If McCain clinched the nomination who would be the VEEP pick?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:03:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2000 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  If McCain clinched the nomination who would be the VEEP pick?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If McCain clinched the nomination who would be the VEEP pick?  (Read 4349 times)
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 12, 2009, 12:53:17 AM »

McCain-Hutchison sounds right, I also think McCain-Santorum would be a possibilty, even though he hates McCain.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 02:05:42 AM »

In 2000? I don't think McCain and Santorum didn't start going at it until fairly recently. Even then, McCain came in to help Santorum in 2006 and they even worked on legislation together.

Truth be told, I don't know how much McCain even cares about Santorum. Unfortunately, it seemed like Rick just had some silly grudge (what it was really about, who knows) and decided to act ridiculous about it. If he was ever offered the running mate spot, he would have set aside the issue and accepted. He was supportive of McCain through the General election campaign this year.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 11:38:20 PM »

Ironically enough, the closest senators to McCain at that time were probably Chuck Hagel and Fred Thompson.  It might very well have been one of them.

RosettaStoned
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.45, S: -5.91

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 12:54:32 AM »

I think McCain would have picked Olympia Snowe.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 04:01:34 PM »

Olympia Snowe would have been a good pick for weakening the Democratic hold on New England. Sure, the last Greek-American to run for President had his own troubles as a candidate (including that he looked more like a gangster than like a statesman); Snowe had no such problem. Snowe actually had a state to offer that in real life went to Gore. Cheney had no state to offer that was in any way iffy.

In 2000 McCain was generally understood to be a moderate, and he would have been able to win on style. There might be an interesting timeline.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 11:50:01 AM »

Mayor of Wasilla, Alaska and mother of three, Sarah Palin.

He'd probably pick some Southerner, like Fred Thompson.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009, 08:21:24 AM »

Mayor of Wasilla, Alaska and mother of three, Sarah Palin.

He'd probably pick some Southerner, like Fred Thompson.

Phil Gramm might be a possibility. He was McCain's friend and would bolster his economic credentials.
On the other hand he might be considered damaged goods after his pathetic presidential campaign in 1996.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2009, 10:12:24 AM »

On the other hand he might be considered damaged goods after his pathetic presidential campaign in 1996.

Joe Biden, 1988/2008.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2009, 10:37:52 AM »

Joe Biden, 1988/2008.

Gramm wasn't forced out of the race because of a controversy or because his opponents left no room for him.
He was considered one of the frontrunners but he ran an awful campaign. A more apt comparison would be Rudy Giuliani.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 11:58:16 PM »

In 2000? I don't think McCain and Santorum didn't start going at it until fairly recently. Even then, McCain came in to help Santorum in 2006 and they even worked on legislation together.

Truth be told, I don't know how much McCain even cares about Santorum. Unfortunately, it seemed like Rick just had some silly grudge (what it was really about, who knows) and decided to act ridiculous about it. If he was ever offered the running mate spot, he would have set aside the issue and accepted. He was supportive of McCain through the General election campaign this year.

I don't understand how Rick Santorum can dislike McCain so much yet support Specter the turncoat over Toomey.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies