereby half-God, half-man.  this was the second incarnation of God (Elohim) in physical, human form as Adam, the first male on Earth, was also God.

does this theory even deserve mention?  it's pure heresy
Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2009, 02:35:20 PM »

Born agains creep me out.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies