Ireland 2009
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:18:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Ireland 2009
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11]
Author Topic: Ireland 2009  (Read 67209 times)
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: September 25, 2009, 07:32:55 PM »

That first "sandcastle" poster is one of the best things ever. I'm putting it in my sig.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #251 on: September 25, 2009, 07:37:13 PM »

For the Record I agree that the campaigns of both sides have been embarrasing. Just the "No" side and particularly Coir have been beyond the pale, so to speak. Generally speaking, it is probably good idea to vote against any proposition which is supported by Sinn Fein, Coir and the various factions of the anti-everything brigade, meaningless political parties usually with the words "workers" or "people" in their official name - which is funny given that they lack both workers and for that matter, people, as members.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #252 on: September 26, 2009, 10:19:44 AM »

That first "sandcastle" poster is one of the best things ever. I'm putting it in my sig.

I like determined toddler.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #253 on: September 26, 2009, 12:36:26 PM »

I know: he looks like a cross between a crybaby bully and a would-be fascist leader.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #254 on: September 26, 2009, 01:02:51 PM »

Further to the TNSmrbi Lisbon poll the other day, tomorrow's Sunday Business Post/RedC poll gives the Yes side a more substantial lead: 55-27-18 (+1; +2; -3 respectively).

Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #255 on: September 26, 2009, 01:18:12 PM »

I'm predicting a narrow YES win; probably around the same margin as the NO win last time - maybe a bit more.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #256 on: September 26, 2009, 01:45:14 PM »

I know: he looks like a cross between a crybaby bully and a would-be fascist leader.

What's the kid in the back doing?
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #257 on: September 26, 2009, 01:47:17 PM »

Crying over his destroyed sandcastle or prostrating himself in front of the leader, what else?
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #258 on: September 26, 2009, 02:32:15 PM »

Crying over his destroyed sandcastle or prostrating himself in front of the leader, what else?

TBH, my impression was that the poster was satirising the racist overtones of elements of the No campaign. I figured it implied that the black kid had destroyed the white kid's sandcastle and the white kid was contemplating revenge! But maybe I'm over-reading it...
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #259 on: September 26, 2009, 02:57:48 PM »

TBH, my impression was that the poster was satirising the racist overtones of elements of the No campaign. I figured it implied that the black kid had destroyed the white kid's sandcastle and the white kid was contemplating revenge! But maybe I'm over-reading it...

Wait a minute... I didn't even notice the kid in the background might be black! CONSPIRACY!!111
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #260 on: September 26, 2009, 04:11:52 PM »

Wait a minute... I didn't even notice the kid in the background might be black! CONSPIRACY!!111

Kid in the back=scary foreigner?
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #261 on: September 26, 2009, 06:11:24 PM »

Kid in the back=scary foreigner?

No. SCARY SCARY FOREIGNER SCARY is more like it. Coir and libertas are basically trying to act like the right-wing parties we don't actually have. While their campaign may be effective (and some of Libertas' posters happen to even more ridiculous then the ones Jas posted) but they would fail hardcore and have failed hardcore if they ran in elections.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #262 on: September 26, 2009, 06:25:07 PM »

Libertas is back? How many seats did you win in June again, guys?
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #263 on: September 30, 2009, 03:22:21 AM »

Last full day of campaigning scaremongering today. (Silly broadcast restrictions prevent TV and radio broadcasting political campaign related stuff the day before polling.)

Also, the first polling has opened. Voting on the islands of Arranmore, Gola, Inishboffin, Inishfree and Tory (all in the Donegal SW constituency) occurs today - potentially around 800 votes. Voting on the islands often happens a day or two before elections in case the isalnds are effectively cut off by bad weather.

Clare Island, Inishbiggle and Inishturk (Mayo) vote tomorrow, along with the three Aran Islands and Inishbofin (Galway W). The various Cork islands will vote on Friday with everyone else.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #264 on: September 30, 2009, 04:02:53 AM »

It will be a sad day for European democracy when Ireland votes yes this week. I never get why the Irish allow their democracy to be treated like this - if you vote something down the verdict should be respected. The practice of running referenda again till the people vote the way they're told shouldn't be rewarded.

Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #265 on: September 30, 2009, 04:56:21 AM »

It will be a sad day for European democracy when Ireland votes yes this week. I never get why the Irish allow their democracy to be treated like this - if you vote something down the verdict should be respected. The practice of running referenda again till the people vote the way they're told shouldn't be rewarded.

Ireland did get concessions beforehand, so it's a slightly different treaty.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #266 on: September 30, 2009, 04:57:39 AM »

Could this backfire on the Irish PM? During the address to the UN of the President of Iran, the cameras panned across the people watching and showed a person in the Irish delegation's area and no one in the UK's area. Could the opposition say this shows that Ireland supports Iran?

People don't vote on those issues.

Irish neutrality, basically. They even allowed Soviet planes bound for Cuba to refuel at Shannon in 1962.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #267 on: September 30, 2009, 05:22:48 AM »

Ireland did get concessions beforehand, so it's a slightly different treaty.

Technically we got clarifications (which are to be adopted as part of the next Accession Treaty) and a committment to essentially maintaining one Commissioner per Member State rather than the proposed redcution to a Commission of around 18 members rotating between Member States. The Treaty itself is unchanged, which was a red line issue for the British as the prospect of having to re-ratify the thing was not something the British Government was willing to countenance.
Harry Hayfield
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #268 on: October 01, 2009, 03:18:54 AM »

May I be permitted to create an Ireland Referendum Results thread and start it off with a map showing the results from 2007 (via Google Earth) and a summary of the overall result in 2007?
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #269 on: October 01, 2009, 11:56:21 AM »

May I be permitted to create an Ireland Referendum Results thread and start it off with a map showing the results from 2007 (via Google Earth) and a summary of the overall result in 2007?

I was going to work away in this thread, but I've no objection to your suggestion.

For info, our thread on the first referendum has all the results from last time as well as some nice maps by Gully and Hashemite.

The RTÉ website for the 2008 referendum results is still there and gives quick numbers for each constituency on the last 3 Euro-referenda.

And this document details the results of all Irish referenda since 1937.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #270 on: October 01, 2009, 11:57:40 AM »

I've yet to ask (because of your damn neutralism)... but what way shall ye be voting tomorrow? Hide behind secret ballot if you wishes. Tongue
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #271 on: October 01, 2009, 12:33:36 PM »

I've yet to ask (because of your damn neutralism)... but what way shall ye be voting tomorrow? Hide behind secret ballot if you wishes. Tongue

Tongue
Reserving the right to change my mind, it's a tentative no from me atm.
Anyone out there interested in submitting arguments for or against and quite welcome btw!
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #272 on: October 01, 2009, 02:12:24 PM »

Tongue
Reserving the right to change my mind, it's a tentative no from me atm.
Anyone out there interested in submitting arguments for or against and quite welcome btw!

Pretty much myself actually despite my rant. The problem is arrogance vs retardation, which do I want to lose more? It's a difficult dilemma. (Whatever the result, I look forward to circa five years time when Iceland and Croatia join and the rules have to be re-configurated again and have another referendum - no doubt ABORTION OMG EUthANSIA OMG INFLUENCE MINIMUM WAGE OMG OMG!!11Oneelvenoneeleven!!11 will also be heard there then too.)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies