Want to reform Medicare? Start by killing Part D
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:36:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Want to reform Medicare? Start by killing Part D
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Want to reform Medicare? Start by killing Part D  (Read 963 times)
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 07, 2012, 07:13:32 PM »

It's only been around for 6 years. It was a cynical attempt by GWB to (successfully) win over seniors in Florida in 2004, and no one ever bothered to find a way to fund it.

Let's get rid of it. Republicans get to make a substantial entitlement reform. Democrats don't have to worry about this hurting their much younger voter base.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 07:24:38 PM »
« Edited: December 07, 2012, 07:42:10 PM by Sbane »

Do you have a better argument for it than that it was enacted last? Why is encouraging seniors to take maintenance medications such a bad thing? Medications, especially generics, cost way less than procedures do. And not taking medications eventually leads to more procedures....

BTW, I hope it doesn't sound like I am trying to defend the law that was passed. This is the same law that doesn't allow negotiations between Medicare and drug companies for drug prices. So there are certainly some things that need to be changed, but not addressing how seniors pay for drugs is not a sane way to go about things.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 08:02:59 PM »

I don't think eliminating the entire program is a good idea. But as mentioned above, it's ridiculous that the law doesn't allow for Medicare to bargain for drug prices. That should definitely be part of any reform package. It's really too bad this wasn't done as part of Obamacare, as I do remember Democrats used to talk about that aspect of the program quite a bit (especially after they took back Congress in 2006). The number I've seen is that that would save $156 billion over ten years.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 03:39:56 AM »

Why get rid of it? Just cut out the drug companies role as middlemen in the process and make all prescription drugs completely free of charge under Medicare.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 06:24:47 AM »

I don't think eliminating the entire program is a good idea. But as mentioned above, it's ridiculous that the law doesn't allow for Medicare to bargain for drug prices. That should definitely be part of any reform package. It's really too bad this wasn't done as part of Obamacare, as I do remember Democrats used to talk about that aspect of the program quite a bit (especially after they took back Congress in 2006). The number I've seen is that that would save $156 billion over ten years.

It's definitely something Hillary Clinton should consider running on -hell, she might even get it passed.  

Which is more than what I can say regarding TNF's proposal....  
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 10:47:12 AM »

It's definitely something Hillary Clinton should consider running on -hell, she might even get it passed.  

Which is more than what I can say regarding TNF's proposal....  

I'd support what he proposed there, and yes, I think Clinton could get it passed. My proposal, a sort of Pharmacare program, is possible but not really right now. There's too much drug company money in Washington to get it through right now, despite the fact that it would be a politically popular pitch to seniors and other elements of the Democratic coalition that are dependent upon prescription drugs.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 04:18:21 PM »

ObamaCare funds Medicare Part D.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 04:51:54 PM »

Why get rid of it? Just cut out the drug companies role as middlemen in the process and make all prescription drugs completely free of charge under Medicare.

How would that get rid of the drug companies as middlemen? Or are you proposing that the government start manufacturing drugs?
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 04:57:08 PM »

As small step towards preventative medicine (get your meds when you need them, rather than not and thus having to need surgery, which is way more expensive), repeal would be a step in entirely the wrong direction and would raise costs to the system, not lower them. Based on that criteria, I would say the chances of it thus being repealed rise considerably considering the intelligence of our political class.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 11:49:03 PM »

How would that get rid of the drug companies as middlemen? Or are you proposing that the government start manufacturing drugs?

I think I meant to type insurance companies. They make a killing off of part D, and they should be taken out of the picture, there.

My other proposal is that we simply remove the cost of prescription drugs for everyone, making it zero largely by having the federal government buy the drugs directly from Big Pharma and providing them free of charge to those who need them.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 12:01:43 AM »

I think I meant to type insurance companies. They make a killing off of part D, and they should be taken out of the picture, there.

My other proposal is that we simply remove the cost of prescription drugs for everyone, making it zero largely by having the federal government buy the drugs directly from Big Pharma and providing them free of charge to those who need them.

you think Big Pharma is making a killing now . . .
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2012, 12:56:05 AM »

It should probably be replaced with something, but yeah the way the law is written now, there are no price controls, and it's a giveaway to Big Pharma that was passed only because they held the vote open for hours during the middle of the night so that they could bribe and threaten enough Congressmen.

And Paul Ryan voted for it. What a hypocrite.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2013, 09:42:07 PM »

The only thing I would change is to allow negotiations to hold down drug prices.  That should be part of any reform. 

Getting rid of the program all together would be idiotic unless the Affordable Care Act is amended to provide prescription drug coverage for seniors. 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies